News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

relationships with the.... "hardcore god worshippers&qu

Started by stephy, November 08, 2007, 03:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephy

I didn't know where else to stick this...
I had a friends, who i became quite close with until.... he told me about him finding God. And i was like oh ok thats really cool for u an all, but i dont beleive any of that myself. See i was totally respectful. And everything was fine until he started forcing his beliefs on me. By this time we were pretty much best friends. I had a bit of tradgy happen and he told me he was going to pray for me. I said yeah nice of u n all, but please dont. i told them that to me, he was going home gettin on his knees and talking to himself about it. and it scared me!! then i got the " why are u so uncomfortable with my faith? what are u scared of?"   and i was like ffs i'm not scared of anythin, except people talking to thin air about me!!! anyway it all went downhill and he started telling me that i was alone because god was punishing me for being promiscious. well promiscious to him meant beleivin in sex before marriage.
anyway what i'm gettin at is that we cant even be friends anymore, party due to my argumentative nature, and party due to him forcing his praying stuff on me. has anyone been able to maintain a healthy friendship or relationship with someone like this? cos otehrwise i'm doomed to finding only anti-christ friends like myself!!!!

McQ

Quote from: "stephy"I didn't know where else to stick this...
I had a friends, who i became quite close with until.... he told me about him finding God. And i was like oh ok thats really cool for u an all, but i dont beleive any of that myself. See i was totally respectful. And everything was fine until he started forcing his beliefs on me. By this time we were pretty much best friends. I had a bit of tradgy happen and he told me he was going to pray for me. I said yeah nice of u n all, but please dont. i told them that to me, he was going home gettin on his knees and talking to himself about it. and it scared me!! then i got the " why are u so uncomfortable with my faith? what are u scared of?"   and i was like ffs i'm not scared of anythin, except people talking to thin air about me!!! anyway it all went downhill and he started telling me that i was alone because god was punishing me for being promiscious. well promiscious to him meant beleivin in sex before marriage.
anyway what i'm gettin at is that we cant even be friends anymore, party due to my argumentative nature, and party due to him forcing his praying stuff on me. has anyone been able to maintain a healthy friendship or relationship with someone like this? cos otehrwise i'm doomed to finding only anti-christ friends like myself!!!!

This is not at all unusual, unfortunately. I have lost friends and alienated family because of my lack of belief in any gods, or supernatural. It always becomes a matter of them not having the tolerance to allow beliefs other than their own. Every time!

I am a very "live and let live" person. But you will find that certain religions just cannot tolerate anyone believing differently. And the weird part is that they cannot give a rational explanation for this.

Just continue to be true to yourself. People will like you or dislike you no matter if you are religious or not.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

stephy

thats always been my attitude. i am who i am and people can chose whether they spend time with me. but i know i have a mouth on me! and i can be quite hurtful because i'm so argumentative. i just hate being judged. especially seein as my friends was a huge hypercrit! i guess i'm just wondering if there is hope out there for me to actually be able to be friends with someone with beleifs, i would like to, because i could learn alot. but i would have to learn to keep my mouth shut i guess!!!

Whitney

My best friend is somewhat of a fundie Christian.  We get along because she knows it's not right to pick your friends based on what they believe or don't believe and I agree.  Sometimes she says something I don't think is quite right so I'll let her know my view and why I have it.

Like, the other day she said something about we shouldn't allow gay marriage because that opens the door to polygamy.  My response was...so what?  It's not like anyone would be forcing you to have multiple husbands or share a husband with multiple wives.  Then I pointed out that since American is multicultural we have to accept that people of differing cultures will have different views of morality.  I guess I made a lot of sense because she said I had a good point and that she agreed.

Anyway, that's how I'm able to be friends with someone who has pretty much the opposite view towards religion as me.....we don't talk about it and if we do it's more indirectly...as in the case above of her religion (more likely religion plus her upbrining) affecting how she thought laws should be made.  I also don't remind her that I don't believe in a god every time she says something about God....I don't see much point in doing that.

Bella

I'm not friends with any crazy religious people. I just can't do it. You have to be at least somewhat similar to someone to be their friend, I think.

matty.the.damned

I have some friends who have prescription strength religious beliefs, but they know to STFU about that crap around me.

It's a case of "if you don't tell me about your personal saviour, I won't tell you about my personal yeast infection."

MtD
Religion controls the weak, stupid and criminal minded in ways that threats of community service and prison cannot. - The Misanthropic Bitch

BleedingOrchid

I have friends who are Xtian, but most of them are "spiritual" don't constantly spout the bible.
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins