News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The HAF Thread of All Things Nom!

Started by philosoraptor, March 03, 2012, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philosoraptor

I searched and didn't see a thread dedicated specifically to cooking and recipes, but if I missed it please feel free to combine threads.

I don't know about you guys, but I loooove to cook!  I also love trying out new recipes, as eating the same things all the time gets kind of boring.  I'm also totally the person that will see something tasty on Food Network at 3am and get a bug up my ass to make it RIGHT THEN.

So, let this be a thread where we can all share our favorite recipes and make cooking related inquiries.

Since our membership is so diverse and spread out, I'd especially love to see any of your favorite recipes that are specific to the country or region you live in.  ;D

I have to get back to cleaning my kitchen, but I'm hoping whatever I end up making for dinner might be in this thread when I return!
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

DeterminedJuliet

Oooh, Nice! I found this recipe for spiced chai concentrate that I can't wait to try. I bet it'd be delicious on/in many things.

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

Brandy Bananas

Melt some butter
put in some brown sugar (maybe half a cup)
put in some brandy.

Pour it over a banana lying in a dish.
Microwave for about 40 seconds
Flip the banana
Microwave for maybe 20-40 seconds more.

Nom Nom!

PS, Sorry, I am not sure of the quantities, just try your luck, it is very, very nice esp with ice cream.

Post edit: half the bananas lengthwise before cooking. You can cook two or three bananas at a time, this doesn't mean you need 3 times half a cup of sugar, after cooking the sauce should be syrupy and you will know if the bananas are overcooked because they go soggy when overcooked.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

A nice basic Pizza I just made up.

Get a good Pizza base from your supermarket  (this is more of a pizza topping recipe)
Put a layer of tomato sauce
Layer of spinach
Layer of Spicy Salami
Some Cheese (Mozzarella for stretchiness, Parmasian for flavour) (or whatever cheese mix you prefer)
Some Green Olives (I find the black ones too bitter and strong flavoured)
Some Feta cheese, chopped into 5mm cubes
Some whole Garlic cloves (blanch them three times, so that you dull down the flavour, don't want them too strong)
Final sprinkling of cheese

Cook and eat.

Stevil

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 03, 2012, 01:46:43 AM
Oooh, Nice! I found this recipe for spiced chai concentrate that I can't wait to try. I bet it'd be delicious on/in many things.

I love Indian tea,  char nu marsala is my favorite.
I'll certainly give this recipe a try.

philosoraptor

So far all these things sound good!  I wonder how long that chai concentrate would keep in the fridge?
-Muse

squidfetish

I make a fair few soups - this is my latest concoction. It's rather good.

Leek and Potato Soup

2 large leeks
1 onion
2 large potatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 large sprig rosemary
black pepper
olive oil
Knorr vegetable stock

Chop the leeks, onion, garlic and rosemary finely and fry gently in olive oil for 4-5 minutes
Chop the potatoes into small pieces
Add the potato and black pepper and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.
Add 750ml vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Blend with a food processor, check seasoning and serve.
reptilian overlord

Stevil

Quote from: Stevil on March 03, 2012, 04:05:30 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 03, 2012, 01:46:43 AM

I love Indian tea,  char nu marsala is my favorite.
I'll certainly give this recipe a try.
Just made this tonight, it was indeed very nice.

A bit different to what I usually do, I normally add condensed milk into the pot rather than sugar, honey and vanilla, but with the milk this means it needs to be drunk straight away. I also haven't put orange zest in before.

But I like this recipe, it means I can make up a batch and use it through out the week, or two.

philosoraptor

Tonight I made my own mock up of caramel apple empanada filling.  I didn't feel like doing crust, but I'm sure you could do this as a filling for pie if you wanted to.

First, I sliced my apples into small pieces.  I used Granny Smiths, since I like my apples more crisp and tart.  I used 4 medium sized apples.  I tossed the apple pieces with a squeeze of lemon juice and set them aside.

In a sauce pan, I melted two sticks of butter and added a generous splash of pure vanilla, a splash of cream, and a shot of brandy.  Slowly, I whisked in about a cup of brown sugar and a cup of vanilla sugar, plus some cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and other baking spices.  I brought it to a boil, then reduced the heat and let it thicken up on the stove.  I tossed the apples with the caramel sauce, and about half a cup of flour.  I poured my coated apples into a pie pan, and let it bake in the oven, 20 minutes at 350*.  It doesn't get firm like a fully baked pie would, but the hot caramel apples make an excellent topping for vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt!
-Muse

DeterminedJuliet

Get a mug
Crack an egg into said mug
Add 1/4 cup icing sugar
Add one heaping tablespoon of cocoa
Mix together very well
Put in the microwave for one minute and then

PREPARE TO HAVE YOUR MIND BLOWN

philosoraptor

Well crud.  I guess I need to add cocoa to my shopping list!

Icing sugar=confectioner's sugar, or am I making stuff up in my head again?
-Muse

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: philosoraptor on March 11, 2012, 01:41:06 AM
Well crud.  I guess I need to add cocoa to my shopping list!

Icing sugar=confectioner's sugar, or am I making stuff up in my head again?

As far as I know, it's the same thing. I think. My husband and I just tried this tonight and it is seriously so easy and so yummy! And, at about 200 calories a pop, it's not a bad way to satisfy a chocolate cake craving.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: squidfetish on March 03, 2012, 09:01:27 PM
I make a fair few soups - this is my latest concoction. It's rather good.

Leek and Potato Soup

2 large leeks
1 onion
2 large potatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 large sprig rosemary
black pepper
olive oil
Knorr vegetable stock

Chop the leeks, onion, garlic and rosemary finely and fry gently in olive oil for 4-5 minutes
Chop the potatoes into small pieces
Add the potato and black pepper and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.
Add 750ml vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Blend with a food processor, check seasoning and serve.

Could this be translated into Amurrican?  We don't do no metrics 'round here.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Stevil