News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Atheist Proselytizers

Started by myleviathan, December 05, 2007, 06:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myleviathan

I was in Ybor City outside of Tampa, FL not too long ago. There was actually a group of ATHEISTS on one of the street corners yelling at people that Jesus is dead and handing out pamphlets. I was shocked. What do you guys think about this?
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Will

I think that it's a bad idea. Radical atheism is like radical gentile-ism. Being radical for what one is not is a really wonderful way to waste time.
1) There's no actual evidence that Jesus was ever alive. How can someone who was possibly never born dead? It's inflammatory and radical, that's how. It has nothing to do with helping people to understand.
2) Street corners? That doesn't seem a safe location to protest against something that's so popular. I'd be concerned about being ironically stoned to death on the corner by passers by.
3) Atheism is about being strong for yourself and helping others who ask for assistance. It has exactly jack to do with attacking people. Atheists like this give us all a bad name.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rlrose328

Not too happy to hear about that, quite frankly.  Just live your non-faith (as the faithful would say) and show the world that we are accepting, nice, moral folks without all the preaching like they do.

Then again, that means they think they can rule the world because we are accepting and silent.

All the same, it's a bad idea to be all yelling and such.  Just live and try to be happy.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

MommaSquid

Standing on the street corner yelling that Jesus is dead is not a positive demonstration of atheism....it's just plain dangerous.  

Did you pick up a fine, hand-crafted cigar while you were in Ybor City?  I hear they're the next best thing to a Cuban cigar.

Tom62

I agree with all postings above. Why should we use the same stupid methods as the fanatical christians to get the "message" across?

@MommaSquid: Talking about cigars, I feel sorry for you guys in the USA that you can't smoke real Havanna's. When will this silly trade embargo with Cuba stop?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SteveS

Quote from: "Willravel"3) Atheism is about being strong for yourself and helping others who ask for assistance. It has exactly jack to do with attacking people. Atheists like this give us all a bad name.
Wow - I really agree with this, very strongly.  This was well phrased, Will.

myleviathan

QuoteDid you pick up a fine, hand-crafted cigar while you were in Ybor City? I hear they're the next best thing to a Cuban cigar.

I did pick up a cigar. Very enjoyable. I used to have some Canadian neighbors that would totally hook us up with Cuban cigars anytime they visited home. Alas, we have moved since then... So Ybor is the next best bet. Or maybe a good Dominican... they also have a beer made in Ybor but I didn't find it too impressive. It had a strange flavor.

QuoteWhen will this silly trade embargo with Cuba stop?

There was some talk of it a few years ago. Apparently somebody had asked Fidel if he was ready for masses of Spring Breakers. He said bring it on. I don't think it's been at the top of anyone's priority list recently, as it's an election year and all. During election year apparently politicians have to die on a few well selected swords because the American public doesn't have the attention span to consider abortion intelligently and chew gum at the same time. I would love it if they lifted the stupid embargo. But now that Fidel met with Chavez and Kim Jong and Mahmoud, he's participated in the axis of eyvil. Eyvilders. EYVILDERS!!

And how about the retarted debate about Mitt Romney's Mormonism? Joseph Smith supposedly interpreted golden scrolls or some shit which is no different than stone tablets next to the burning f-ing bush. And the Conservative right is going ApeShit! My wife thismorning says to me "Golden Scrolls? What garbage!" I raise an eyebrow and say "Stone Tablets. What's the difference. IT'S ALL THE SAME BULL. " She's like, "heeey, heeey, heeeey". (she's also a Christian for those of you who might not know).
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

User192021

Probably a very bad idea.  Atheists need to keep in mind the perception most people (especially southerners) already have of us.  Fair or not, we're digging ourselves out of an already deep hole and shouting at people from a street corner is not helpful.

Bella

It's not appropriate to shout (offensive) things in public. It doesn't matter if it's about abortion, race, religion, or how much you hate the color pink.

BleedingOrchid

I think it's funny! You know, I'd probably go check it out!
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

Whitney

Yelling at peoplel isn't going to make any difference...it is more likely to make things worse when you are yelling in favor of the unpopular group...even most christians dislike street preachers...they are annoying.

Now....it would be funny to parody street preachers by pretending to be a christians and going way over the top with it...preaching the bible literally including all the less favorable parts.  we had one do that when i was in college...i think he was doing it for humor; even if he wasn't it was really funny.  he would pick women out of the crowd with short hair and start in on them for being whores and things like that.

0dan1

surely this is what America, in particular, needs??

I hear loads of stories about how atheist is so looked down on, and people have to lie about having faith in order to retain their social standing or jobs or whatever... especially in political circles.

So i think atheists making themselves heard, showing people they don't have to hide it, showing people that there IS an alternative to what they have been taught to believe, and that there are others like them.. is very important indeed.

It is not necessarily radical evangelism of atheism

Marke

I bet they where Christians trying to make us look bad...

BleedingOrchid

Quote from: "Marke"I bet they where Christians trying to make us look bad...

HAHA! Regardless, what a bunch of goons!
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

Asmodean Prime

In came across the literary version of these proselytizers the other day, Richard Dawkins, arguing the case for a Newton day instead of Christmas day in the New Statesman - http://www.newstatesman.com/200712130029