News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hi

Started by Crow, April 05, 2011, 04:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Hi to those that are reading this,

Thought I would introduce myself to this digital community that intend to participate within. As you may see I have pigeon holed my worldview "open-minded atheist" I know my beliefs  as I think it is important to study religion, philosophy, history, and science to get a well rounded opinion of what my beliefs are, that includes reading, viewing, and debating opposing views to my own with an open-mind that doesn't belittle (however does challenge) the views of others that oppose my own.

I will be mainly be posting in the religious section of this forum as I am looking for intellectual debates from various view points (which seems from prior reading to be the case) as I have yet to find people in the real world that are capable of doing so.

Here are a few things about me I thought may/may not be interesting to people reading the post.

• The username Crow comes from the book Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, Crow is the name given to the main characters thoughts that challenge the character.
• I don't believe in a god of any kind, and is my personal view they were created to fill in the gaps of human knowledge at the time of there creation, and to be used to help governing powers to control people in a easy and effective manner that allowed them to go unquestioned.
• I don't believe that Jesus of Nazareth existed.
• I think that Mohamed was a philosopher with political motivation, or believed his own views so much he considered them to be divine.
• That the monotheistic religions are actually polytheistic.
• Ethics and morals are not caused by religion but are a natural occurrence in nature and via evolution have allowed social based animals with a longer life span and a smaller reproduction rate to prosper.
• Humans are equal to all other forms of nature, we are no more/less important than anything else in the environments we live.
• The beauty of science is that we are trying to discover how things actually work rather than guess, and that everything we know may be debunked with new discoveries.
• There is only one thing i dislike more than a bigot and that is bigot's who justify there views with religion.
• I have actually read most of the religious texts, this is why i have such a strong stance in view points especially when compared to historical evidence.
• If I'm wrong I will admit it.

Thanks, look forward to contributing to the community.

Crow
Retired member.

Tank

Hello crow

Good introduction, looks like you are going to fit in really well here. Have you noticed the posting restrictions? A little while ago Whitney decided to build in a 'getting to know you' period of 50 posts where a new member is restricted to the 'Getting to know you' forums which comprise the Laid Back Lounge (LBL), Introductions and the Help Desk forums. This has proved to be quite worthwhile primarily in stopping 'shit and run' theists and spammers. There are a lot of relatively trivial fun threads in the LBL that you can get stuck into that will let us get to know you and you us. I have been on a number of forums and will personally attest to the fact that this one is worth making the effort to get into.

You may notice some members posting in in areas outside Getting to Know You who have post counts of less than 50, these are people who joined before the rule was created. Please don't let this put you off.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Hi Tank,

The posting restrictions are good idea, It is due to the quality of the forum that i decided to sign up rather than just browse. It would have been nice to get straight into some discussion but the prerequisite isn't so bad, maybe a tad high which will mean i probably wont get to post in the section as soon as i would like to.

thanks for the reply.
Retired member.

chempel96

Very nice introduction. I hope to hear many good things from you!

Tank

Quote from: "Crow"Hi Tank,

The posting restrictions are good idea, It is due to the quality of the forum that i decided to sign up rather than just browse. It would have been nice to get straight into some discussion but the prerequisite isn't so bad, maybe a tad high which will mean i probably wont get to post in the section as soon as i would like to.

thanks for the reply.
You're welcome. You'll just have to become a 'post whore' for a couple of weeks  lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

joeactor

Hi Crow,

I'll third (forth?) the "Great Intro".

There are a great many of your points that I fully agree with.

That being said, I gotta admit the first thing I though of was:

(welcome!),
JoeActor

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Crow"• If I'm wrong I will admit it.

You'll eat crow?
I'm glad I never have to do that.
Welcome Crow.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

missedtheboat

Welcome! Also, like everyone said, great intro :)

Twentythree

Welcome, I'm still working on my 50 but so far i can tell it'll be worth it. Everyone here so far seems intelligent but not pompous,insightful but not preachy, a well rounded diverse and kind group overall...now lets get to it already....

DeterminedJuliet

Welcome!
I also haven't reached the "50 post" mark yet, so you'll see me around here quite a bit ;)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.