News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Greetings from a newbie

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, October 05, 2011, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Hello - I'm Ecurb Noselrub from Texas, the land of perpetual wildfires.  The wildfires started last fall, about the time we elected Rick Perry as governor for the 1,000th time. This proves the existence of God - he is punishing us for electing this man.

I am a Christian, a lawyer, and a minister at a small church. Most of the atheists I've met on various atheist sites seem to be decent people, and I have no problem with them.  I won't be posting much, and won't be preaching at all. But if I have something relevant to say about a topic, I'll chime in. Cheers.

Dennis Campbell

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

As long as you don't preach (to clarify: meaning wanting to convert others without even trying to substantiate your claims, which would make it different from trying to defend one's beliefs), there won't be a problem here.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Ecurb Noselrub. I have heard in various places (including I think, here) that people in Texas encouraged Perry to run in the hope that he will get elected and then leave Texas, but barring that, at least while running he won't be spending as much time in Texas, so Texans win either way.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Hi Ecurb and Dennis

Welcome to HAF. It is my experience that one derives benefit from a forum in proportion to the effort one puts into it  ;D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KingPhilip

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 05, 2011, 12:06:12 AMThis proves the existence of God - he is punishing us for electing this man.

I personally elect you Theist Of The Day. I can't stand Mr. Perry.

Welcome to the forum, and feel free to chime in all you like.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 05, 2011, 04:03:21 AM
Welcome!

As long as you don't preach (to clarify: meaning wanting to convert others without even trying to substantiate your claims, which would make it different from trying to defend one's beliefs), there won't be a problem here.

No desire to preach per your definition. Just like to discuss things that interest me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2011, 04:08:02 AM
Hello and welcome to HAF, Ecurb Noselrub. I have heard in various places (including I think, here) that people in Texas encouraged Perry to run in the hope that he will get elected and then leave Texas, but barring that, at least while running he won't be spending as much time in Texas, so Texans win either way.

There's probably some truth to that.  It would be best for everyone if he would 1) not win the presidency, and 2) retire to his ranch.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2011, 09:55:14 AM
Hi Ecurb and Dennis

Welcome to HAF. It is my experience that one derives benefit from a forum in proportion to the effort one puts into it  ;D

Regards
Chris

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to participating.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: KingPhilip on October 05, 2011, 07:16:52 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 05, 2011, 12:06:12 AMThis proves the existence of God - he is punishing us for electing this man.

The more you get to know him, the less you want to know him.

Ecurb Noselrub

Ecurb Noselrub

Dennis and I know each other from the Sam Harris forum and Project Reason (also Sam Harris).  I posted there for about 4 1/2 years, but it got a little dysfunctional (as much my fault as that of others), so I decided to move on.  I like the civil tone here.  Hope I don't disrupt it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Here's a little bio on me: I've lived most of my 59 years in Texas.  I did live 4 1/2 years in Europe when I was in my 20's (England, Wales, France, Italy, Yugoslavia).  I'm married, with three children and three grandchildren.  I've been in all 254 counties of Texas, 40 of the states in the US, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, several Caribbean islands, all over Europe and India, briefly in Thailand and Japan.  I got my Bachelor's from Mary Hardin-Baylor University, my law degree (J.D.) from Baylor, and my master of divinity (M.Div.) from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.  I'm currently an Associate General Counsel for a large health care system in Central Texas, and pastor of a small congregation in my hometown. I play the acoustic guitar, electric bass, and mandolin.  I speak passable Spanish, and can read Italian and Greek (the latter from seminary studies).  I like to travel, exercise, read, and spend time with my grand kids.

Favorite meat is fish (Chilean Sea Bass, Red Snapper, Salmon on top of the list).  Favorite wine is a good Cabernet.  Favorite beer is Lagunitas IPA. Favorite liquor is Courvoisier Cognac.  Favorite dessert is ice cream (Blue Bell is a Texas favorite, although Cherry Garcia from Ben & Jerry tops the list).  I'm addicted to coffee - good coffee.  This past summer my wife and I took a 3500 mile road trip, eating and drinking our way through the Southeast US (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina).  They really know how to cook down there!

xSilverPhinx

QuoteNo desire to preach per your definition. Just like to discuss things that interest me.

Fair enough. What most here will immediately dismiss as preaching is usually when theists mostly start trying to either

1) threaten us with hell
2) use the bible (or any other scripture) as proof of Christianity (or any other scripturally-based theistic religion) without trying to substantiate the bible in the real world, based on scientific evidence

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 06, 2011, 01:58:28 AM
Quote from: KingPhilip on October 05, 2011, 07:16:52 PM

The more you get to know him, the less you want to know him.

I've never been more aware of the truthfulness of the statement 'familiarity breeds contempt' before these past few years.

QuoteI did live 4 1/2 years in Europe when I was in my 20's (England, Wales, France, Italy, Yugoslavia).

Interesting life, why did you travel so much? I've also spent many years going all over the place, but unfortunately it's come to a halt now, in the deep Brazilian south, which isn't nearly as pleasant.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 06, 2011, 02:09:56 AM
Quote from: Dennis Campbell on October 05, 2011, 12:38:17 AM
Copy Bruce

Hi Dennis. Nice to see you again.
I though there was something fishy with you two arriving so close together  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.