News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildfire_emissary

Do I need to buy a new car? I don't have an old one.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Asmodean

Quote from: wildfire_emissary on December 21, 2011, 04:44:21 PM
Buy an old one. Those can surprise you, if properly maintained. My Old Rusty is both old and rusty, but for being practically free, it's a good car.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on December 21, 2011, 04:57:53 PM
Quote from: wildfire_emissary on December 21, 2011, 04:44:21 PM
Buy an old one. Those can surprise you, if properly maintained. My Old Rusty is both old and rusty, but for being practically free, it's a good car.

I'd never buy a new car, they depreciate in value so quickly!
But then again, I'm only concerned with functionality. As long as it gets me from A to B.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Cecilie

Is a 24-year old too old for an 18 year-old? 'Cause I don't have a problem with it, but he seems to.
The world's what you create.

Asmodean

Quote from: Cecilie on December 21, 2011, 09:15:18 PM
Is a 24-year old too old for an 18 year-old? 'Cause I don't have a problem with it, but he seems to.
As long as none of the parties actively involved think it a problem, it isn't. When one or both parties do, it is.  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

squidfetish

Quote from: Asmodean on December 21, 2011, 09:20:51 PM
As long as none of the parties actively involved think it a problem, it isn't. When one or both parties do, it is.  :P

Agreed. One of my mates has a wife 25 years older than him. They've been together 12 years.  Another mate of mine has a wife 18 years younger. They've been together 17 years.
reptilian overlord

DeterminedJuliet

I don't think it's a huge deal. If it was 28 and 34, no one would bat an eye.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 22, 2011, 01:17:35 AM

I don't think it's a huge deal. If it was 28 and 34, no one would bat an eye.
Well, The Asmo might have batted one, just on principle.

Still, let us not forget that the relevant age difference is that relative to the people involved.

For instance, there are only five years between 11 and 16... And there was wailing and batting of eyes. 20 and 25, however... Who cares?!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

I think it's an age group of quick change, when you reach 24, you'll see what I mean ;)

The older you get, the more similar you are to others with the same 6 year difference.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

18 - 12 is wrong.
30 - 24 is ho hum.

18 - 24 raises questions about the guy, questions not conclusions. 
If he has a habit of seeking 18 year olds, perhaps he finds them easier to impress, that would seem dodgy to me.
His feeling a bit uneasy about the age gap could be a good indication, or it could be part of a game he plays, who knows?
You could be a good match now and in six years you'll have moved beyond him.

not your typical...

Quote from: OldGit on December 21, 2011, 10:19:07 AM
What fun if Mary kind of departed from the script!  You could suddenly break down and admit it was the milkman that did it.  ;D

Happy Monkey, NYT!
I wish I would have thought of that.... But the kids did ok I guess. I sucked...
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Tank

24 to 18 is ok if both parties are alright with it. But as DJ pints out there is a huge difference in maturity between those two ages. In my case at 18 I was YFS and by 24 I had been married for 4 years and my first kid was 6 months old.

If I could run my time again I think I would have liked 2 to 4 more years before I settled down, but you can't choose when you're going to meet the person you're going fall in love with.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

squidfetish

Last day of work today for a while. Wheeeeeeeee!!   ;D
reptilian overlord

OldGit

Quote from: not your typical...I wish I would have thought of that.... But the kids did ok I guess. I sucked...

I bet you were brilliant.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: squidfetish on December 22, 2011, 12:08:52 PM
Last day of work today for a while. Wheeeeeeeee!!   ;D
same goes  :D twelve whole days of not having to get up before 9am!