News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 22, 2011, 06:49:48 PM
I live in an apartment building and one of our neighbour's smoke alarm goes off at least 4-7 times a day. Every day. What the hell are they doing over there?!

These guys lit their unit on fire today and we all had to go out in our jammies while the firetrucks showed up. I think I'd like to add that to my list, as well :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

j.woodard24

Open doors. All of them. It's just nuts. A couple of years back it bordered on neurosis.
Some shameless self promotion - An Atheist Amnesiac: http://www.youtube.com/user/24arimar.

Cecilie

Quote from: Tank on September 30, 2011, 09:58:42 AM
Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 30, 2011, 12:57:43 AM
Quote from: Ihateyoumike on September 29, 2011, 05:07:35 PM
Although this seems to be the "which browser is best?" thread, I'm gonna go ahead and give another non-religious pet peeve of mine: Side-seat drivers.
When I'm driving and someone's all up in my earpiece telling me how fast to go, where to turn, what obstacles to avoid, and the like, it drives me absolutely crazy. I've been driving long enough, so just shut your face and let me drive, or get the hell out of my car!

Just pictured Hyacinth from keeping up appearances "Mind the pedestrians, Richard". lol
I love that show.
It's a classic!
Oh, I remember that show! They used to send it here. Hyacinth Bucket... sorry, Bouquet!
The world's what you create.

Buddy

Americans who think that everybody in the world should know everything about America.  ::) I remember some kid insulted me because I couldn't name all of the states. As revenge I asked him what the Nordic countries were. Would that be an eye for an eye?  :P
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Davin

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 08, 2011, 02:33:51 PM
Americans who think that everybody in the world should know everything about America.  ::) I remember some kid insulted me because I couldn't name all of the states. As revenge I asked him what the Nordic countries were. Would that be an eye for an eye?  :P
Most Americans don't know much about America... I wouldn't worry about it. Which is one of my pet peeves: People that keep repeating faulty information without vetting it. Happens a lot here in 'Merka.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Buddy

Quote from: Davin on November 08, 2011, 03:55:09 PM
Most Americans don't know much about America... I wouldn't worry about it. Which is one of my pet peeves: People that keep repeating faulty information without vetting it. Happens a lot here in 'Merka.

The one thing that got me going was that he said, and I'm quoting this exactly, "Well, Sweden is a small, unimportant country compared to America, so you should know more about it."   The only thin I can say is that I'm glad I have self control. I just shook my head and walked away.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Davin

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 08, 2011, 05:29:45 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 08, 2011, 03:55:09 PM

The one thing that got me going was that he said, and I'm quoting this exactly, "Well, Sweden is a small, unimportant country compared to America, so you should know more about it."   The only thin I can say is that I'm glad I have self control. I just shook my head and walked away.
Good move, unless you're one those people that like long, drawn out, inane dicsussions that despite all the words exchanged, proceeds at a snail's pace.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Jay

My pet peeves include bias in the media, police brutality, racism or any intolerance to a person's way of life.

Jojo77

long fingernails or toenails.

At a fourway stop and you KNOW it is your turn next but someone else goes first.

Tailgators with EXTREEMLY BRIGHT lights.

People who seem to have no clue about personal space and it only gives you a higher meaning to body odor, bad breath, etc...lol I now am a paranoid breathaholic...always have mints or gum...and am a perfumeaholic...always spraying a refresher of body spray...lol now everyone knows how weird I am...lmao

~Enjoy this moment, it may be your last. ~

Tank

Quote from: Jojo77 on November 09, 2011, 05:47:33 AM
long fingernails or toenails.
Not fussed about these.

At a fourway stop and you KNOW it is your turn next but someone else goes first.
I agree! WTF is it all about? In the UK (where I live) there is no such thing as a fourway stop. There would be a main carriageway and two Give Way junctions (Yield in US I think), traffic lights or a roundabout. The nearest we come to the problem would be at a mini-roundabout and four cars roll up simutainiously. Then one person would take the initiative and things would sort themselves out. Driving in Illinois I could never fathom why you'd get a four way stop in the middle of bloody nowhere! FFS at least make one route the priority FFS. Mini-rant over.

Tailgators with EXTREEMLY BRIGHT lights.
I just take my foot off the accelerator until they get the message  >:(

People who seem to have no clue about personal space and it only gives you a higher meaning to body odor, bad breath, etc...lol I now am a paranoid breathaholic...always have mints or gum...and am a perfumeaholic...always spraying a refresher of body spray...lol now everyone knows how weird I am...lmao
Never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever ever travel on the Paris underground system!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Jojo77

Tank your responses gave me a chuckle...thanks for the laugh  ;D
~Enjoy this moment, it may be your last. ~

OldGit

Quote from: TankNever, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever ever travel on the Paris underground system!
I second that; very good advice.  Although I would add that it's not quite as bad as travelling in Paris above ground.  The Metro is merely objectionable, surface travel is life-threatening.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on November 09, 2011, 07:38:11 AM
I agree! WTF is it all about? In the UK (where I live) there is no such thing as a fourway stop. There would be a main carriageway and two Give Way junctions (Yield in US I think), traffic lights or a roundabout. The nearest we come to the problem would be at a mini-roundabout and four cars roll up simutainiously. Then one person would take the initiative and things would sort themselves out. Driving in Illinois I could never fathom why you'd get a four way stop in the middle of bloody nowhere! FFS at least make one route the priority FFS. Mini-rant over.

Four-way stops teach self-organization, democracy, justice, fair play, and directions. Since no one reads in schools in the USA, it's the primary teaching tool that we have, especially in the South.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: fester30 on February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM
What are your pet peeve talking points that do not involve religion?  

Nose hairs.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 09, 2011, 09:25:30 PM
Quote from: fester30 on February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM
What are your pet peeve talking points that do not involve religion?  

Nose hairs.
What your own or others? Personally I'm fed up with hair migration as I get older!  >:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.