News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 02, 2012, 07:58:40 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 02, 2012, 04:04:12 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 02, 2012, 03:38:03 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 02, 2012, 01:55:37 PM
First day back at school from winter break. Woo-frickety-hoo. I have an emergency bottle of iced tea with b vitamins to take sips out of during the day. Also, first snow of the year today.
We have had no snow this year at all. By this time last year it had been pretty much constant for four weeks. Very erratic weather behaviour over the last decade.

I was told the strange global weather was due to a massive cold front on Iceland
I didn't know that  :-\

I can't say if it's true or not because when I tried to look it up on the school computer, everything came up blocked :/ I'll look it up when I get home.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

There's this black girl in my mlp group that totally snapped at me for being an theist, even though several of our head organizers are atheists as well.

Wtf? I'm annoyed... Why cant I ever meet a black friend who isnt super religious? *sigh*
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 02, 2012, 11:02:52 PM
There's this black girl in my mlp group that totally snapped at me for being an theist, even though several of our head organizers are atheists as well.

Wtf? I'm annoyed... Why cant I ever meet a black friend who isnt super religious? *sigh*

Boo, what'd she say?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 03, 2012, 12:05:48 AM

Boo, what'd she say?
We were all watching the old muppet movie from 1984, & kermit and miss piggy were getting married. Apparently miss piggy wanted to use a "real minster" instead of their friend Gonzo. I was just ike "wow, what an inappropriate kids movie....  Not all weddings are religious "
And she was like "alright, alright. We get it, you're a god hating heathen"
Like wtf, bitch?? T_T

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Cecilie

So, I was sleeping (which was awesome 'cause I've been having trouble sleeping), but then about 2:30 or so AM, lightning struck very close to our apartment building and I'm awake. :(
The world's what you create.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 03, 2012, 12:17:10 AM

Boo, what'd she say?
We were all watching the old muppet movie from 1984, & kermit and miss piggy were getting married. Apparently miss piggy wanted to use a "real minster" instead of their friend Gonzo. I was just ike "wow, what an inappropriate kids movie....  Not all weddings are religious "
Like wtf, bitch?? T_T
Wtf indeed
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Boo, what'd she say?
Like wtf, bitch?? T_T
And you took offence at this compliment?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Cecilie on January 03, 2012, 03:44:04 AM
So, I was sleeping (which was awesome 'cause I've been having trouble sleeping), but then about 2:30 or so AM, lightning struck very close to our apartment building and I'm awake. :(
It's just Thor have a little dig at an un-believer  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on January 03, 2012, 08:27:05 AM

Boo, what'd she say?
Like wtf, bitch?? T_T
And you took offence at this compliment?

Well more like irritated that she shouted that out in a room full of friends.  Her outburst was totally out of nowhere.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 03, 2012, 03:55:42 PM
Well more like irritated that she shouted that out in a room full of friends.  Her outburst was totally out of nowhere.
Me, I'd probably laugh it off rather rudely... But then, I have no manner of atheism-associated insecurities at all :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Like wtf, bitch?? T_T

Yeah, how irrational of her to indignantly air her personal views, unprovoked, in a public setting...

One in three marriages in the US is religious (probably many more in 1984). It's not really unreasonable to portray half of the marrying couple discussing it. Is it? That's a fairly balanced view in my book.

...Don't shoot the messenger...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Buddy

Do you see this person often? Also, what do you do in a MLP group? It sounds fun.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

I feel I have to comment on this too.  My last name is German with a Catholic background, but if you go back far enough it is actually Austrian and somewhere down the line there is Jewish blood supposedly.  I have black friends, but being from IL they were not very religious.  I almost forgot this is the Laid back lounge so I will have to back off of what I was going to say, but shouldn't people who are black or of Jewish descent be a little leary of a religion that is pro slavery? Even if the pro slavery part is part of the Jewish religion itself. HELLO?!?!?
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Robert on January 03, 2012, 05:44:19 PMshouldn't people who are black or of Jewish descent be a little leary of a religion that is pro slavery?

Depends on whether they are of a mind to be a slaver or slave sympathiser.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Touche.  I am still trying to figure it out on my own. I gather facts and preach the word of Atheists to the Christians down here and they don't seem to have much to say about it.  I haven't given up, but at a certain point I have to stop myself.  If people are going to go at it like a Pit bull at a laser light, there is not much I can do to change their mind.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins