News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Evolution the myth

Started by Happy Forever, September 26, 2011, 11:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Interestingly HF was online and reading this thread yesterday (I keep an eye on who's online to catch spammers before they get to register) and she didn't respond :(
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Guardian85

Maybe she finally gave up? Or saw the light, so to speak.

Anyhow. Just read through this thread for the first time, and now I have a headache.  :(

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

wildfire_emissary

Read this thread. Had a headache.
You can't explain that.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Davin

The biggest problem with the discussion with Happy Forever, is that HF would not allow anyone to find any kind of common ground in which to start a useful conversation. Many poeple tried many times to find some kind of base to work from and each time HF backed away and moved the goal posts (the word "organism" as brought up by Tank is a good example). This kind of behavior leads me to assume that HF is not interested in dicussion, just preaching.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Stevil

Quote from: wildfire_emissary on October 12, 2011, 03:52:45 PM
Read this thread. Had a headache.
You can't explain that.
Headaches come, headaches go. But what has it got to do with toast?
Please stop derailing.

Tank

HF was last online on the 14th Oct :(

Heisenberg

Kudos to everyone in this thread, save for the OP. You guys showed a lot more patience toward someone who wanted nothing more than to preach than I would have. I've seen people make this argument many times before, though I'd have to say this is the first person who claimed to believe in science and logic, while showing such a remarkable lack of understanding for either.
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon

Tank

Quote from: Heisenberg on October 23, 2011, 12:25:03 AM
Kudos to everyone in this thread, save for the OP. You guys showed a lot more patience toward someone who wanted nothing more than to preach than I would have. I've seen people make this argument many times before, though I'd have to say this is the first person who claimed to believe in science and logic, while showing such a remarkable lack of understanding for either.
There are many, many people like that and the vast majority (that I have experienced) are Muslims. I get the impression that the power attributed to language is far higher in the arabic world than in the latin world. Thus if something is said correctly it carries it's own intrinsic authority. Very odd to western eyes where language has a more utiliterian/pragmatic use.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on October 23, 2011, 01:51:42 AM
Quote from: Heisenberg on October 23, 2011, 12:25:03 AM
There are many, many people like that and the vast majority (that I have experienced) are Muslims. I get the impression that the power attributed to language is far higher in the arabic world than in the latin world. Thus if something is said correctly it carries it's own intrinsic authority. Very odd to western eyes where language has a more utiliterian/pragmatic use.

I've never really thought about it that way before, but this makes a lot of sense to me.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: Happy Forever on October 10, 2011, 09:35:04 PM
I debated an evolutionist asking him, why do you have eyes? He said "because we evolve through billions of years.
I said "then if you want to fly, will you?! He said "Yes, but after billions of years of course".
It isn't about what you want, but what benefits your specie.

If evolving our arms into rudimentary wings eventually capable of flight was beneficial for humans, we would probably have evolved such - or been on our way to.

QuoteThe same is here, I ask you why you have eyes, you said "in order to see".
Why environment obeys your desire (survival) to see? Why
For your asncestors, having some light-sensitive cells was better than not having those. Then grouping those cells on their forward end made more sense than not. Slight curvature was better than a flat cell surface and you got cup eyes. Eventually, a lens was better than no lens and in the end, you have the eyes you have. (I have skipped a few steps out of laziness and having explained it to quite frankly mindless theists who are not interesting in even considering the explanation before with little to no result) It's not your desire to see that is central to sight, just survival of the best adapted and eyes are a nice and sensible feature to evolve and keep in lit habitats.

QuoteIf nature can selects (this is impossible because nature is rules and rules are mindless), why nature is merciful to work according to your own desire?
What utter bullshit...

It isn't and it doesn't. Life is a race between hunter and hunted, a race for food, reproduction, best habitat and so on. Life evolves because nature, in its mindlessness, is quite ruthless - not merciful.

QuoteWhy trees provides you delicious fruits?
Because you evolved to like fruit and the trees evolved fruit to be liked by the animals for the purpose of spreading their seeds. Are you now going to say that beause trees are mindless and don't have desires, they could not have evolved anything..?  ::)

QuoteBecause you desire to eat it in that way?
In part, actually, yes. Your desire to eat things that taste certain ways provide benefit to plants producing such.

QuoteWhy the sun sets?
It doesn't, really. The Earth rotates.

QuoteTo let you sleep at night?
Try far north, if you even believe such a place exists, in the summer. There, the sun doesn't.

QuoteWhy do you have ears?
For the same reason you have eyes, are sensitive to touch and smells.

QuoteBecause natural selects and environment felt your desire through its antenna??
Of course not. It doesn't have an antenna and I've already explained why. In a competitive environment, having ears is better than not having them in a habitat where predators, among other things, are an issue.

QuoteIf you desire then died and your son desires then died,,,, through billions of years of desires, you can fly?
Repeating yourself does not give your pointless prattle any more weight.

QuoteEvolution the myth
No. Your education is, you troll, you.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on October 23, 2011, 09:09:26 AM
Quote from: HFEvolution the myth
I don't think she was a troll, primarily because she stopped posting at the hight of our exasperation with her while we were effectivly answering her posts. That isn't very troll like behaviour, they tend to like getting banned and will push their luck up to, and eventually over, the edge.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on October 23, 2011, 10:10:53 AM
I don't think she was a troll, primarily because she stopped posting at the hight of our exasperation with her while we were effectivly answering her posts. That isn't very troll like behaviour, they tend to like getting banned and will push their luck up to, and eventually over, the edge.
Accusation withdrawn.

As stated, I woke up on the wron side of the coffin today. Coffee might help.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on October 23, 2011, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 23, 2011, 10:10:53 AM
Accusation withdrawn.

As stated, I woke up on the wron side of the coffin today. Coffee might help.
I suspected Lumpy had got up extra Grumpy  ;D

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on October 23, 2011, 10:28:53 AM
I suspected Lumpy had got up extra Grumpy  ;D
Trying some cheery music and coffee deserving of a "Corrosive" label to see if that works
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.