News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poptop

Another thing on my mind is wondering how I'm going continue to respond to my nieces and nephews questions.  A couple years ago I wasn't really ready to 'out' myself as an atheist but my brother must have been suspicious and asked me about it.  I decided to answer him honestly.  It was a short conversation and we left it at that but a few months later my 7 yr. old nephew asks me why I don't believe in god.  So for the past couple years I've been trying to deflect similar questions from 4 of my brother's six kids.  I feel a heavy responsibility and don't want to mess up anything.

Whitney

Quote from: Poptop on May 27, 2011, 06:32:24 AM
Another thing on my mind is wondering how I'm going continue to respond to my nieces and nephews questions.  A couple years ago I wasn't really ready to 'out' myself as an atheist but my brother must have been suspicious and asked me about it.  I decided to answer him honestly.  It was a short conversation and we left it at that but a few months later my 7 yr. old nephew asks me why I don't believe in god.  So for the past couple years I've been trying to deflect similar questions from 4 of my brother's six kids.  I feel a heavy responsibility and don't want to mess up anything.

My niece isn't old enough to ask (just said her first kinda word...dada) and I don't think it will even come up till she is much closer to being a teen. 

At this point I think the only way to address the question is to say that some people don't believe because they don't have a reason.  Then address questions from there, if it gets into toe stepping territory (ie might upset the parent) you can just tell the child you'd like to save that discussion till when they are older and have had more time to turn over the question in their own mind.

Willow

I find it easier to say to other people's children that we aren't Christians rather than saying something that might make them think you are criticising their parent.  I worry more about my children doing the dirty about Santa and the tooth fairy, who many children their age believe in.
Willow.

Tank

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 27, 2011, 05:25:14 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2011, 04:29:47 AM
Quote from: The Black Jester on May 27, 2011, 03:46:55 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2011, 03:16:32 AM
Argh...I've just been robbed again today. It's starting to feel normal.

That's terrible!  What did you lose?  Are you okay?

Just my mp4 player. It wasn't so disturbing, I mean just a petty thief.

And walking home I just kept thinking to myself it's a good thing I didn't buy the thing myself...I mean, I'm not going to keep buying those things just to have them stolen all the time.

Have you thought about investing in a gun?

Why? So they can steal that as well? Unless one is trained in close combat use of a gun I would think it would be a liability personally.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

And walking home I just kept thinking to myself it's a good thing I didn't buy the thing myself...I mean, I'm not going to keep buying those things just to have them stolen all the time.

Nunchucks. Just throwing that out there.
The world's what you create.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Cecilie on May 27, 2011, 03:14:12 PM

Nunchucks. Just throwing that out there.

LOL a definite personal liability. ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Poptop

My rear tire is on my mind.  I have to make sure to put air in it every 30 hours, or else!

Whitney

Quote from: Poptop on May 28, 2011, 01:52:38 AM
My rear tire is on my mind.  I have to make sure to put air in it every 30 hours, or else!

They make this spray in stuff that can help temporarily stop slow leaks.  You can also get a repair kit and find the leak using soapy water.

Poptop

Good ideas, thanks. I have to get a new one anyway, the current one is bald.   :(

slapdashartist

This will be my 50th post and I'm too tired to even start contributing to the rest of the site haha. Well, at least I'll be able to when I want :). Work wore me out, so what's on my mind right now is... SLEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"And a moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." -Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk

Asmodean

Quote from: Whitney on May 27, 2011, 06:09:20 AM
Quote from: Poptop on May 27, 2011, 06:00:06 AM
Jesus Camp
^that one will make you mad

I almost went on a killing spree after watching...

Remember that woman yelling "this is WAAAR!!!"..? With kids pretend-training in fighting with sticks..? I SO wanted to call in and demand a test of how many kids with sticks it would take to take care of one very murderous me with a kitchen knife... In any case, you can almost feel your IQ plummeting while you watch... Right up toi the point where you start drooling and crapping your pants... HOW can people function in such an environment without resorting to photosynthesis?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

My new hats.
I like them all, it's hard to decide on just one to favour.
It might be hard to get any more for a while, I think the corgis are on to me.
But tank has informed me of a potential new source of hats...

Poptop

Got the holiday weekend on my mind, Memorial Day weekend!

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 28, 2011, 10:04:13 AM
My new hats.
I like them all, it's hard to decide on just one to favour.
It might be hard to get any more for a while, I think the corgis are on to me.
But tank has informed me of a potential new source of hats...

You are a star! Don't ever leave please.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Thinking about a news event on last night where a son "prayed" for his mother to win the lottery, and she did. Now he is a true believer, and attends church once again. e__e

The saddest thing is, the story before this one was about a cop being shot for NO REASON on the street (cold blood.) That makes my blood boil, how idiots can believe in "God" when good shit happens, and are even ok when senseless violence.

Yeah, I think we all want to win the lottery, but we all logically know its based on luck, not magical voodoo.

I'm fisgusted with people who never blame their god for horrible death, like when tornadoes level whole towns.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.