News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

'Supergiant' crustacean found in deepest ocean

Started by Tank, February 03, 2012, 05:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

'Supergiant' crustacean found in deepest ocean

QuoteA huge crustacean has been found lurking 7km down in the waters off the coast of New Zealand.

The creature - called a supergiant - is a type of amphipod, which are normally around 2-3cm long.

But these beasts, discovered in the Kermadec Trench, were more than 10 times bigger: the largest found measured in at 34cm.

Alan Jamieson, from the University of Aberdeen's Oceanlab, said: "It's a bit like finding a foot-long cockroach."

"I stopped and thought: 'What on Earth was that?' This amphipod was far bigger than I ever thought possible."

See also video of the deepest fish ever filmed alive!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Cool!

...But ugly. But cool. But ugly... But cool.

For the record, if they DO find a foot long roach, The Asmo is moving to ISS.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Stevil

Hmmm, something new on the menu. This will bring in some well needed revenue to our country.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on February 03, 2012, 10:16:52 AM
Cool!

...But ugly. But cool. But ugly... But cool.

For the record, if they DO find a foot long roach, The Asmo is moving to ISS.

There are giant weta's.

QuotePoor Knights giant weta (Deinacrida fallai) - this specimen has an overall length of 200 mm (8 in)

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crocoduck

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Tank

Buddy

I wonder if somewhere, miles under the ocean, there is a twenty meter shrimp.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 09, 2012, 03:12:30 PM
I wonder if somewhere, miles under the ocean, there is a twenty meter shrimp.
You never know. We know less about the ocean depths than the surface of the Moon. 12 men have stood on the surface of the Moon. The deepest part of the ocean has only been visited by two men in a steel ball.

Asmodean

Only two humans, but plenty of Asmos. They are tolerant to extreme pressure.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Beachdragon

Gee, I guess I'm the only one who thinks that creature is beautiful.  The pattern of it's shell and how it all fits together, amazing.    But then, I am interested in invertebrates.  This is indeed cool.

Buddy

I also find invertebrates interesting. Or at least interesting enough to have a colony of Dubai roaches
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Beachdragon

Cool!  I used to do volunteer work at the Zoo in Washington DC.  I trained in the Invertebrate house.  We had all kinds of stuff and it was great fun to talk to the public and do feedings of the animals.

Sometimes we woud take the Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches out and put them on our shirts like broaches and walk up to people to talk about them.

I remember once I had a dead walking stick in my hand and this one girl turned around and saw it with me and screamed at the top of her lungs!  LOL.