News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Sport. Love it? Hate it? Which do you do and/or watch?

Started by Tank, February 08, 2011, 09:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I like F1 racing. I've watched if for over 30 years now and have hardly missed a live race. I like it because you never really know what is going to happen. Take for example the year Lewis Hamilton one. He won the world championship on the last corner or the last race of the year and he did it after the number 2 guy had 'won' by already crossing the line! He overtook from 6 to 5 place and that extra 2 points gave him the championship! Absolutely awe inspiring tension!

Last year three guys were in contention for the title in the last race. The guy in the worst position won the race and the other two came in so far down the field he won. He had not lead the championship at any time in the season. This is the first time this has ever happened in the history on F1. F1 is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't get to see what's going to happen on the first race, or possible at any point in the season. Sometimes it comes down to the last corner of 3,230 miles of racing!

:headbang:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

history_geek

Quote from: "Tank"I like F1 racing. I've watched if for over 30 years now and have hardly missed a live race. I like it because you never really know what is going to happen. Take for example the year Lewis Hamilton one. He won the world championship on the last corner or the last race of the year and he did it after the number 2 guy had 'won' by already crossing the line! He overtook from 6 to 5 place and that extra 2 points gave him the championship! Absolutely awe inspiring tension!

Last year three guys were in contention for the title in the last race. The guy in the worst position won the race and the other two came in so far down the field he won. He had not lead the championship at any time in the season. This is the first time this has ever happened in the history on F1. F1 is a marathon, not a sprint. You don't get to see what's going to happen on the first race, or possible at any point in the season. Sometimes it comes down to the last corner of 3,230 miles of racing!

:drool
The only sport I honestly even care to watch from time to time is ice-hockey, but only if its a Finland versus-match. I used to watch F1 too, but that was when Häkkinen and Schumi were still driving....*sigh* Good times, good times.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

The Magic Pudding

I think sport is OK if you're doing it, watching it seems a waste of time.
I used to follow cricket, the long version which goes for five long days was good to follow on the radio while doing other things.  The players seem to have gotten less interesting and the commentators more annoying.

JoeBobSmith

Quote from: "Tank"Sport. Love it? Hate it? Which do you do and/or watch?

:hmm:
JoeBobSmith

Tank

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I think sport is OK if you're doing it, watching it seems a waste of time.
I used to follow cricket, the long version which goes for five long days was good to follow on the radio while doing other things.  The players seem to have gotten less interesting and the commentators more annoying.
I tend to get interested in cricket when England are winning, which tends to mean I'm very rarely interested in it.

I like watching the World Cup when it comes to football (soccer) as there is a bit of nationalistic needle and the quality can be exceptional, but league football is boring and I hated the game as a child. Being rather porky as a lad I considered it a plus if I was not the very last person chosen at the team picking stage. I preferred rugby where my weight was a little more valuable in the scrum or a head on tackle.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Play chess... And video games.

Watch biathlon on occasion. Had some interest in basketball and tennis before. Can't stand football (Be it football-football or that thing Americans call by that name)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Asmodean"Play chess... And video games.

Watch biathlon on occasion. Had some interest in basketball and tennis before. Can't stand football (Be it football-football or that thing Americans call by that name)

I actually prefer Gridiron to soccer. At least with gridiron you know when to bother to watch! I also like watching the quarter back getting sacked! There is something I find hilarious about the inevitable demise of the poor little guy as he gets pounded to oblivion by some huge defensive tackle!

The Magic Pudding

This is a list of how many times the Australian of the year award has been awarded to different categories of recipient since 1960.  Thirteen awards for sport seems at least twelve too many.  As for football, we have four versions which are all taken [strike:tprev70s]seriously[/strike:tprev70s] religiously.  If times turn tough science investment will be cut but fear not, sport will go untouched.

5 Science (Non-medical)    
9 Arts       
8 Medical Science    
5 Indigenous affairs
2 Religion       
2 Community Service    
3 Politics/Public office    
13 Sport           
2 Non-science academic
3 Military service    
2 Business

hackenslash

Football is the one and only thing that has me bordering on irrationality. It's brilliant.

I know a lot of people that can't stand it, but I've never met anyone who both understood it and didn't like it.

I used to really enjoy F1, but it's become something of a procession, and the art of overtaking has been supplanted by aerodynamics that make it nigh on impossible on most circuits.

I still watch touring car racing, which is the best racing on four wheels, and all sorts of motorbike racing.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Tank

Quote from: "hackenslash"Football is the one and only thing that has me bordering on irrationality. It's brilliant.

I know a lot of people that can't stand it, but I've never met anyone who both understood it and didn't like it.

I used to really enjoy F1, but it's become something of a procession, and the art of overtaking has been supplanted by aerodynamics that make it nigh on impossible on most circuits.

I still watch touring car racing, which is the best racing on four wheels, and all sorts of motorbike racing.
The rules have changed in 2013 and the cars will have much less down-force and the aero specs are designed to mean that the wings cause much less turbulence, thus the car behind does not have to cope with driving in drastically disturbed air. It is hoped that this will allow for closer running and more skilful driving. That's the idea, it remains to see if it's a good idea or a bad idea!

Whitney

I like to play softball, volleyball, and tennis but don't get to play much if at all anymore and don't like to watch (get bored).

Asmodean

Quote from: "hackenslash"I know a lot of people that can't stand it, but I've never met anyone who both understood it and didn't like it.
*Raises hand* I do both. Get it. Can't stand it. (It is actually a learned skill... Once upon a time, I was mildly interested in football. Sometime before Maradona got fat  :P )
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Vollyball, the best spectator sport ever!

Mildly NSFW  :blush:
[spoiler:dfls5euq][/spoiler:dfls5euq]

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tank"Vollyball, the best spectator sport ever!
Is that not that there beachball or whatever it is they call it..? Played in sand rather than on whatever it is they put on gym floors? Two on two?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Tank"Vollyball, the best spectator sport ever!
Is that not that there beachball or whatever it is they call it..? Played in sand rather than on whatever it is they put on gym floors? Two on two?
Don't spoil my illusions  :sigh: