News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

Sociology essay on religion.  I wrote loads today, which is good.

MariaEvri

here comes the summer humidity
oh thor  how I hate it!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Sweetdeath

On my mind:
I'm happy to find this forum.

Man, it's hot outside in Nyc!

And, amused about the Non-rapture.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: MariaEvri on May 26, 2011, 07:31:24 PM
here comes the summer humidity
oh thor  how I hate it!

I feel like all would be nicer without humidity ;;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

hismikeness

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 26, 2011, 06:10:16 AM
I'm currently wondering why question marks are so hard for me to remember to put after a question. I know where they go, I simply always put a period out of habit!

I believe the Mexicans (or Spaniards, maybe) have it right with putting the upside down punctuation before the sentence. That would probably help you remember.

Also, there's phonetic punctuation. (RIP Victor Borge) Kkkgggtttttttttt, ptt!
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

xSilverPhinx

Argh...I've just been robbed again today. It's starting to feel normal.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Black Jester

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2011, 03:16:32 AM

That's terrible!  What did you lose?  Are you okay?
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Black Jester on May 27, 2011, 03:46:55 AM

Just my mp4 player. It wasn't so disturbing, I mean just a petty thief.

And walking home I just kept thinking to myself it's a good thing I didn't buy the thing myself...I mean, I'm not going to keep buying those things just to have them stolen all the time.

slapdashartist

My legs hurt... Work sucked today.
"And a moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." -Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2011, 04:29:47 AM

And walking home I just kept thinking to myself it's a good thing I didn't buy the thing myself...I mean, I'm not going to keep buying those things just to have them stolen all the time.

Have you thought about investing in a gun?
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

original_gender

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 27, 2011, 05:25:14 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2011, 04:29:47 AM

Have you thought about investing in a gun?

I was also wondering if you had considered this. Here in South Florida, even the kiddies get CWP's.

xSilverPhinx

Nah...weapons are complicated. If you carry one, you just make it easier for others to use against you. Also, if you decide to use it, you have to use it without hesitation.

Most of these theives carry some rudimentary weapon themselves, especially if they are alone (as was the case with the one that robbed me) and will hesitate less to use it on you.

I'm thinking of buying some sort of physical incapacitator. The two main options are: pepper spray and a stun gun. Pepper spray is advantageous because it can be used at medium distance but you have to spray the eyes for it to be effective. Stun guns can be used in any part of the body to physically incapacitate momentarily but they aren't medium distance weapons, unless it's that one that shoots those cables at a distance (superior option).  

Poptop

Video selection from Netflix is on my mind.  I just got it yesterday.  Hoping to find some good ones like Jesus Camp and Religulous

Whitney

Quote from: Poptop on May 27, 2011, 06:00:06 AM
Jesus Camp
^that one will make you mad

I've been thinking about how as I get older and the further I move away from my religious years the less I care about religion or even arguing against it.  I only care when it's actually stepping on the rights of others now...if people want to have some some silly belief; I don't care as long as government can remain secular.

I also care less and less about if I'm identified as atheist or not...to me the most important part of my worldview is that I'm using my brain and deciding what is true based on reason and facts instead of hope and stories.  of course all this means is that I'm just not going to get as offended as easily when some idiot decides i'm not a true atheist because they don't understand what the word means or think they can't exist.