News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Primordial stew, anyone?

Started by Wraitchel, January 09, 2009, 05:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wraitchel

Scientists have concocted self-replicating strands of RNA, which they believe may  be a good model for the kinds of nucleotide production that may eventually have evolved into life 4 billion years ago. These RNA strands mutate and naturally select for the best utilization of available amino acid ingredients. It is most cool. http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/01/replicatingrna.html

Will

Soup's on!

I just read about this yesterday. This is another step towards providing a verifiable, possible theory of abiogenesis.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SSY

That makes me really, really happy.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

curiosityandthecat

Isn't this quite similar to what Sagan was doing at Cornell?
-Curio

Wraitchel

It is probably a continuation of what he was trying to do, but these puppies are the first to self-replicate not only with their complement strand, but also to fish amino acids out of the stew to go on increasing the population. The types which are most effective at utilizing the amino acids begin to dominate. Selection happens. Mutations happen. See where this is going?

SSY

God is fooling us to test our faith in him?

Am I right? Do I get a cookie?
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Squid

VanReal

Quote from: "SSY"God is fooling us to test our faith in him?

Am I right? Do I get a cookie?

:D

Very interesting.  Viruses use RNA to evolve and mutate - HIV being a major player in that, for example.  I need to read the article.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)