News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Strange reaction....

Started by Neoncamouflage, July 10, 2009, 06:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neoncamouflage

I was debating a Christian earlier and it had been going on for about 15 minutes or so when he said that Christians care about humanity more since they want people to go to heaven. I told him that, though I was an Atheist, I really hope there is a heaven for the billions of good (if ignorant) people that have died as theists. He was absolutely dumbfounded that I would want to go to hell so that others could be rewarded.

Is this a common reaction? Am I alone with this feeling? What do you guys think?
Religion is seen as true to the common, foolish to the wise, and useful to the powerful.

thiolsulfate

He's extrapolating from something you said something you likely didn't mean, e.g. he put words in your mouth.

Saying, "I hope that person gets cake" doesn't necessitate "I want anti-cake."

Watch out for that. I was once charged with telling a Christian that I wanted him to go to hell because I didn't believe in a heaven:
I said, "I don't think there's a heaven for us to go to."
Which he extrapolated to mean, "You want me to go to hell?"
To which the only reply is, "I don't think there's a hell either but my wanting or not wanting has no bearing on the existence of heaven much more your eligibility to it."

I know it's hard to break out of the heaven/hell dichotomy but eventually you'll come to a point when it's clear they're equally ridiculous.

Cheers.

Zeru

I'm not sure I'd want to go to hell (though I'm impressed you would be willing to). That said, of course it's absurd to say Christians care about humanity more.  Your Christian doesn't sound like he had his argument worked out beyond that main point...

I would compare the Christian's view of non-believers to what anyone's would be if they saw someone drowning in a lake.  Who wouldn't care about this dying soul, who wouldn't try to help if they could?  Does that sense of urgency mean the Christian cares more? Not necessarily.

It's quite possible to argue in the opposite direction here:  The Christians have got it made, they're going to heaven, we're going to hell.  This world is going to burn and they're getting a new one (without us heathens mucking it up this time). Why bother trying to save everyone when there's a number written down already?  Your typical Christian isn't a full-time missionary or a street preaching fanatic out to save your soul.  Is that caring?

:pop:

Neoncamouflage

Mmmmm..... Anti-cake.

Well in this case I was talking about him going to heaven and me.....not....

But I have seen that too.
Religion is seen as true to the common, foolish to the wise, and useful to the powerful.

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "Neoncamouflage"Mmmmm..... Anti-cake.

You know what I've found to be a good way to deal with people trying to evangelize: the Socratic method.

Just keep asking questions. Pretend you know nothing. Posit nothing. Just keep asking questions. It's the only way to get them to understand why you think they're full of nonsense.

If you have iTunes look for the Chariots of Iron podcast and look for Episode 29. If you can manage to get a copy of Godless by Dan Brown there's a huge section on debate in it that you'll find useful.

Zeru

Quote from: "Neoncamouflage"Mmmmm..... Anti-cake.

Haha, eh.  

Then ignore everything beyond that I wouldn't be willing to go to hell.  I don't think it's necessary to make that kind of sacrifice just to maintain a "caring for humanity factor" equal to that of the theist.  

I think anti-cake takes it.

Quote from: "thiolsulfate"You know what I've found to be a good way to deal with people trying to evangelize: the Socratic method.

Too true.  However, I think they may be catching on...  I once sat through an entire sermon in which we were given a rehash of the Socratic method to use for evangelising people like you, complete with numbered steps printed on a colourful glossy card.  I'm pretty sure the last one was something like: "if this isn't working, run."

thiolsulfate

Quote from: "Zeru"[...]

Too true.  However, I think they may be catching on...  I once sat through an entire sermon in which we were given a rehash of the Socratic method to use for evangelising people like you, complete with numbered steps printed on a colourful glossy card.  I'm pretty sure the last one was something like: "if this isn't working, run."
They talk about it in the podcast I was talking about. It's a particularly good episode from a great podcast.

Neoncamouflage

I don't think of it as a sacrifice, since I could change my sinful ways and embrace religion. Assuming of course I picked the right one and didn't just piss of the real god who has only a few thousand followers.

My computer is out of comission for the next couple weeks, but I'll get it then.

Fairly sure I'd get lynched if I brought in an Atheistic or Evolutionist book. But I havy many I want, though I want a Koran first.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "Neoncamouflage"I want a Koran first.
Just remember that some people are offended by the way you just spelled Qur'an .
I'm not sure why, even.  It's technically correct.

Sophus

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Just remember that some people are offended by the way you just spelled Qur'an .
Actually the correct way to spell it is: اÙ,,Ù,رآن

:)
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

JillSwift

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Actually the correct way to spell it is: اÙ,,Ù,رآن

:)
When it comes to offending people, seriously folks, so what? On the stage of free exchange of ideas, there will have to be offense. Deep, abiding offense as people's ideas are critically examined. So, something like the romanization of a word is just so completely unimportant.
[size=50]Teleology]

Neoncamouflage

I've seen it spelled many ways, usually Koran or Qur'an, and there's always someone telling me I'm an idiot for spelling it wrong. I usually write it Qur'an since that's how I learned it, but Koran's easier to type on a mobile.