News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 04:30:16 PM
Good question... Too early for that yet, but I'll have to find someone.
Paging Cecilie and Guardian85, paging Cecilie and Guardian85!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Would have to be a native English speaker to do it properly, I think, even though those two do can speak English.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 04:32:52 PM
Would have to be a native English speaker to do it properly, I think, even though those two do can speak English.
Well that rules out TMP as he's 'stralian.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Actually, that's probably close enough... As long as my characters don't have to fake Aussie accents - those just don't convey doom and gloom well enough  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on February 02, 2012, 04:35:34 PM
Well that rules out TMP as he's 'stralian.

Thanks mate, you'll keep.

Tank

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Hmm... My overly shy vocalist decided to give a song I've long wanted to cover a try, even though it is in a fictional language
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 06:16:31 PM
Hmm... My overly shy vocalist decided to give a song I've long wanted to cover a try, even though it is in a fictional language
Oooh, Elvish?

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 02, 2012, 06:22:22 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 06:16:31 PM
Oooh, Elvish?
Fremen.

Now, if I could convince him to do the Skyrim theme too, even though his voice is far too melodic...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 03:59:10 PM
Thoughts and images, like raindrops falling against the windshield... Some being whisked away, others - just falling apart before they manage to coalesce into streams, to form the intricate patterns, that web of memory I think my mind once held.

There is only here and now. Only the sound of rain, tires screeching through another bend on this endless road and a pool of yellowish light, seen through the fog of perspiration and cigarette smoke. No matter how long I chase it, I know it will always stay ahead.

This is how my story ends... Or was it how it all began? Seven days. Yes, I think that's how long it has been since my world turned inside out all around me, and all those once-impenetrable walls surrounding me crumbled, tumbling down in an avalanche of dust and failed aspirations and all that shit I never let touch me.

Thoughts and images... Like shards of a thousand mirrors, all shattered - all but one. Julie. There were others too, other faces, different names, different stories, but it all started with her.
/...

I like it.  I like the driving metaphors mixed in with actual driving. Painted a very clear picture in my mind of dark roads and smoke and a bit of desperation.

I agree with Tank that an English speaker would read "Julie" and hear "Ju-lie" although I don't necessarily agree that a normal name is a bad thing.  I hate it when people use names that sound so obviously made up in stories.  It's cheesy.  Julie isn't cheesy, it's just a normal every day name.

Tank

Asmodean

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: Ali on February 02, 2012, 06:26:21 PM
Julie isn't cheesy, it's just a normal every day name.
That was the intention. She is not supposed to stand out even while she does.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Ali

Sweet D, I hope you feel better.  You've been having a bit of tummy troubles lately haven't you?