News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

More interesting stuff from Texas

Started by Sandra Craft, November 01, 2011, 03:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/crockett-keller-texas-gun-liberals-muslims_n_1064184.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C109041

A Texas firearms instructor is refusing to teach anyone who voted for Obama or is a Muslim on the grounds that they obviously can't make prudent decisions.  The comments are pretty well divided between "he can teach whom he wants" and "he's got a legal obligation to teach any applicant", and I was curious what you all think.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Stevil

If he is providing a service to the public he is bound to be held accountable to any anti discrimination laws.

Tank

Perfect marketing opportunity. Start a business teaching firearm practice called 'protect yourself from Republicans and other nutters!'
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Whitney

I think in Texas you have the right to refuse any customer for any reason.  I think equal opportunity laws only apply to employment (and even in texas that's iffy), public schools, and fair housing.

If, for instance, the KKK approached me about building a house I could tell them to get lost.  If this fire arms guy feels similarly about working with Obama supporters and Muslims then he shouldn't have to provide services.  It's not like he's teaching gun 101 at the local high school.

xSilverPhinx

He just isn't very likeable, that's all.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Whitney on November 01, 2011, 01:01:50 PM
I think in Texas you have the right to refuse any customer for any reason.  I think equal opportunity laws only apply to employment (and even in texas that's iffy), public schools, and fair housing.

If, for instance, the KKK approached me about building a house I could tell them to get lost.  If this fire arms guy feels similarly about working with Obama supporters and Muslims then he shouldn't have to provide services.  It's not like he's teaching gun 101 at the local high school.

Texas is a big state (it's really a country, with 25 million people) and you are going to have all kinds. The media likes to make it sound like everyone is crazy, but if you live here, it's just fine (except that this year we got no rain and horrible heat).  So if this guy doesn't want to deal with certain people, that's his prerogative.  We value individual liberty here, and that means you are going to have some nutters. 

Whitney

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Whitney on November 02, 2011, 03:12:17 AM
um...I do live "here" (texas)

Yes, I was using your quote as a platform to hold forth generally on Texas.  Sorry, once again I confused things. I'm aware you live in TX.

Whitney

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 02, 2011, 03:24:58 AM
Quote from: Whitney on November 02, 2011, 03:12:17 AM
um...I do live "here" (texas)

Yes, I was using your quote as a platform to hold forth generally on Texas.  Sorry, once again I confused things. I'm aware you live in TX.

It's easy to confuse me when I've been working all day...just got done about 30 min ago.

Stevil

Quote from: Whitney on November 01, 2011, 01:01:50 PM
I think equal opportunity laws only apply to employment (and even in texas that's iffy), public schools, and fair housing.
I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure if you run a business and are open about discriminating against customers then you will be done under the law.
Try and start up a Whites only golf club, or a Whites only pub, or a heterosexuals only bed and breakfast, tell a customer that you won't sell alcohol to them because they are Black and you believe Blacks and Alcohol isn't a good mix.

Whitney

Quote from: Stevil on November 02, 2011, 04:59:03 AM
I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure if you run a business and are open about discriminating against customers then you will be done under the law.

I just read through a few things online...that law appears to only apply to businesses which provide a public space; such as bars, taxis, hotels and restaurants.

Quotethe Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination and guarantees all persons the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the grounds of race, color, religion or national origin."
http://www.lifescript.com/soul/self/well-being/the_right_to_refuse_service_or_discrimination.aspx

So, yes I was partially wrong...but unless there is some other act I'm not aware of this means someone who provides services that do not require offering a public space would not be subject to the act.  Which would mean this guy may be legally in the right (don't know what kind of business setup he has).  I can also think of various loophole excuses someone could use since offering services requires personal participation and investment in the work that is above and beyond just handing someone some food.