News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

It's Sunday. What are you going to do today?

Started by Tank, February 14, 2021, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

It is a '70. Those hub caps started in '73. The originals looked like that (beginning in '69) except the center part was dished in and the "bowtie" was painted blue. The originals have been replaced over time as they got lost. I'd like a step side and I like the '67s for the lack of side marker lights and the slanted front portion of the hood (same as '68, for the hood).

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 09, 2023, 03:35:22 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 09, 2023, 03:01:29 AMThat looks really swish!

Thanks! (if "swish" is British jargon for nice) It's the design of grille that the truck came with. Looking at the picture, I can see where the bumper is bent. I was at an antique vehicle meetup last Saturday afternoon, and I realized that putting a new grille in the truck was the start of a slippery slope. I mentioned that to another attendee, who asked what I meant. I explained that once something shiny went on, more stuff had to be replaced to the same level of shiny. To straighten and replate that front bumper is about $500. All the side trim needs polishing and in the case of the lower trim, needs new wood-grain tape. I'm stopping at the grille, since I just wanted it to be the correct design. I have a friend who has dropped $60k in his truck, and it isn't even completely assembled. That amount doesn't include labor, because he's done almost all the work himself. He had "help" with the paint job, having it done at a body shop. But he's doing "indentured servitude" by sanding vehicles for the body shop manager, to pay for that paint job.

Ias you say a mobile money pit if you're not careful!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

mine was a stripper, painted bumper, blocked off radio and cigarette lighter holes. spare tire was up in a mount behind the drivers head. 250 six banger, three on the tree, wooden bed

whats the motor? still have the huge parking brake lever?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on August 09, 2023, 03:03:50 PMmine was a stripper, painted bumper, blocked off radio and cigarette lighter holes. spare tire was up in a mount behind the drivers head. 250 six banger, three on the tree, wooden bed

whats the motor? still have the huge parking brake lever?

That's about what I'd want, except an automatic because I'm the only one who can drive a stick. It has a 402 cubic inch big block. Starting in '69 the parking brake is a pedal instead of the lever.

billy rubin

402? im not familiar with that

what did you do to get that? bore out a 396?

do you have the auto in this?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on August 09, 2023, 04:56:44 PM402? im not familiar with that

what did you do to get that? bore out a 396?

do you have the auto in this?

Yes, the 402 is a 396 bored .030 over. That's the factory's work, not mine. The engine has been bored out once, about 30 years and 100k miles ago. It's due again. Don't know how much, maybe enough that it can't be done again. It has the 400 THM automatic transmission in it.

billy rubin

shoot i love the turbo 400. i had one in my 1950 hudson. the traditional hot rod go-to, along with the detroit locker.

you have a truck that i would love to take away from you.

currently i have a 2007 silverado 3/4-ton, with a 360 small block. the only reason i even know it has spark plugs is because i can run it on gasoline.

more pitchers, please

can you re-sleeve your block?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on August 09, 2023, 07:40:34 PMshoot i love the turbo 400. i had one in my 1950 hudson. the traditional hot rod go-to, along with the detroit locker.

you have a truck that i would love to take away from you.

currently i have a 2007 silverado 3/4-ton, with a 360 small block. the only reason i even know it has spark plugs is because i can run it on gasoline.

more pitchers, please

can you re-sleeve your block?

You'd have to pry that truck out of my wife's cold, dead fingers. :lol: It's been in the family since '73. It would probably cost more to sleeve it than to just buy a new 454. But I don't need it that big a displacement, since we sold the travel trailer and bought a motor home.

Parked in the driveway-

At a local campground, with the travel trailer-

billy rubin

lol

with the fuel tank behind the seat.

who at GM really thought that ynrough?

Dark Lightning

Indeed. It also has those saddle tanks outside the frame rails on both sides. Good for making distance between fill ups, notorious for fires when the vehicle is t-boned and the tank is ruptured. Lots of people remove that tank and install one between the frame rails where the spare tire was. Still dangerous in a rear-end collision, but not as bad.

billy rubin

i had a friend with a pinto

ford retrofitted a device to keep it from auto incineratin in the event of a rear ender

it was a iece of thin plastic hung between the tank and the resr environment

she was not impressed

MarcusA

In the horse and cart days, did they talk about rear enders?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

yes.

i live in horse and buggy country and rear end collisions are common and deadly.

the smart people put a light or reflector at tbe top of the buggy so it shows up when someone crests a hill just behind them.

but the schwarzentrubers where i live just usr a single flat wick kerosene lamp and minimal reflectors. i dont drive fast at dusk, and they try to be off tbe roads at nightfall.

Tank

In the UK you can be done for driving under the influence riding on a bicycle but not if you're riding a horse. Apparently has sufficient self determination that it is not fully under the control of the rider.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

Sundays come and go but Mondays stay the same.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.