News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on February 01, 2012, 06:23:52 PM
Very sensible. Once it's out there it's out there and people can do nasty things with it!

I was worried more about annoying people, but that is a good point.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on February 01, 2012, 06:23:52 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 01, 2012, 04:54:29 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 01, 2012, 04:00:15 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 01, 2012, 02:33:54 PM
I got my hair cut short last night. I like it, but I'm still getting used to having bangs again!  :D

Picture?  :D

Maybe later. I don't want to just plaster my picture up on every board.
Very sensible. Once it's out there it's out there and people can do nasty things with it!

Affirmative.
Scissorlegs may assimilate... or invoke Snipmode.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Buddy

I just found out that our student president of our school is an atheist. He's also and all around nice guy. Finally! I am not alone.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 02, 2012, 02:25:34 AM
I just found out that our student president of our school is an atheist. He's also and all around nice guy. Finally! I am not alone.  ;D
Is there a crush forming?  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on February 02, 2012, 12:15:25 PM

No, I was just happy that there is at least one person who can think reasonably at that school.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 02, 2012, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 02, 2012, 12:15:25 PM

No, I was just happy that there is at least one person who can think reasonably at that school.
Well I'm sure there is more than one. But Thists DO think what they believe is reasonable, that's the problem. Nobody I've ever met has ever thought themselves unreasonable or irrational. The reason theism sticks so well is that it's easy, simple and emotionally satisfying to an evolved ape brain.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

My mom is coming to town today (yayy! I'm a total "momma's girl")
I`m also quite sick and couldn`t go into work, but my gentleman cat is tending to me, and, since Wee Man is in daycare, I am gearing up for the world`s biggest nap once I have some tea.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Wanted to bounce something off you...

I'm working on a story, that may potentially turn into a book, and I sort of want to know if the beginning of the intro is a bit... Well, too schizophrenic? (Don't mind the linguistics too much - the entire thing is in its pre-beta stages.)

If it is, I might need to work on that, since the rest of the intro and the entire Day One, morning chapter is in the same style

QuoteThoughts and images, like raindrops falling against the windshield... Some being whisked away, others - just falling apart before they manage to coalesce into streams, to form the intricate patterns, that web of memory I think my mind once held.

There is only here and now. Only the sound of rain, tires screeching through another bend on this endless road and a pool of yellowish light, seen through the fog of perspiration and cigarette smoke. No matter how long I chase it, I know it will always stay ahead.

This is how my story ends... Or was it how it all began? Seven days. Yes, I think that's how long it has been since my world turned inside out all around me, and all those once-impenetrable walls surrounding me crumbled, tumbling down in an avalanche of dust and failed aspirations and all that shit I never let touch me.

Thoughts and images... Like shards of a thousand mirrors, all shattered - all but one. Julie. There were others too, other faces, different names, different stories, but it all started with her.
/...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 03:59:10 PM
Wanted to bounce something off you...

I'm working on a story, that may potentially turn into a book, and I sort of want to know if the beginning of the intro is a bit... Well, too schizophrenic? (Don't mind the linguistics too much - the entire thing is in its pre-beta stages.)

If it is, I might need to work on that, since the rest of the intro and the entire Day One, morning chapter is in the same style

QuoteThoughts and images, like raindrops falling against the windshield... Some being whisked away, others - just falling apart before they manage to coalesce into streams, to form the intricate patterns, that web of memory I think my mind once held.

There is only here and now. Only the sound of rain, tires screeching through another bend on this endless road and a pool of yellowish light, seen through the fog of perspiration and cigarette smoke. No matter how long I chase it, I know it will always stay ahead.

This is how my story ends... Or was it how it all began? Seven days. Yes, I think that's how long it has been since my world turned inside out all around me, and all those once-impenetrable walls surrounding me crumbled, tumbling down in an avalanche of dust and failed aspirations and all that shit I never let touch me.

Thoughts and images... Like shards of a thousand mirrors, all shattered - all but one. Julie. There were others too, other faces, different names, different stories, but it all started with her.
/...
Fine. Good mental images. I'd keep reading to find out what happened in the seven days and that's the hook. And don't use Julie as the name, use something Norwegian, more exotic and less likely to call up a memory in an English-speaking audience.

Asmodean

Is a Norwegian name (Pronounced "Yulie", not "Juli"), but I'll take it under advisement. She is based on a real person, and I did (and do) intend to give her a less-than-memorable anonimous name.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 04:10:17 PM
Is a Norwegian name (Pronounced "Yulie", not "Juli"), but I'll take it under advisement. She is based on a real person, and I did (and do) intend to give her a less-than-memorable anonimous name.
Fair enough, just my $0.02  ;)

Asmodean

Always nice when people drop change  :D

The thing with "Julie" is that she is one of the main characters in the story, but not in an intrusive way. She is more behind the curtains - you can't always see her, but she makes the leaves move, to use the wind metaphor...

There is also a bloody mess waiting in the later chapters, but those are nowhere near review-ready. In any case, it's a concept I'm working on, based on several thoroughly cherry-picked true stories and a fair bit of imagination, planned written as a sort of a mental diary, first-person perspetive and all.

Meant to be more than a wee bit creepy, and I think I'm accomplishing that with doom and gloom and all the trimmings.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 03:59:10 PM

others blown into chaos/confusion then reforming, coalescing into streams

I do very much like your work Asmo, your post appears to me an invitation to differ, I'm not very good at fawning.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 04:18:59 PM
Always nice when people drop change  :D

The thing with "Julie" is that she is one of the main characters in the story, but not in an intrusive way. She is more behind the curtains - you can't always see her, but she makes the leaves move, to use the wind metaphor...

There is also a bloody mess waiting in the later chapters, but those are nowhere near review-ready. In any case, it's a concept I'm working on, based on several thoroughly cherry-picked true stories and a fair bit of imagination, planned written as a sort of a mental diary, first-person perspetive and all.

Meant to be more than a wee bit creepy, and I think I'm accomplishing that with doom and gloom and all the trimmings.
Who's going to proof read it for you. And NO I'm not offering my services  :D

Asmodean

Good question... Too early for that yet, but I'll have to find someone.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.