News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

ACHOO! What do you say when an atheist sneezes?

Started by Stoicheion, November 25, 2008, 04:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Quote from: "Stoicheion"what do you guys say?

*looks at the person annoyingly*....pick that up.

LARA

I don't usually say anything.  I might hand someone a kleenex (yes, I've stolen your copyrighted name for tissues, Kleenex company! hahahahhaha!) if one is available and they have something interesting hanging out of their nose.  I really don't get offended if someone tells me "Bless You"  or  "God Bless You".  I simply take it as a caring response translated to "I don't want you to get sick and die."   Now if they start telling me "Go to Hell you atheist bastard"  I might start being offended, or maybe laugh until even more stuff comes out of my nose.  I think if you worry too much about what to say instead of something involving God when people sneeze, or when you smash your finger or when you have an orgasm, then you are probably taking the whole anti-superstition atheist thing just a bit too far.

But in the spirit of scientific battles against viruses, I think after this thread I might start saying "Jonas Salk"  when someone sneezes.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

bowmore

Quote from: "rlrose328"Hubby says Gezundheit (sp?).  I say "Gedneeonya" (get any on ya?) and let them try to figure out what I said.  Most assume it's a foreign language and just say "thanks."  LOL!

Gezundheit is german, it means health. So it's a short wish of good health to the sneezer.

My native language is Dutch (akin to German) and I say "Gezondheid" which means the same.

I also noticed that the question in the OP is slightly off. It should probably be "What do you say as an atheist when somenone sneezes."
But I'm just nitpicking now  :blush:

Anyway :

Gezondheid!
"Rational arguments don’t usually work on religious people. Otherwise there would be no religious people."

House M.D.

Zarathustra

Quote from: "bowmore"Gezundheit is german, it means health. So it's a short wish of good health to the sneezer.
My native language is Dutch (akin to German) and I say "Gezondheid" which means the same.
The same with danish, we have a related term.
Quote"What do you say as an atheist when somenone sneezes."
I think it's a problem of the english language, I might have a weird solution that could work because everybody within your cultural community will instantly understand: Danes have an alternative word we say when people sneeze. It's the name of the sneezing dwarf in Snowwhite. I don't know the name of him in english, but that might work?

Or just say nothing, it's all natural anyway... what do you say as an atheist to people who take a shit, for instance?
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]

bowmore

Quote from: "Zarathustra"Or just say nothing, it's all natural anyway... what do you say as an atheist to people who take a shit, for instance?

"Erm... I guess it was occupied then...  :blush: "

or perhaps

"Hey! Not in my living room, jerk!"

or even

"This not a public bathroom, this is the Trevi fountain."
"Rational arguments don’t usually work on religious people. Otherwise there would be no religious people."

House M.D.

Zarathustra

Quote from: "bowmore""Hey! Not in my living room, jerk!"
:beer: Now, THAT was funny!!
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]

Akwo

I say "God bless you!" or "Gesundheit!". Maybe other people do it differently, but that's what I say.

Tanker

QuoteDanes have an alternative word we say when people sneeze. It's the name of the sneezing dwarf in Snowwhite. I don't know the name of him in english, but that might work?
The english name for the sneezing dwarf in Snow White is....Sneezy. So that doesn't really work. Gezhundite is common in America also. Lots of german immagrants, another I hear is salude which is spanish for the same thing health, or good health.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Stoicheion

Quote from: "Squid"

*looks at the person annoyingly*....pick that up.

:eek2:
[size=85]So why does there only have to be one correct philosophy?
I don't wanna go and follow you just to end up like one of them
And why are you always telling me what you want me to believe?
I'd like to think that I can go my own way and meet you in the end
Go my own way and meet you in the end
"Same Direction" - Hoobastank
[/size]

Kyuuketsuki

Bless you!

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Martian

Quote from: "Asmodean"I say "Indeed" (Teal'c style) or nothing at all  :borg:
LMAO! I love it!
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

(I DON'T BELIEVE GOD EXISTS)

Asmodean

Quote from: "Martian"
Quote from: "Asmodean"I say "Indeed" (Teal'c style) or nothing at all  :D I just used to say "That's right" pre-SG1 (or rather, before I started watching SG1) so [Teal'c]Indeed[/Teal'c] seemed natural.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

wheels5894

Tanker

How about the PC approach. "May the god, gods, diety,or higher power should you chose to believe in one, bless you if it falls within your practices or custums, to recieve it from he,she, it, or them."
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Loffler

"Cover your mouth, diseases are spread by airborne pathogens."