News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Your body does not belong to you, but to God

Started by pytheas, January 25, 2012, 08:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: statichaos on February 22, 2012, 06:25:44 PM
That's largely my basis for what I define as good, and it's the best method that I have for expressing what I see as God's will.
How do you know what god's will is?
What makes you think god wants you to be good?

Could god simply be using people for pure entertainment, or as an experiment to see how quickly we develop certain technologies, or maybe as an experiment to see if people could cast away belief in gods if gods ignored us for all of our existence. Why the focus on good? How do you even know what god would consider to be good?

statichaos

Quote from: Stevil on February 23, 2012, 06:34:45 PM

How do you know what god's will is?

I don't know for sure.  I'm simply interpreting to the best of my ability, but I'm subject to the same misunderstandings, cultural biases, and so on as anyone else.

QuoteWhat makes you think god wants you to be good?

Same answer as above.

QuoteCould god simply be using people for pure entertainment, or as an experiment to see how quickly we develop certain technologies, or maybe as an experiment to see if people could cast away belief in gods if gods ignored us for all of our existence.

Possible.  If so, it's irrelevant to me, since I like to think that I'd be good even without the personal revelation.

QuoteWhy the focus on good? How do you even know what god would consider to be good?

Personal revelation again.  And, no, I can't really describe it.  If I were trying to convince you, I wouldn't have an argument at hand.  All that I know is that I've experienced it, and I live my life by it to the best of my ability.

Stevil

Quote from: statichaos on February 23, 2012, 06:42:54 PM
QuoteCould god simply be using people for pure entertainment, or as an experiment to see how quickly we develop certain technologies, or maybe as an experiment to see if people could cast away belief in gods if gods ignored us for all of our existence.

Possible.  If so, it's irrelevant to me, since I like to think that I'd be good even without the personal revelation.
You are the first deist (hope you are comfortable with that label) that I have talked to.
It seems to me the god belief becomes largely irrelevant. That you would be who you are regardless if you believed that there was a god or not.

statichaos

Quote from: Stevil on February 23, 2012, 07:03:05 PM
Quote from: statichaos on February 23, 2012, 06:42:54 PM

You are the first deist (hope you are comfortable with that label) that I have talked to.
It seems to me the god belief becomes largely irrelevant. That you would be who you are regardless if you believed that there was a god or not.

Well, certainly, although I'm not a deist.  Panentheist comes closer, though I'm wary of a label of any sort, as any attempt to describe what God is almost inevitably ends up implying what God isn't.  "The Tao that can be described is not the Tao".

I don't consider my belief to be irrelevant, actually, as I feel that what I do and who I am (and who you are, and everything else in the universe) is part of a larger, greater design.  I'd still attempt to be moral and ethical for any number of cultural reasons in the absence of God (as I did when I was an atheist), since that has everything to do with being able to look at myself in the mirror in the morning.  I'm suspicious of people who claim that there is no morality or ethics without God, as I worry that if they changed their minds on the matter, then they'd suddenly start killing and raping people willy-nilly.

Stevil

Quote from: statichaos on February 23, 2012, 07:28:45 PM
I'm suspicious of people who claim that there is no morality or ethics without God, as I worry that if they changed their minds on the matter, then they'd suddenly start killing and raping people willy-nilly.
Lacking a belief in morals is similar to lacking a belief in gods.
A god unbeliever doesn't act untoward in society, there are statistics that show the are more law abiding than the believer.

A moral unbeliever doesn't act untoward in society, self preservation ensures they act reasonably.

statichaos

Quote from: Stevil on February 23, 2012, 07:38:04 PM
I'm suspicious of people who claim that there is no morality or ethics without God, as I worry that if they changed their minds on the matter, then they'd suddenly start killing and raping people willy-nilly.
A god unbeliever doesn't act untoward in society, there are statistics that show the are more law abiding than the believer.

A moral unbeliever doesn't act untoward in society, self preservation ensures they act reasonably.

I agree with you on this, although those aren't the only reasons for an unbeliever to act morally and ethically.

Belief is no guarantee in morals.  In fact, history shows that people are capable of all sorts of atrocities if they believe that they have God on their side.

Tank

Quote from: statichaos on February 23, 2012, 07:42:46 PM
Quote from: Stevil on February 23, 2012, 07:38:04 PM

I agree with you on this, although those aren't the only reasons for an unbeliever to act morally and ethically.

Belief is no guarantee in morals.  In fact, history shows that people are capable of all sorts of atrocities if they believe that they have God on their side.
I think history shows that people who think they are unquestionably right are capable off all sorts of atrocities, irrespective of their theistic view point. I suspect that Religions get such bad press in the atrocity stakes because bad people can invoke 'God's Will' just as effectively as good people. And if you can claim God is on your side then that's just one more reason you're right.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

I don't know what you're rambling on about.  I'm obviously the chosen one. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

statichaos

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 24, 2012, 05:32:51 AM

When you find that you've been anointed The Chosen One, remember to get specific details regarding exactly what it is that you've been chosen for.

pytheas

Quote from: statichaos on February 24, 2012, 04:47:29 PM

When you find that you've been anointed The Chosen One, remember to get specific details regarding exactly what it is that you've been chosen for.
better still, let me do the annointing with appropriate ointments that some consider spirits in plants

Static i didn't expect you believed really in any god in order to put a capital letter to the word.
I stand corrected

i can easily switch in accepting the greater grid/design or the lack thereof in the visions and revelations when I am entheogenically invited to partake in altered states of perception that scramble the ego's logic for a while.

but we all ought to grasp our breath back when sober we realise the paradoxal void of universal non sense.
painting and blowing our baloon of comfortable "understanding" with any extra imaginery impositions, i hate to point to the needle-pins of experience that pop the baloons
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

statichaos

Quote from: pytheas on February 26, 2012, 05:44:33 PM
Quote from: statichaos on February 24, 2012, 04:47:29 PM

better still, let me do the annointing with appropriate ointments that some consider spirits in plants

Static i didn't expect you believed really in any god in order to put a capital letter to the word.
I stand corrected

i can easily switch in accepting the greater grid/design or the lack thereof in the visions and revelations when I am entheogenically invited to partake in altered states of perception that scramble the ego's logic for a while.

but we all ought to grasp our breath back when sober we realise the paradoxal void of universal non sense.
painting and blowing our baloon of comfortable "understanding" with any extra imaginery impositions, i hate to point to the needle-pins of experience that pop the baloons

Actually, I was an atheist, and it was these needle pins of experience (drug free) that caused me to rethink my position.  However, I don't expect to convince anyone else of the rightness of my viewpoint, and am instead more interested in finding common ground.