News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Your body does not belong to you, but to God

Started by pytheas, January 25, 2012, 08:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Gawen on January 28, 2012, 11:18:42 AM
There are no warranties, per se. But you do get a new model after you die. I've always wondered what a Christian will look like after his/her resurrection. I mean, will you look like you did just before you died? Will you look like you're twenty if you died at 85? Will resurrected babies be babies or look like they're 20? If they're babies, who will care for them? Will men's foreskins be reattached and have to lop them off again? Ahh, that's neither here nor there.

I've wondered much the same.  I hope closer to my twenties.

Reprobate

Look around. If god were the owner of everyones' bodies, shouldn't he take better care of his shit.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Reprobate on February 20, 2012, 02:57:51 PM
Look around. If god were the owner of everyones' bodies, shouldn't he take better care of his shit.
Haha.  You would think.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

statichaos

I have no issue with the idea that my body belongs to God.  This also means that my brain belongs to God, which means that my thoughts are produced by God, which in turn means that anything that I do to my body is ordained as good by God.

Gawen

That's one way of looking at it...and frankly, Paul's scripture would prove you right.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Tank

Quote from: statichaos on February 20, 2012, 06:41:39 PM
I have no issue with the idea that my body belongs to God.  This also means that my brain belongs to God, which means that my thoughts are produced by God, which in turn means that anything that I do to my body is ordained as good by God.
:D A theistic justification for masturbation! Well done sir!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

statichaos

Quote from: Tank on February 21, 2012, 09:53:59 AM
:D A theistic justification for masturbation! Well done sir!

And that's only the beginning!

pytheas

apart from the accurate jokes, the remark about paul's scriptures is in level sinister with your take home message.

How easy to abandon responsibility and become defiant, egotistically centered and full of one's self.

the archetypal king Kreon with his daughter antigone, justified yet disconnected

That is the tremendous appeal we as atheists are facing against the weak and credulous. And they may be many.
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

statichaos

Quote from: pytheas on February 22, 2012, 05:55:51 PM

apart from the accurate jokes, the remark about paul's scriptures is in level sinister with your take home message.

How easy to abandon responsibility and become defiant, egotistically centered and full of one's self.

the archetypal king Kreon with his daughter antigone, justified yet disconnected

That is the tremendous appeal we as atheists are facing against the weak and credulous. And they may be many.

Paul's scriptures don't apply in my specific case, as I'm not a Christian.  I also don't consider myself to be either weak or credulous, though I suppose that I could be wrong.

Along the lines of the "I don't believe in morality/ethics" thread, I find all moral values and ethical systems to be subjective.  Personally (and all jokes aside), while I attempt to go along with what I consider to be God's will, I'm also aware that my brain is an imperfect translator for the perfect, and that I'm just as subject to cultural prejudices, societal pressures, and other temporal and limited concerns as anyone else.  Still and all, I do my best to do right by other people, to practice compassion, to tolerate and welcome all that which does not infringe upon the rights or safety of others, and to attempt to understand the struggles of others to come to their own terms with the mysteries of existence.  That's largely my basis for what I define as good, and it's the best method that I have for expressing what I see as God's will.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: statichaos on February 22, 2012, 06:25:44 PM
Paul's scriptures don't apply in my specific case, as I'm not a Christian.  I also don't consider myself to be either weak or credulous, though I suppose that I could be wrong.

Along the lines of the "I don't believe in morality/ethics" thread, I find all moral values and ethical systems to be subjective.  Personally (and all jokes aside), while I attempt to go along with what I consider to be God's will, I'm also aware that my brain is an imperfect translator for the perfect, and that I'm just as subject to cultural prejudices, societal pressures, and other temporal and limited concerns as anyone else.  Still and all, I do my best to do right by other people, to practice compassion, to tolerate and welcome all that which does not infringe upon the rights or safety of others, and to attempt to understand the struggles of others to come to their own terms with the mysteries of existence.  That's largely my basis for what I define as good, and it's the best method that I have for expressing what I see as God's will.

In light of the above post and your post below...How is it you consider WHAT God's will is?  It seems to me that it may be a guess on your part unless there are parts of scripture (assuming you consider the Christian God, God... which you might clarify for me) or some other written work you base this "will" on?  How is God's will made known to you?

One more question on the above point you make.  If this be so, is there a limit to what this God ordains for you to do to yourself or does this ordaining include the whims of your [imperfect] mind?

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on February 23, 2012, 05:38:48 PMIt seems to me that it may be a guess on your part unless there are parts of scripture (assuming you consider the Christian God, God... which you might clarify for me) or some other written work you base this "will" on?  How is God's will made known to you?
I disagree, whether you refer to a guess by statichaos or a guess made by some dudes a long time ago, really makes no difference. Because asking how one knows is an equally valid question to the dudes that wrote it in the book a long time ago.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on February 23, 2012, 05:41:31 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on February 23, 2012, 05:38:48 PMIt seems to me that it may be a guess on your part unless there are parts of scripture (assuming you consider the Christian God, God... which you might clarify for me) or some other written work you base this "will" on?  How is God's will made known to you?
I disagree, whether you refer to a guess by statichaos or a guess made by some dudes a long time ago, really makes no difference. Because asking how one knows is an equally valid question to the dudes that wrote it in the book a long time ago.

I can see your point, given your stance, however at least one can know a person's point of reference like how I'm a Christian so *you would know I base lots of my belief on the bibilical texts and therefore *you can refer to these texts to know more of my position or question my position based on the texts. 

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on February 23, 2012, 05:45:14 PMI can see your point, given your stance, however at least one can know a person's point of reference like how I'm a Christian so *you would know I base lots of my belief on the bibilical texts and therefore *you can refer to these texts to know more of my position or question my position based on the texts.
Aye, it's just a guess either way.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

statichaos

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on February 23, 2012, 05:38:48 PM
Quote from: statichaos on February 22, 2012, 06:25:44 PM
Paul's scriptures don't apply in my specific case, as I'm not a Christian.  I also don't consider myself to be either weak or credulous, though I suppose that I could be wrong.

Along the lines of the "I don't believe in morality/ethics" thread, I find all moral values and ethical systems to be subjective.  Personally (and all jokes aside), while I attempt to go along with what I consider to be God's will, I'm also aware that my brain is an imperfect translator for the perfect, and that I'm just as subject to cultural prejudices, societal pressures, and other temporal and limited concerns as anyone else.  Still and all, I do my best to do right by other people, to practice compassion, to tolerate and welcome all that which does not infringe upon the rights or safety of others, and to attempt to understand the struggles of others to come to their own terms with the mysteries of existence.  That's largely my basis for what I define as good, and it's the best method that I have for expressing what I see as God's will.

In light of the above post and your post below...How is it you consider WHAT God's will is?  It seems to me that it may be a guess on your part unless there are parts of scripture (assuming you consider the Christian God, God... which you might clarify for me) or some other written work you base this "will" on?  How is God's will made known to you?

I have no issue with the idea that my body belongs to God.  This also means that my brain belongs to God, which means that my thoughts are produced by God, which in turn means that anything that I do to my body is ordained as good by God.

One more question on the above point you make.  If this be so, is there a limit to what this God ordains for you to do to yourself or does this ordaining include the whims of your [imperfect] mind?

It may indeed be a guess.  I have had my experiences with the divine, ones that I find it difficult to express in words.  I am convinced of God's existence, though I have no interest in attempting to convince anyone else of his existence, and find such attempts to be well-meaning if tacky at best, and downright deadly at worst.  All that I can do is live up to what makes reasonable and intuitive sense in the face of such revelation, and to try to be the kind of person I want to see myself as.  I fall short of this mark quite regularly, but I continue in the attempt.  I have no specific scriptures to rely on, though I do find inspiration in the attempts of others to express the mysteries of life and existence.

If I'm mistaken, I'll find out eventually or I won't.  In the meantime, there are worse ways to live one's life.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: statichaos on February 23, 2012, 06:00:25 PM
It may indeed be a guess.  I have had my experiences with the divine, ones that I find it difficult to express in words.  I am convinced of God's existence, though I have no interest in attempting to convince anyone else of his existence, and find such attempts to be well-meaning if tacky at best, and downright deadly at worst.  All that I can do is live up to what makes reasonable and intuitive sense in the face of such revelation, and to try to be the kind of person I want to see myself as.  I fall short of this mark quite regularly, but I continue in the attempt.  I have no specific scriptures to rely on, though I do find inspiration in the attempts of others to express the mysteries of life and existence.

If I'm mistaken, I'll find out eventually or I won't.  In the meantime, there are worse ways to live one's life.

True.  I did not intend to make your way better or worse.  Simply wondered if there was a basis other than simply personal experience (which I believe is a strong reason) and/or your own idea of "God".  Thanks for your answer.  It helps.