News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

On one day here, August 11th, 1,694 spammer accounts were registered!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Tank on September 04, 2011, 07:37:14 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 03, 2011, 11:05:18 PM
I'm wondering...where is everyone ???
Weekends can be quiet on forums. There are often times in the UK afternoon when I am the only member on the forum, that's when I get to play 'Wack 'a Mole' with the spammers. I've been a mod for a month now and in that time I have created over 2,000+ bans, some are for single accounts, some for multiple accounts on one IP, some are IP ranges and there are other types of ban triggers as well. I think I've created bans that have covered 7k to 9k user accounts.

Nice work! I wish the staff I had on my forums were as diligent. I just noticed just how few spammers actually make it through. Very commendable.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 04, 2011, 05:36:55 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 04, 2011, 07:37:14 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 03, 2011, 11:05:18 PM
I'm wondering...where is everyone ???
Weekends can be quiet on forums. There are often times in the UK afternoon when I am the only member on the forum, that's when I get to play 'Wack 'a Mole' with the spammers. I've been a mod for a month now and in that time I have created over 2,000+ bans, some are for single accounts, some for multiple accounts on one IP, some are IP ranges and there are other types of ban triggers as well. I think I've created bans that have covered 7k to 9k user accounts.

Nice work! I wish the staff I had on my forums were as diligent. I just noticed just how few spammers actually make it through. Very commendable.

The first IP ban I did was a mistake though, it was Google  :o  I undid that one  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on September 04, 2011, 05:09:37 PM
There was a quiet little forum dedicated to one of my favorite authors that I used to visit

I'm dying of curiosity -- which author?

And just to stay on topic, what's on my mind today is the really good lunch at North Woods Inn I'm looking forward to in about an hour.  My mind is very material, perhaps I should work on that when I finish eating.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 04, 2011, 06:05:46 PMI'm dying of curiosity -- which author?

The immortal H. L. Mencken.

EDIT: The Mencken Society is not to be confused with the "H. L. Mencken Club" which is an organization largely populated by right wing bigots. Mencken would likely have found them highly amusing (then he might have sued them for defamation of character); they start their meetings with a prayer.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 04, 2011, 06:05:46 PM
And just to stay on topic, what's on my mind today is the really good lunch at North Woods Inn I'm looking forward to in about an hour. 

I'm not sure it's possible to go off topic in the "What's on your mind today"? thread.
There may be some old Buddhist monks that could do it, perhaps they'd just fake it though. 
Some of those monks are pretty sneaky.

xSilverPhinx

If you wait around for someone else to do your work, then nothing gets done, now does it? ;D

To the fray once again, till the end.  8)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Edit: rant. Got it out, had it read and now I can carry on.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

I'm off to Rhodes tonight for a week's holiday.  Can't wait!

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on September 06, 2011, 09:21:28 AM
Have a good time for all of us  ;D

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on September 06, 2011, 10:08:52 AM
Quote from: OldGit on September 06, 2011, 09:21:28 AM
Have a good colossal time for all of us  ;D

Tank

OldGit

^^ Very droll, Pudding!   ::)
Thank you, both.

Tank

Did anybody see if Medusa said she was going off for a while?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on September 08, 2011, 04:32:26 PM
Did anybody see if Medusa said she was going off for a while?

I was just wondering the same thing.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.