News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Futile Arguments Thread

Started by ChristianWarrior, December 22, 2010, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristianWarrior

So many people on here in different threads have said believing in God is stupid and nonfactual. My question to you is how is not believing in a God factual? You can't prove that God didn't exist can you? I'm not saying I can prove that he does exist. Practice what you preach atheists. Goodbye.

admin edit: changed title

Velma

Quote from: "ChristianWarrior"So many people on here in different threads have said believing in God is stupid and nonfactual. My question to you is how is not believing in a God factual? You can't prove that God didn't exist can you? I'm not saying I can prove that he does exist. Practice what you preach atheists. Goodbye.
Everyone who didn't see this coming, raise your hands.  Hmmmm.....no hands.

You are the one making the affirmative claim, the burden of proof is on you.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Whitney

I find it ironic that you just got done saying you weren't here to convert anyone or preach and then you post something like this in such a snippet tone.  Practice what you preach is right...

First of all, most if not everyone who responded to your previous thread said they had no reason to believe in a god; so they don't.  I don't believe that little green me visit earth either but that doesn't mean I have any way to prove it...lack of evidence is reason enough to lack belief in something.

Second, what god are you referring to?  Certain types of gods are really stupid sounding when you simply them....you know, like god sacrificing himself to himself in order to overturn a rule he created.

Third, while it may be possible to prove some negatives you have to know what kind of evidence the thing in question would leave behind if it were actually occurring.  In the case of a generic god (like a deist god) it would leave behind no evidence so it is impossible to prove that a deist god doesn't exist.  

Finally, to propose that god must be true because it can't be proven false is faulty logic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

In short...absence of evidence may not be evidence of absence but it's a hell of a good reason to not believe something is real.

Davin

Why don’t I believe in God? No, no no, why do YOU believe in God? Surely the burden of proof is on the believer. You started all this. If I came up to you and said, “Why don’t you believe I can fly?” You’d say, “Why would I?” I’d reply, “Because it’s a matter of faith.” If I then said, “Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?” You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’Fâ€"ing fly then you lunatic.”

-- Ricky Gervais
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Which god..?

I don't think I can prove Quetzalcoatl does not exist, but I can prove (mostly logically and philosophically) that the god of the Bible, as described in it, does not.

I'm not going to do that though, for two reasons. One: I don't have to. I carry no burden of proof here. Two: It has been done so many times before that I am... Bored of it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "ChristianWarrior"So many people on here in different threads have said believing in God is stupid and nonfactual. My question to you is how is not believing in a God factual? You can't prove that God didn't exist can you? I'm not saying I can prove that he does exist. Practice what you preach atheists. Goodbye.
:verysad:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Quote from: "Tank"
With that user name, you shouldn't.    I'm pretty sure most of us knew where this was heading from the very start.   :sigh:
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: "Velma"
Quote from: "Tank"
With that user name, you shouldn't.    I'm pretty sure most of us knew where this was heading from the very start.   :sigh:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Velma

Baggy

Look at it this way. A (not very bright perhaps) Christian takes a look in an atheist forum to either a) peek at the hell-bound heathens, b) try to convert them or c) explore his own existing doubts a bit further.

If its c) maybe he is on the way to seeing a bit of sense!

McQ

Since I'm currently in the mood for facepalms:

Also just noticed that CW lasted less than a day here. Wow. Now that is not living up to a screen name. I knew lots of CWs when I was in the church. Yep, I did. Lotsa Prayer Warriors, too. Man, they could clench their hands together and speak gibberish like nobody's business!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Dretlin

If you want other people to believe what you believe, you need to give good reason and justification. You said in your own post that you can not do this.

Their is no evidence for any gods, so Atheism is quite accurate.

I do not have anything to practice because I do not preach.

ChristianWarrior

What a surprise. A bunch of people attacking someone who has a different opinion. I've been looking into some threads, and I can firmly say that some people are saying that believing in any afterlife or god is ridiculous and nonfactual. However, none of you can prove that god doesn't exist and there isn't an afterlife, can you? Each and everyone of you in here have found a way to wriggle around the question or not directly answer me.  I can't prove that God exists. I don't pretend that I can or believing in God and God's powers is at all factual. Believing in God is purely being faithful and nothing more. However, some of you on here are acting like not believing in a God is factual when it's the same exact concept as believing in God. It's all being faithful, so I would appreciate you people not acting like it's fact. Or you can continue to bath in your own ignorance.

ChristianWarrior

Quote from: "Whitney"I find it ironic that you just got done saying you weren't here to convert anyone or preach and then you post something like this in such a snippet tone.  Practice what you preach is right...

First of all, most if not everyone who responded to your previous thread said they had no reason to believe in a god; so they don't.  I don't believe that little green me visit earth either but that doesn't mean I have any way to prove it...lack of evidence is reason enough to lack belief in something.

Second, what god are you referring to?  Certain types of gods are really stupid sounding when you simply them....you know, like god sacrificing himself to himself in order to overturn a rule he created.

Third, while it may be possible to prove some negatives you have to know what kind of evidence the thing in question would leave behind if it were actually occurring.  In the case of a generic god (like a deist god) it would leave behind no evidence so it is impossible to prove that a deist god doesn't exist.  

Finally, to propose that god must be true because it can't be proven false is faulty logic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

In short...absence of evidence may not be evidence of absence but it's a hell of a good reason to not believe something is real.

I'm not trying to convert anyone Whitney, I'm just asking a question.I get why you don't want to believe in a god (There's nothing wrong with being faithful to your own religion or rather being faithful to not believing in a religion), but why do SOME of you on here treat not believing in God as fact and not faith?

Tank

I'm confused  :hmm:  didn't you just say goodbye?