News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

You have to turn on your 1950s American private eye voice for this.

QuoteLamb with Dill Sauce à la Raymond Chandler

I sipped on my whisky sour, ground out my cigarette on the chopping board and watched a bug trying to crawl out of the basin. I needed a table at Maxim's, a hundred bucks and a gorgeous blonde; what I had was a leg of lamb and no clues. I took hold of the joint. It felt cold and damp, like a coroner's handshake. I took out a knife and cut the lamb into pieces. Feeling the blade in my hand I sliced an onion, and before I knew what I was doing a carrot lay in pieces on the slab. None of them moved. I threw the lot into a pan with a bunch of dill stalks, a bay leaf, a handful of peppercorns and a pinch of salt. They had it coming to them, so I covered them with chicken stock and turned up the heat. I wanted them to boil slowly, just about as slowly as anything can boil. An hour and a half and a half-pint of bourbon later they weren't so tough and neither was I. I separated the meat from the vegetables and covered it to keep it moist. The knife was still in my hand but I couldn't hear any sirens.

In this town the grease always rises to the top, so I strained the juice and skimmed off the fat. I added more water and put it back on the heat. It was time to deal with the butter and flour, so I mixed them together into a paste and added it to the stock. There wasn't a whisk, so using my blackjack I beat out any lumps until the paste was smooth. It started to boil, so I let it simmer for two minutes.

I roughed up the egg yolk and cream and mixed in some of the hot sauce before putting the lot back into the pan. I put the squeeze on a lemon and it soon juiced. It was easy. It was much too easy, but I knew if I let the sauce boil the yolk was gonna scramble.

By now I was ready to pour the sauce over the meat and serve, but I wasn't hungry. The blonde hadn't showed. She was smarter than I thought. I went outside to poison myself, with cigarettes and whisky.

Extract from 'Kafka's Soup: A Complete History of Literature in 17 Recipes', written and illustrated by Mark Crick (Granta, £8.99)
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5f4670e2-a6be-11dc-b1f5-0000779fd2ac.html

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 10, 2011, 03:52:31 PM
You have to turn on your 1950s American private eye voice for this.

QuoteLamb with Dill Sauce à la Raymond Chandler

I sipped on my whisky sour, ground out my cigarette on the chopping board and watched a bug trying to crawl out of the basin. I needed a table at Maxim's, a hundred bucks and a gorgeous blonde; what I had was a leg of lamb and no clues. I took hold of the joint. It felt cold and damp, like a coroner's handshake. I took out a knife and cut the lamb into pieces. Feeling the blade in my hand I sliced an onion, and before I knew what I was doing a carrot lay in pieces on the slab. None of them moved. I threw the lot into a pan with a bunch of dill stalks, a bay leaf, a handful of peppercorns and a pinch of salt. They had it coming to them, so I covered them with chicken stock and turned up the heat. I wanted them to boil slowly, just about as slowly as anything can boil. An hour and a half and a half-pint of bourbon later they weren't so tough and neither was I. I separated the meat from the vegetables and covered it to keep it moist. The knife was still in my hand but I couldn't hear any sirens.

In this town the grease always rises to the top, so I strained the juice and skimmed off the fat. I added more water and put it back on the heat. It was time to deal with the butter and flour, so I mixed them together into a paste and added it to the stock. There wasn't a whisk, so using my blackjack I beat out any lumps until the paste was smooth. It started to boil, so I let it simmer for two minutes.

I roughed up the egg yolk and cream and mixed in some of the hot sauce before putting the lot back into the pan. I put the squeeze on a lemon and it soon juiced. It was easy. It was much too easy, but I knew if I let the sauce boil the yolk was gonna scramble.

By now I was ready to pour the sauce over the meat and serve, but I wasn't hungry. The blonde hadn't showed. She was smarter than I thought. I went outside to poison myself, with cigarettes and whisky.

Extract from 'Kafka's Soup: A Complete History of Literature in 17 Recipes', written and illustrated by Mark Crick (Granta, £8.99)
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5f4670e2-a6be-11dc-b1f5-0000779fd2ac.html

Very droll.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Those plane tails... Methink I'll make Pudding my chief camouflage designer and give him Poland as a gift.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

If you are a vegan, good for you....but I don't care what you eat, don't care for the failed attempts at emotional manipulation, and don't want to hear you preaching about how everyone else has to follow your idea of a healthy eating plan.

(just unfriended some atheist on facebook because he does nothing but preach veganism and is a big peta fanboy....one post too many from him on that topic; and I couldn't figure out why he was a friend in the first place)

Cecilie

So, going to see Judas Priest on Wednesday. It'll be my first ever concert. It starts at 7:00, just wondering how long before I should be there.
The world's what you create.

Tank

Watching the Canadian Grand Prix. 20 minutes racing and now it's raining so hard all the cars are sitting on the grid. Might re-start in 15 minutes  >:(
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

The cars stood on the grid for over 2 hours. And then the race restarted, it was un-fucking-believable!! I have been watching F1 since '75 and this race will go down in history as one of the most amazing examples of driving ever seen. Jenson Button, McLaren Mercedes was in 21st place (the back) and he went on to win!!! Astonishing, utterly astonishing. My throat is raw from shouting at the TV!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Whitney on June 12, 2011, 01:12:05 AM
(just unfriended some atheist on facebook because he does nothing but preach veganism and is a big peta fanboy....one post too many from him on that topic; and I couldn't figure out why he was a friend in the first place)

Peta-love would definitely be a bit of a red flag for me. Not that I'm anti-animal rights (my husband is a vegetarian, and I was for some time), but they're just so looney.

Fortunately, there's not a whole lot of PETA love here in Newfoundland. What with the seal hunt and all. 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

I think it makes way more sense that churches and religious leaders have noticed (to their inconvenience) that people's minds are their own and so say that an omniscient god gave them free will.

You have free will but had better see things their way...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I'm just think it's such a good thing that the number of unbelievers are growing worldwide...just look at religious thinking and teachings and you'll see why *eyeroll*

Cecilie

I hate it when medicine takes 6-8 weeks to work.
The world's what you create.

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

I like that I just found out just how easy it is to buy games online and especially just how cheap they are...I just downloaded one (Settlers 7) for US$27 when if I were to buy the physical copy here it would cost me around ten dollars more.

;D

Good thing games become cheap real fast, the same game would've cost me around US$63 a couple of months ago.

But I'm just rambling while I wait for it to download.

kelltrill

I'm wondering what the hell is going on in xSilverPhinx's avatar.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: kelltrill on June 27, 2011, 11:15:37 AM
I'm wondering what the hell is going on in xSilverPhinx's avatar.

This is it slowed down