News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Have you encountered disrespect for you beliefs?

Started by LARA, November 16, 2008, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Zarathustra"Getting back to the topic: My mom recently took my son to church with her, without telling me (He's 4). I only found out because all of a sudden all sorts of religious frases were coming out of his mouth.
That is extremely disrespectful of my beliefs, I think. I can't imagine an atheist imposing on a christian kid like that.

Wow.  How disrespectful!

I disagree with others that say exposing a small child to religion is harmless.  Without parental guidance the child will assume the adults with authority over him are being truthful and will take the religion as truth.  It's like having a grandparent tell a small child that there are monsters under his bed without parental knowledge.

Wechtlein Uns

Outside of my immediate community, everyone takes one look at my mexican face and assumes I worship the virgin mary. it's disconcerting, but since none of those whitey's at alamo heights are very religious themselves, it almost never comes up. I've known people for three years, before they finally find out I'm (basically) atheist. Usually a stunned silence, then we continue talking.

It get's a little troubling when I'm at church though. I don't go to mass, but I guess I still participate in church events. I swear, the first thing out of the stations of the cross director when he found out I was atheist was "why?"

Everyone says that. It's so tedious answering that question over and over that I started to get creative with it. Here are some of my better answers:

"I felt I was called to be by god."

"No hablo ingles."

"it's more fun to butcher virgins and rape nuns."

"I'm Gay"

"Father carl and me... well..." said in a softening voice as I look away.  :shock:

lol.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Zarathustra

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Wow. How disrespectful!

I disagree with others that say exposing a small child to religion is harmless. Without parental guidance the child will assume the adults with authority over him are being truthful and will take the religion as truth. It's like having a grandparent tell a small child that there are monsters under his bed without parental knowledge.
Exactly. That is why I was mad. We are ok now, since we talked things through.

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns""Father carl and me... well..." said in a softening voice as I look away.  :D That one really made me laugh.
I simply answer: "Why not?"
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]