News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on February 06, 2012, 03:58:44 AM
BH - glad your horse is doing much better!

Radiant - I hate going to the dentist too!  I hate hate HATE getting my teeth picked at with the scrapey thing!

As for me, just thinking about how weird little kids can be.  This weekend, we spent quite a bit of time rearranging T's room.  He used to have this huge old hand-me-down dresser that we got from Jon's great aunt that literally took up one whole wall of his smallish bedroom, and a rocking chair.  With those, his bed, and a small bookcase, we really didn't have much room to put anything else in there, including the majority of his toys.  This weekend we moved out that huge dresser and the rocking chair, and got a bunch of storage stuff for his toys and a new kid-friendly dresser.  His room is awesome now, and has a ton more floor space (so much room for activities!) And he is scared to death to go to sleep in there.  I think it's just too much change all at once - suddenly his bed is in a different place, his bookcase is in a different place, his rocker is gone, his dresser is gone, and he's got all of this weird new furniture, and he finds this completely unsettling.  I had to lay in bed with him until he fell asleep tonight, which is not normal; he's been going to sleep on his own in his room since he was a baby.  It's funny how different kids are from adults; I would be psyched to get a bunch of new furniture and a new and improved bedroom.

Aww, poor little guy! Hope he settles in soon... I think he will, once he spends some time using all the floor space to play! :)

On my mind: I seem to notice that an awful lot of us at HAF who have children have 3 to 4 year olds... Funny coincidence!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on February 06, 2012, 03:14:32 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 06, 2012, 03:03:06 PM
I love getting a sub off topic. twenty minutes into class and not a thing done.  ;D
Counter productive young lady! Get back to work!  ;D

It wasn't just me. About half the class was in on it. Besides, she's the one who got into a ten minute rant about how wrong it was for Madonna to flip the bird during the half time show.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 06, 2012, 05:55:15 PM
I love getting a sub off topic. twenty minutes into class and not a thing done.  ;D

It wasn't just me. About half the class was in on it. Besides, she's the one who got into a ten minute rant about how wrong it was for Madonna to flip the bird during the half time show.

It's OK to slack off when you have a substitute teacher. Especially on a Monday or Friday! And I say that as someone who went to teacher's college, too, and is trying to get onto sub lists.  :P See, subs KNOW they aren't your regular teacher, don't command your immediate respect, don't know you personally, and don't have any idea where the class 'is' in the year, how the students are all doing, etc. When a sub's called in, the regular teacher sometimes leaves them busywork to make the students do... and if it's something that NEEDS to be done, like test review, finishing an assignment due shortly, etc, fine. Great, have at it.

But subs generally LOATHE it when they get into a classroom and see that the teacher's left them something like "have my students do these 3 or 4 absolutely useless worksheets to keep them quiet." Gah. That's a recipe for mutiny right there! In that case, the best thing a sub CAN do is chat with the students, or bring something in the SuperSpecialSecretSubBagTM that's interesting for the students to do, whether it's an educational game, a debate, or any number of tricks we put up our sleeves to be dragged out in emergencies.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on February 06, 2012, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 06, 2012, 05:55:15 PM

It's OK to slack off when you have a substitute teacher. Especially on a Monday or Friday! And I say that as someone who went to teacher's college, too, and is trying to get onto sub lists.  :P See, subs KNOW they aren't your regular teacher, don't command your immediate respect, don't know you personally, and don't have any idea where the class 'is' in the year, how the students are all doing, etc. When a sub's called in, the regular teacher sometimes leaves them busywork to make the students do... and if it's something that NEEDS to be done, like test review, finishing an assignment due shortly, etc, fine. Great, have at it.

But subs generally LOATHE it when they get into a classroom and see that the teacher's left them something like "have my students do these 3 or 4 absolutely useless worksheets to keep them quiet." Gah. That's a recipe for mutiny right there! In that case, the best thing a sub CAN do is chat with the students, or bring something in the SuperSpecialSecretSubBagTM that's interesting for the students to do, whether it's an educational game, a debate, or any number of tricks we put up our sleeves to be dragged out in emergencies.  ;D

We just watched Lord of the Flies. I doodled.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 06, 2012, 06:08:11 PM

We just watched Lord of the Flies. I doodled.

Oh great, show students that film and give them ideas...  :D

Did the sub ask you to do anything different with it, like pay attention to symbolism or camera angles?

I would have doodled, too. That, or ask for a library pass and go read, lol.

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on February 06, 2012, 06:11:18 PM

Oh great, show students that film and give them ideas...  :D

Did the sub ask you to do anything different with it, like pay attention to symbolism or camera angles?

I would have doodled, too. That, or ask for a library pass and go read, lol.

We were looking for similarities between the movie and the book, which I was doing. Doodling helps me focus.

Sweetdeath

Uuugh, feel like the only person who doesn't give a shit who won the super bowl or not, and don't watch american football.
Why do people care about such mundane things that dont affect their lives???
I need a job. Bleh.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Davin

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 06, 2012, 07:06:06 PMUuugh, feel like the only person who doesn't give a shit who won the super bowl or not, and don't watch american football.
I need a job. Bleh.
I gave so few shits that I forgot it was on yesterday. You're not alone.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Buddy

Quote from: Davin on February 06, 2012, 07:10:38 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 06, 2012, 07:06:06 PMUuugh, feel like the only person who doesn't give a shit who won the super bowl or not, and don't watch american football.
I need a job. Bleh.
I gave so few shits that I forgot it was on yesterday. You're not alone.

I didn't watch it either, just youtubed the commercials.

Sweetdeath

I spent the evening playing megaman 2 with a friend, then ordering pizza while watching Futurama. XD my perfect Sunday.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 06, 2012, 08:00:13 PM
I spent the evening playing megaman 2 with a friend, then ordering pizza while watching Futurama. XD my perfect Sunday.

No matter how hard I try, I always read sweetdeath's XD's as "ex dee".

I can't just glance at it and see it for a smilie, I actually read "ex dee" every time. It's awesome. Ex Dee.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Mocha Chief

I think I pulled something in my right shoulder. I was working out and I ended up not being able to extend my arm without my shoulder killing me, to the point to where I had to stop

Tank

Quote from: Mocha Chief on February 06, 2012, 09:38:29 PM
I think I pulled something in my right shoulder. I was working out and I ended up not being able to extend my arm without my shoulder killing me, to the point to where I had to stop
Ouch! Off to the physio with you.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Mocha Chief

Quote from: Tank on February 06, 2012, 09:47:18 PM
Quote from: Mocha Chief on February 06, 2012, 09:38:29 PM
Ouch! Off to the physio with you.

I hate doctors... I think I'll just give it a day or so

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on February 06, 2012, 08:06:16 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 06, 2012, 08:00:13 PM

No matter how hard I try, I always read sweetdeath's XD's as "ex dee".

I can't just glance at it and see it for a smilie, I actually read "ex dee" every time. It's awesome. Ex Dee.

Hehe, that reminds me of when Windows XP came out , and it   made me laugh everytime.