News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The HAF Thread of All Things Nom!

Started by philosoraptor, March 03, 2012, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 11, 2012, 02:12:35 AM
Quote from: philosoraptor on March 11, 2012, 01:41:06 AM
Well crud.  I guess I need to add cocoa to my shopping list!

Icing sugar=confectioner's sugar, or am I making stuff up in my head again?

As far as I know, it's the same thing. I think. My husband and I just tried this tonight and it is seriously so easy and so yummy! And, at about 200 calories a pop, it's not a bad way to satisfy a chocolate cake craving.
Do you really fancy becoming types diabetic? Seriously that amount of refined sugar can't be good for you  :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Probably not. But considering the fact that it's probably the only refined thing that I really eat in the run of a day, and how much crap is in a lot of other sweets, I'm okay with it.

The odd 1/4 cup of refined sugar is not going to kill me, or anyone else, if you have an otherwise healthy and balanced diet, I don't think.

Edit: for context, 1/4 cup of sugar is approximately how much sugar is in two cans of coke. No, I wouldn't drink coke every day, but I don't think drinking two cans of coke a day here and there will give anyone diabetes. When you consider all of the other crap they put in coke (chemicals, dye, the acidity etc), I think you're better off with sugar mixed with two other, pretty "clean" ingredients.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 11, 2012, 12:04:01 PM
Probably not. But considering the fact that it's probably the only refined thing that I really eat in the run of a day, and how much crap is in a lot of other sweets, I'm okay with it.

The odd 1/4 cup of refined sugar is not going to kill me, or anyone else, if you have an otherwise healthy and balanced diet, I don't think.

Edit: for context, 1/4 cup of sugar is approximately how much sugar is in two cans of coke. No, I wouldn't drink coke every day, but I don't think drinking two cans of coke a day here and there will give anyone diabetes. When you consider all of the other crap they put in coke (chemicals, dye, the acidity etc), I think you're better off with sugar mixed with two other, pretty "clean" ingredients.
You're probably right, I'm just in 'grumpy old fart' mode.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

That's okay, I'm a grumpy fart sometimes and I'm not even that old!
And "grumpy fart" is almost always less endearing than "grumpy old fart".  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

hismikeness

For dinner last night I took chicken breasts, salted and peppered them, added a slice of a cream cheese brick, some leaf baby spinach, and wrapped in a bacon slice and secured with a toothpick. . 375° for 40-45 minutes.

Holy crap they were good.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hismikeness on March 11, 2012, 04:53:22 PM
For dinner last night I took chicken breasts, salted and peppered them, added a slice of a cream cheese brick, some leaf baby spinach, and wrapped in a bacon slice and secured with a toothpick. . 375° for 40-45 minutes.

I think I just had a heart attack by association.  I will, however, pass this to my girlfriend who will go nuts for it and I'll make the potato-leek soup for myself.
Sandy

DeterminedJuliet

Thread resurrection! Bam!

I'm attempting to properly caramelize onions. The next 45 minutes better be worth it.

Ihateyoumike

Note to self: make you make these for me next time I come over.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

hismikeness

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on August 06, 2012, 07:59:27 AM

Note to self: make you make these for me next time I come over.

Just figure out how to make them in foil over the coals for next time...
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Ali

I made an omelet for the first time ever yesterday.  I've always been too intimidated to try, but it turned out perfectly.  Omelets for everybody!  Omelets forever!

Buddy

What did you have on it? My favorite is a simple bacon, onion, and cheese.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Sandra Craft

Many, many years ago I took a short trip to Vancouver and had tea at the Empress Hotel.  This included english muffins drenched in butter and honey.  It was better than chocolate.
Sandy

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 07, 2012, 03:28:46 AM
Many, many years ago I took a short trip to Vancouver and had tea at the Empress Hotel.  This included english muffins drenched in butter and honey.  It was better than chocolate.
I think I know what I want to be buried in after I die.