News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Survay:Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion

Started by Will, September 28, 2010, 08:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

QuoteIf you want to know about God, you might want to talk to an atheist.

Heresy? Perhaps. But a survey that measured Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists and agnostics knew more, on average, than followers of most major faiths. In fact, the gaps in knowledge among some of the faithful may give new meaning to the term "blind faith."
source

I doubt this will surprise many here, but it's nice to gave a bit of data to back up what many have intuitively concluded.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Ultima22689

You know, i'm not surprised. Seems to make sense, I don't know a lot about religion but I do know more about Christianity than my average peer does, whenever I end up in an argument it's good to know more than they do about their own religion.

karadan

Quote from: "Ultima22689"You know, i'm not surprised. Seems to make sense, I don't know a lot about religion but I do know more about Christianity than my average peer does, whenever I end up in an argument it's good to know more than they do about their own religion.

Hell yeah. I bet that feels amazing.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

TheWilliam

the more you know about it, the more retarded it is.

and then you just have to do something else with your time.

Martin TK

It's good to finally see a study that proves what many of us have suspected all along.  Being religious and NOT knowing the bible is like someone going to a gun fight with a toothpick.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

wildfire_emissary

Catholic and Christian students here probably do not read the Bible. Many times in my class when I cite scriptures that undermine their beliefs but relevant to the topic being discussed kids ask me if it's really writen there I'd say 'Oh your god! No wonder you're stil Catholics and Christians.'
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

notself

My niece told me that her priest actually told the parishioners not to read the bible because parts of it would confuse them.  He also told them that parts of the bible could not be read in Church.  I think he was most likely talking about Leviticus.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

NearBr0ken

The greatest resource that contributed to my deconversion is the Skeptic's Annotated Bible.  It's a treasure trove of commentary that your average preacher will be hesitant to deliver.  :)

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

It's also invaluable when Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking.

Dretlin

Quote from: "Tank"Study the bible and become an atheist!

I said something quite close to this to a friend of mine, who happened to be Christen. They did not quite want to understand what I meant and seemed to take no comfort in me explaining it.

Asmodean

The more you know about religion, the less likely you are to follow one unless brainwashed beyond belief. No surprise at all.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Intercourseman72

Sophus

I got all but one. Did not know that the Catholics actually think the bread and wine really becomes flesh and blood. That's creepy.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

KDbeads

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "NearBr0ken"The greatest resource that contributed to my deconversion is the Skeptic's Annotated Bible.  It's a treasure trove of commentary that your average preacher will be hesitant to deliver.  :)

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

It's also invaluable when Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking.

SABs rocks.
Illegitimi non carborundum.