News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Little Kids and Cussing on TV

Started by Sandra Craft, January 18, 2012, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 25, 2012, 10:45:56 PM
I seem to have been unwittingly dragged into an argument about whether or not swearing at all is bad. This was not my intention. The thrust of my original arguments were with respect to children - as in the title of the thread.
It is important that children learn effective methods of communication before allowing 'blunt' (and offensive to many) words to become their default communication tools. I will do what I can to ingrain more descriptive, detailed and specific words in my childrens vocabulary. And limiting exposure to profanity will minimise the chances of such displacing more informative words.

Valid or not, the perception of youngsters using profanity is predominantly negative. I do not say "only stupid people use profanity", I say "while it is seen as negative in society I will do what I can to ensure my children are not the subject of that negativity". You can make a stand against this prejudice if you see fit, I'd rather not involve my children.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing better than a good 'shit', or more cathartic than a well-aimed 'cunt'. It is the use of gratuitous profanity that has no value.

I will acknowledge that in some applications profanity may be interchangeable with less contentious words without losing specificity - particularly where the profanity IS the subject, object or verb (stepped in shit, the shit hit the fan, he fucked her...). It is when profanity is used as an adjective or qualifier that lacks concise communication (it's fucking rubbish, that's a shit car etc...).

I pretty much agree with what Scissorlegs has said.
An adult who swears continuously in front of their children may do so to instil some virtuous philosophical view of freedom.  Often it seems to me they just don't give a shit, I don't like that philosophy.

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean on January 24, 2012, 09:27:13 PM
You know, your avatar, it would benefit from replacing the red face with an Asmo. Maybe flip it 180 degrees too, to keep proper alignment.

The Asmo is invading avatars, you see. And a robot, that's just... Useful.  :D

Only if you can guess who the current face is...

EDIT: Pic added below of original Avatar:

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 26, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

It looks a bit like Patrick Stewart.
I hope not though, assimilating Loqutos didn't work out well for the Borg.

Siz

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 26, 2012, 02:36:24 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 26, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

It looks a bit like Patrick Stewart.
I hope not though, assimilating Loqutos didn't work out well for the Borg.

Scissorlegs not Borg. Scissorlegs admire Carbon Unit.

Congratulations, you get first assimilation... Your designation is 'Pud of Scissorlegs'

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

The Magic Pudding

Ah! My biological and technological distinctiveness has be added to Scissorlegs, without a distinctive hat!

Siz

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 27, 2012, 12:01:37 AM

Ah! My biological and technological distinctiveness has be added to Scissorlegs, without a distinctive hat!

Au contraire!  I thought the swimming-cap look was quite fetching.

Tank

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 27, 2012, 06:54:35 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 27, 2012, 12:01:37 AM

Au contraire!  I thought the swimming-cap look was quite fetching.
The Pudding in rubber!  :o
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Pudding started taking over avatars too! We should ally and begin full invasion. IMMEDIATELY!  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on January 27, 2012, 09:10:55 AM
Pudding started taking over avatars too! We should ally and begin full invasion. IMMEDIATELY!  ;D

I have been known to take over avatars in the past, their heads anyway.
That's zombie Tank under my wheelbarrow as I recall.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 27, 2012, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 27, 2012, 09:10:55 AM
Pudding started taking over avatars too! We should ally and begin full invasion. IMMEDIATELY!  ;D

I have been known to take over avatars in the past, their heads anyway.
That's zombie Tank under my wheelbarrow as I recall.

Yes, and the smugly scheming Asmo was right there to claim the headless bodies for his army of robozombies  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Oh dear. I hope statues can't be assimilated.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 27, 2012, 01:45:27 PM
Oh dear. I hope statues can't be assimilated.
Scissorlegs assimilate stone nul function.
Juliet of Scissorlegs abort

Sweetdeath

This has become a very borg like thread.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

It has, hasn't it?  :D And the Borg looks perfect for being ridden by a lance-armed Asmo.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean on January 27, 2012, 05:56:01 PM
It has, hasn't it?  :D And the Borg looks perfect for being ridden by a lance-armed Asmo.

Scissorlegs assimilation routine off-line.
Two rotations reinitialise.
Category 5 grumpy threat. Status: Caution.