Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Medusa on August 10, 2011, 05:17:11 AM
Quote from: MiiriChan on August 09, 2011, 07:35:15 PM
People that chew with their mouth open and talk with a mouth full of food.  It just irks me to no end to see people do that!
I work in a very Asian city. Apparently it's in their culture to 'smack' their mouths when eating to show they like it. And when they don't like the food they won't do anything. It bugs me to no end when I take my break in the back room. And it's just me and Jimmy and he's just smack smack smacking away!

That's hilarious.  He must be wondering why you don't. Asians from which parts? I know that at least the group of Northern Hindu Indians don't do that culturally.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Medusa

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 10, 2011, 06:20:00 PM
Quote from: Medusa on August 10, 2011, 05:17:11 AM
Quote from: MiiriChan on August 09, 2011, 07:35:15 PM
People that chew with their mouth open and talk with a mouth full of food.  It just irks me to no end to see people do that!
I work in a very Asian city. Apparently it's in their culture to 'smack' their mouths when eating to show they like it. And when they don't like the food they won't do anything. It bugs me to no end when I take my break in the back room. And it's just me and Jimmy and he's just smack smack smacking away!

That's hilarious.  He must be wondering why you don't. Asians from which parts? I know that at least the group of Northern Hindu Indians don't do that culturally.
I believe he is Chinese while the other one who does it is Vietnamese.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Gawen

I just got back from taking someone to the airport. This trip made it about a 100 mile round trip...that's a little over 160 kilometers. Along the way and back I counted 3 people with their blinkers on for no reason. I lost count of the people who didn't use blinkers at all. And three people that made lane changes without blinkers and two of them cut across three lanes (in front of me) to make a exit.

Also along the way I noticed many green lawns and two or three sprinklers going. And I live in a place where we have extreme drought conditions. It hasn't rained where I live since May. We've had 41 days of 100 degree plus heat. We're supposed to have an average rainfall by this time of 13 inches. We've got 6. The entire Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma ecosystems are suffering and people are watering their lawns.

Those are my pet peeves for today.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Munchkin Goddess

Quote from: Willow on May 31, 2011, 09:33:00 PM
Teachers who think they don't need to reference their work or support their argument because they're the teachers.

I haven't read all the posts, but one better is when professors use their own book to teach the lessons and no one else's. I wish they would stop stroking their own egos....

Whitney

Quote from: Munchkin Goddess on August 11, 2011, 09:43:26 PM

I haven't read all the posts, but one better is when professors use their own book to teach the lessons and no one else's. I wish they would stop stroking their own egos....

That never bothered me...but I also never saw a teacher do that in a generic class; only in classes where their book may be the only resource for the subject matter.  For instance, my professors had to get together and develop a special book for intro to architecture because one didn't exist.  And another professor wrote a book on architectural ethics which he used as part of an architecture philosophy class.

Munchkin Goddess

Quote from: Whitney on August 11, 2011, 10:34:12 PM
Quote from: Munchkin Goddess on August 11, 2011, 09:43:26 PM

That never bothered me...but I also never saw a teacher do that in a generic class; only in classes where their book may be the only resource for the subject matter.  For instance, my professors had to get together and develop a special book for intro to architecture because one didn't exist.  And another professor wrote a book on architectural ethics which he used as part of an architecture philosophy class.

Well it's different if the book didn't exist; however, I had a professor who was teaching a religion class and she solely taught about the catholic religion when it was suppose to be an intro to religion in general. So, of course, as the only atheist in the class, I questioned everything to the point that she stop calling me when I raised my hand. She also ignored a few questions here or there, I enjoyed it because my classmates realized what was happening as well. :-)

OldGit

In my day at Oxford there was a school of thought which advocated ignoring all lectures entirely, because if the lecturer was any good you could get his ideas quicker from his books and if he had no books published, he wasn't worth bothering with.
I didn't take that view; lectures were an excellent chance to meet girls.

Munchkin Goddess

Quote from: OldGit on August 12, 2011, 10:28:03 AM
In my day at Oxford there was a school of thought which advocated ignoring all lectures entirely, because if the lecturer was any good you could get his ideas quicker from his books and if he had no books published, he wasn't worth bothering with.
I actually learn from more discussions with the lecturer than reading any book, and it helps me remember more.
Quote from: OldGit on August 12, 2011, 10:28:03 AM
I didn't take that view; lectures were an excellent chance to meet girls.
XD I agree!

Buddhasansocie

It bothers me that people get angry about other driver when they are in the passenger seat. If I can handle that someone is going 45 in a 55 and still sing along to the radio then so should you.

Chronos

I probably have many, but right now the one that stands out in my mind is spelling. I'm not perfect, but I strive to spell correctly. I often see people make spelling mistakes, and worse when they repeatedly misspell the same word, like "definately".

Edit: I can't believe I forgot my biggest peet peeve ...  litter. Specifically, the people who throw their trash out their car windows because they can't be bothered to throw it into a trash can at home or at a gas station. And, people who can't be bothered to properly bag/can their trash at home and it ends up blowing all down the street.

Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501c3 tax-free status.

xSilverPhinx

People who assume that I'm in the buisness of telling them what to do and think. Do and think whatever you like, but if it's a crime, you'll be treated as a criminal.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Joggers and bike riders who assume that I have eyes in the back of my head when I'm out walking my dogs. All joggers and bike riders should be legally required to wear little jingle bells so one can hear them coming up behind one!  >:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

My peeve are people who stand waaaay too close to you in a line to check  out.   I usually jab my elbow back or take a big step back to step on their foot.

PERSONAL  SPACE T_T
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

I live in an apartment building and one of our neighbour's smoke alarm goes off at least 4-7 times a day. Every day. What the hell are they doing over there?!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.