Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

All things photography.
Photos you took.
Photos you are in.
Photos you like.
Photos that tell a story.

Photography is my hobby and I got my first proper camera in '77. One of my daughters became a professional photographer (proud dad smily required).

If you need help adding photographs to your posts then there is a post about it here How to add an image to your posts.

For technical photographic questions see Photography technical questions.

A little green bug.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

I'm am not hobbyist, just a casual holiday snapper. Unfortunately some of my best pix were from before I bought my DSLR
Here is a place in South Island NZ

Tank

Lovely shot. Was that a scan from film? You can pick up a reasonable scanner now for £60 in the UK.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

This was a very cooperative Robin at the Eden Project in Cornwall

Stevil

This is quickly becoming my favourite thread.
If your question was directed at my pic, I didn't scan it, used a digital camera, but just an in your pocket automatic, no special lenses with great Apature for infocus/out of focus shots.

Willow

Me at 19 years old.  It's not art, but I like it.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on June 07, 2011, 08:48:45 PM
If your question was directed at my pic, I didn't scan it, used a digital camera, but just an in your pocket automatic, no special lenses with great Apature for infocus/out of focus shots.
It's a lovely shot nonetheless. There is a tiny weeny little tech issue as it was a point-and-shoot but it would have happened with any camera of that type, and older film cameras too.

Tank

Quote from: Willow on June 07, 2011, 09:01:44 PM
Me at 19 years old.  It's not art, but I like it.

Very Victorian vamp!

Tank

I took this one of my son when he was about 11. He didn't pose for it I just came over a dune at Spurn Point and caught him contemplating the sea.

McQ

Very nice. I like these photos. That butterfly is quite amazing looking!

Found one I like. There's a river near me where Bald Eagles gather in decent numbers in Autumn.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on June 07, 2011, 09:08:54 PM
It's a lovely shot nonetheless. There is a tiny weeny little tech issue as it was a point-and-shoot but it would have happened with any camera of that type, and older film cameras too.
Could you elaborate please, I'm keen to learn more about photography. This stuff is kind of like grammar, if you don't know what to watch out for then you keep making the mistakes.

Recusant

Some really nice images here already!

From a visit to the Scottish Highlands.  This is is Loch Cluanie, shot from just off of the A87, if I recall correctly.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

I suppose I'll start with the obvious, roos stubbornly refuse to pose in good light, in my backyard anyway.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on June 08, 2011, 01:43:44 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 07, 2011, 09:08:54 PM
Could you elaborate please, I'm keen to learn more about photography. This stuff is kind of like grammar, if you don't know what to watch out for then you keep making the mistakes.

In simple terms the snow on the tops of the mountain is over exposed (burned out) there is no detail it is just a bland white area. Because the snow forms such a small area in the image and it is so far away from the average image brightness the camera has set the exposure for the majority of the scene, it can do nothing else. However an experienced 'tog' (photographer) will view a scenes highlights and lowlights and adjust the exposure to get the best image possible. What the best image is is down to the togs choice of what they are trying to achieve.

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on June 08, 2011, 07:32:00 AM
In simple terms the snow on the tops of the mountain is over exposed (burned out) there is no detail it is just a bland white area. Because the snow forms such a small area in the image and it is so far away from the average image brightness the camera has set the exposure for the majority of the scene, it can do nothing else. However an experienced 'tog' (photographer) will view a scenes highlights and lowlights and adjust the exposure to get the best image possible. What the best image is is down to the togs choice of what they are trying to achieve.
I'm thinking of buying a neutral density filter, one where you can hold it over the top half and darken the sky a bit in landscape views. Do you think they are a good buy?