News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

My hero...?

Started by Unlinked, April 04, 2012, 07:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlinked

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylv=3?qid=20090305151758AA7dWwd

If this isn't the appropriate place to post this, tell me, but I had to show this to someone. Dang. Being as attached to stories as I am, censorship and book banning just get me, and this sort of heroism makes my year.

Tank

Interesting. I buy banned books automatically  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Hmm... Does a school even have the right to ban personal use of certain printed material?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Now I'm no child psychologist, but a list of banned books...??  Duh!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Guardian85

Absolutely fan-damn-tastic!

I am completly opposed to the banning of books and anyone who condones or practices it.
I mean seriously! If your belief system is so weak that you cannot condone of kids even reading a dissentiong opinion, then it is time to re-evaluate your beliefs.

Somebody give this kid a prize! Or a cookie.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

hismikeness

QuoteTwilight is banned also, but I don't want that polluting my library.

Beautiful.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 04, 2012, 12:22:48 PM
Now I'm no child psychologist, but a list of banned books...??  Duh!

LOL  This is what I was thinking; if you want to guarantee interest in a book, ban it! 

Too Few Lions

What an awful school, I thought the Catholics had given up on banning books years ago, but old habits die hard I guess. I'm glad to see Fahrenheit 451 hasn't made it onto their blacklist yet, that would be a good book for all the students (and teachers) to read.

John_5.0

There should be more stories like this circulated. Its good to see someone doing what is right! Banning books is so ridiculous..

Guardian85

Quote from: John_5.0 on April 04, 2012, 04:50:25 PM
There should be more stories like this circulated. Its good to see someone doing what is right! Banning books is so ridiculous..

Actually, one could easily make the argument that banning a book is in fact a form of breach of the freedom of speech. When you ban a book from a certain part of the population, you are removing the authors ability to express his opinion and ideas to that part of the population.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Unlinked

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 04, 2012, 09:55:19 PM
Quote from: John_5.0 on April 04, 2012, 04:50:25 PM

Actually, one could easily make the argument that banning a book is in fact a form of breach of the freedom of speech. When you ban a book from a certain part of the population, you are removing the authors ability to express his opinion and ideas to that part of the population.

I suppose one could make the argument that, oh, the kids could read those books on their own time, but considering it's a Catholic school, the students' parents might also forbid their children from reading whatever's on the list.

Guardian85

A school that doesn't encourage it's students to read should be ashamd of itself.

-Unknown Smartass-

John_5.0

That is a very good point Guardian85, have you or anyone else ever heard of someone bringing that up in protest of banning books?

xSilverPhinx

That's just, for lack of a better word...pathetic. I would be embarrassed to have gone to that school.

They banned the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...blasphamous!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Wow. I know that student asked their question 3 years ago, so I'm sure they're in college/university now, causing some wonderful kind of hell  :D Seriously though, good for them. That's AWESOME, what they wanted to do with their books.  ;D

I hate banned book lists. Banning something's the quickest way to have it flourish, and FAST.

And some of the books on that list... seriously??? Paradise Lost? Mort, the Terry Pratchett book? A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? Bridge to Terabithia, for goodness sake?? Wow. Just wow. I know some Catholic schools are pretty touchy about stuff that's really 'controversial', but banning that stuff goes over the top.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan