News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hello There!

Started by DeterminedJuliet, April 08, 2011, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Hi guys!

I'm new here, and I thought I'd introduce myself. I don't want to give away too many personal details (I like keeping my online life anonymous), but I live in Canada, I'm in my mid-20s, married and a mom of one. I have a BA in History and Sociology, I like tribal fusion dance and yoga. My husband is currently enrolled in a Ph.d program in English.

If I had to describe my "beliefs" (or lack thereof) I'd describe myself as a secular humanist. Both my husband and I were raised Catholic, but as we reached our 20s we both fell out with the religion. We both find the philosophical aspects of Taoism appealing and useful as a general foundation for a lifestyle, but we don't have any plans to raise our son as "Taoist" or anything like that.

That's about it! Hi everyone!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Hello DJ

Welcome to HAF,  hope you enjoy yourself here.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

fester30

Welcome to our cesspool of heatheness.

McQ

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. Thanks for the information on you and your husband. Secular Humanism is, in my opinion, a very good way to describe and label oneself if need be.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Twentythree

I agree secular humanist does sound quite nice, not nearly as bad ass as Operating Thetan Level III...but then again, not all of us are as badass as Maverick.

missedtheboat

Welcome! how old is your child?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: "missedtheboat"Welcome! how old is your child?

He's 10 months old (and very busy! :))
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

missedtheboat

aww! birthday coming up!! mine is 17 months!!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hollyda