News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Blogging... What to use?

Started by EssejSllim, January 19, 2011, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EssejSllim

Recently, one of my friends asked me why I didn't have a blog. I got to thinking about it and I realized it would really make sense for me to. That said, I don't really know what platform I should use. If anyone here has blogged or know someone who has blogged I would appreciate it if you could recommend a platform and explain why you like it. I could easily go on yahoo! answers for this but I figure I'll receive more thought out, intelligent answers here.

Thanks.
"How terrible [the theory of evolution] will be upon the nobility of the old world. Think of their being forced to trace their ancestry back tot he duke Orang Outang or the Princess Chimpanzee." -Robert Ingersoll

"What? Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Whitney

Wordpress is the most popular platform right now.

I have used Blogger in the past but am switching over to wordpress.  Wordpress can be loaded onto your own personal website (or if you don't want to pay for hosting I think they have free www.yourname.wordpress.com accounts).  Since it's popular there are a lot of templates to choose from and if you are hosting it yourself there are practically infinite ways to customize it; you could even allow it to evolve into a full website complete with a forum later if you so desired.

For second choice I'd go with blogger.  It's owned by google so it will probably be around for a while and may even be updated to compete with wordpress down the road.  I has some decent templates and you can find many free templates too.  However, if you want to host the blog yourself Wordpress is by far superior because it's set up for that while Blogger is not.

terranus

I've always used Blogger. Simple if you want it to be, but has a lot of options & can get really complex if you want to go that route. I like the simplicity thing (and being able to login with the same account as my Gmail). :drool
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

EssejSllim

Geez, I've been away a while...

Anyway, thanks for the responses. One more question though. Does Wordpress have any way for the blogger themselves to earn money from advertising? From what I've seen it would appear not but I want to be sure.
"How terrible [the theory of evolution] will be upon the nobility of the old world. Think of their being forced to trace their ancestry back tot he duke Orang Outang or the Princess Chimpanzee." -Robert Ingersoll

"What? Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's." - Friedrich Nietzsche

terranus

Not sure about Wordpress, but Blogger does. Google Ads, you know.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--