News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

LHC is back with big energy boost

Started by Tank, April 05, 2012, 06:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

LHC is back with big energy boost

QuoteThe Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is operating again after its winter break.

Early on Thursday, opposing stable beams of protons were smashed into each other at four observation positions.

The total collision energy in these bunches of sub-atomic particles was eight trillion electron volts - a world record.

Scientists expect the big boost in capability to significantly increase the collider's chances of discovering "new physics".

The great expectation is that they will definitively confirm or deny the existence of the Higgs boson, the elusive particle that would help explain why matter has mass...

Keep smashing rocks together!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Anyone think they are having a smashing good time down there?  ;D

Seriously, though. Eagerly anticipating their findings. Probably gonna be a good material for some AC (anti-creationist) shell we can load into Tank and fire at the fundies.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Firebird

The higgs boson, you mean? If only they weren't calling it the "God particle"  >:(
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

Quote from: Firebird on April 08, 2012, 03:10:33 AM
The higgs boson, you mean? If only they weren't calling it the "God particle"  >:(
The autor who coined the term "The God Particle" wanted to call it the god-damn particle but his publisher wouldn't let him.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-