News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 31, 2011, 03:59:46 PM
Add me to the list of sickies  :( *cough* *cough*

Going to cuddle in with some wine and sushi for the new year, methinks.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 31, 2011, 04:45:02 PM
It's summer down here...the odds of getting a viral infection are much lower. :P

I think the problem is they live in a place where humans should never have tried to live permanently.  At such high latitudes the sensible thing to do once autumn arrives would be be to move South.  Even birds know that.

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on December 31, 2011, 09:29:42 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 31, 2011, 03:59:46 PM
Add me to the list of sickies  :( *cough* *cough*

Going to cuddle in with some wine and sushi for the new year, methinks.

Thanks Tank. I'm onto bottle number two and, funnily enough, I'm feeling better  ;)

Happy New Year, everyone!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

Happy New Year to all who have made the HAF their life!!  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Stevil

A new year.

Looking forward to the many new opportunities that will present themselves to me.

Wondering how many I will create for myself, but also how many I will squander.

Last year was the busiest and most tiring of my life, First born turned two, the terrible twos, what an understatement. Now I know where the phrases "Stop acting like a two year old" or "What are you? a two year old?" came about.
Also had the arrival of our second child, born in a rush at home, before we could make it to hospital and before the midwife could make it to our place. Then two weeks later it caught chicken pox, along with the wife and the two year old. It wasn't fun but I would say it would be better than having a premature baby, that seems very tough on the parents.
Two children seem exponentially more difficult to look after than just the one.
Been a long time since I've been to see cinema or been able to watch a whole movie in less than three sittings.

Ended the year with a roaring argument with my parents and wife, everyone in tears.

2012 I think will be the year of good times!

OldGit

Happy New Year, one and all!  Hope 2012 goes better, Stevil - I guess that goes for many others, too.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Stevil on January 01, 2012, 08:46:44 AM
Last year was the busiest and most tiring of my life, First born turned two, the terrible twos, what an understatement. Now I know where the phrases "Stop acting like a two year old" or "What are you? a two year old?" came about.

Our wee fella is 19 months and we're definitely getting into "terrible twos" territory. My husband keeps saying, "Oh, once he can talk a bit more we should be able to 'reason' with him and it'll be so much better." But I'm not holding my breath. 

I hope 2012 is a good (better) year for you, Stevil :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet
Our wee fella is 19 months and we're definitely getting into "terrible twos" territory. My husband keeps saying, "Oh, once he can talk a bit more we should be able to 'reason' with him and it'll be so much better." But I'm not holding my breath.

I'm afraid you're right, Juliet.  You can't reason with a two-year-old.  We've got my 4-year-old grandson over to stay again, and although he's much more reasonable than he was at two, we're by no means out of the problem yet.  (Just to cheer you up!)

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 01, 2012, 01:06:32 PM
Quote from: Stevil on January 01, 2012, 08:46:44 AM

Reason with a 2-year-old! You've got more chance of reasoning with Genghis Khan, and he's dead! ROFL!

Pharaoh Cat

I know of only one tactic that works with a two-year-old:

Carry child to another room, set down, and then distract. ;)

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on January 01, 2012, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet

I'm afraid you're right, Juliet.  You can't reason with a two-year-old.  We've got my 4-year-old grandson over to stay again, and although he's much more reasonable than he was at two, we're by no means out of the problem yet.  (Just to cheer you up!)

Yeah, I have a nephew, and I remember when he was two, so I think I'm somewhat prepared. The only question is if I play the "I told you so" card  ;D

Sweetdeath

Arrrgh, getting sick!! ;_; ... Have cough and sore throat. Happy new year.   T_T
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Cecilie

Lots of sick people up in here. Feel better, everyone.
The world's what you create.