News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Your body does not belong to you, but to God

Started by pytheas, January 25, 2012, 08:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pytheas

Used as the premise with which:

-abortion is claimed to be "murder"
-euthanasia and suicide is considered "wrong"
-Higher attributes of the human psyche ("soul" "spirit" the mental self) like love, trust, values and worthiness are  separated forn their actual  origin=human and are wrongfully assigned to  another positive (fictional) entity =god, jzs, goodie
-Lower and negative attributes of the human animal  are again separated from their actual  origin=human and are wrongfully assigned to yet another negative (fictional) entity = devil, satan, badie 

There is a significant remark you may want to billboard in everybody's consciousness

If you say my body does not belong to me,  but to God, then YOU ARE A SLAVE TRADER in need of a Nurenberg trial
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Asmodean

If some asshole god wants to lay claim to my body, he can send me a letter, which I will toss into the recycling bin without reading.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

If my body belongs to god why does it complain to me?

I have an interest in my body.
So do a multitude of bacteria.
The occasional virus may stake a claim.
A large fish may see things entirely differently. 

Gawen

The following comes from the most revered buffoon claimed to write it:
1 Corinthians 6:12-20

1. God has criterion for believers body. 6:12-13
a. Must edify self. 6:12
b. Must not enslave the soul. 6:12
c. Must exalt the Savior. 10:31
d. Must encourage the saints. 8:13
e. Must evangelize sinners. 9:19-22; 10:32-33
f. Must exemplify the Savior. 11:1

2. God has intent for believers body. 6:13-14
a. In the present God will use believers body. 6:13
b. In the future God will raise believers body. 6:14

3. God protects believers body. 6:15-18
a. Remember your sacred union with god. 6:15-17
b. Avoid sexual perversion. 6:18

4. God has possession of believers body. 6:19
a. Believer is important to God.
b. God is in believers body.

5. God has paid for believers body. 6:20
a. God is the owner of believers body.
b. Believer to honor God with believers body.

"Sounds fishy" isn't quite what I'd call it.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Gawen

A Christian has no "rights"; but instead "gifts." The Bible does not mention  "right to life", for example, because life is a gift. A Christian has no "rights" over their body; God holds those "rights".  A Christian's body is but an instrument to be used in service to God, a living temple of God. It is not a private domain for them to use as they seem fit. Life is a gift that they are made responsible for. As a responsible Christian, they are not to gripe or whine so much as they get involved (in whatever) as long as they lead the way in good stewardship of God's gifts exemplified in the likes of 1 Cor 6 and elsewhere within the Bible.

Any way to decrease oneself's humanity and exalt the unknown; to not be led to believe a giant fist withholds their "rights", but instead to feel grateful for such a free gift, despite the unreasonable responsibilities for maintaining it is just plain wrong. 

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

DeterminedJuliet

Well, I've gone ahead and fucked up my "temple" with tattoos, piercings, alcohol, and caffeine. And I don't plan on having any more babies, so my body is probably pretty useless to God :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

If God paid for my body (per Gawen's post) then I urge him to try to find out what kind of warranty I'm under.  Parts of me were clearly built with planned obsolescence in mind.   ;D

Gawen

Does anyone else find it odd that an entity with no body and does not live as humans do gives a body and life to humans as a gift AND THEN commands them how they MUST use it?

Ali

Not particularly odd.  What I mean is, when I think about them logically, I find most things in Christianity to be illogical and convoluted (I'm sure I would for other religions too, but being raised Christian, that is the religion that I know the best), so the whole incorporeal being who gives you a body and tells you how to use it is actually low on my personal "side eye meter." Comparatively speaking. 

The Magic Pudding

Oh if I was a god I'd be telling people what to do with their bodies.
I'd have an eternity to while away, amusement would be required.
I've taken sadistic pleasure rigging twister games, I don't think scaling this up would present a problem.

Sweetdeath

If god paid for my body, there are lots of issues to  fix, such as my ovary inbalance. T_T

Haha, I am the definition of sexual perversion. I like everything. Screw you god.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Whitney

Ad's comment that caused a giant derail mess are here along with the related replies http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=9240.0

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Gawen

There are no warranties, per se. But you do get a new model after you die. I've always wondered what a Christian will look like after his/her resurrection. I mean, will you look like you did just before you died? Will you look like you're twenty if you died at 85? Will resurrected babies be babies or look like they're 20? If they're babies, who will care for them? Will men's foreskins be reattached and have to lop them off again? Ahh, that's neither here nor there.

It would seem about the only thing one can do is have his foreskin chopped off...unless he's a Gentile or American (still popular over here). That makes me wonder if Jews for Jesus get it lopped off.
And women can wear jewelery, but not in church. Then again, 1 Timothy 2:9 says you can't wear it at all.
No tattoos.

Oh yeah, we can still drink wine. Nothing in the Bible about ale's, spirits nor the amount of wine one can consume.

What a bunch of horse puckey...

pytheas

Quote from: Gawen
But you do get a new model after you die.

the single thing religions hang on to and depend upon for their existence, commiting the most heinous crime of not allowing or helping the current model IN LIFE to live in harmony with each other
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE