News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Pope, condoms & male prostitutes.

Started by The Magic Pudding, November 23, 2010, 04:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Good old Pope Beni is in the news again.
Some people seemed to think he was starting to lighten up on the condom issue.
But no, condoms only have a very limited use.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 70080.html
QuoteThe pope then added: "There may be a basis in the case of some individuals, as perhaps when a male prostitute uses a condom, where this can be a first step in the direction of a moralization, a first assumption of responsibility, on the way toward recovering an awareness that not everything is allowed and that one cannot do whatever one wants."

So bad news female prostitutes, you just have to die, but don't worry heaven is waiting and the priests will look after your children.

Quotecondom use "is not really the way to deal with the evil of HIV infection. That can really lie only in a humanization of sexuality."

I find it strange that these supposedly celibate men, think we are seriously interested in their bizarre views on sexuality.

Thumpalumpacus

Next step: issuing condoms to priests.

inb4: "low blow."
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Sophus

Apparently he now supports condoms for everyone. Wonder how people who took the Catholic Church's original advice and ended up with HIV feel about this.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "Sophus"Apparently he now supports condoms for everyone.
Only when there´s a risk of spreading HIV or the alternative would be an abortion, apparantly.

The vatican still doesn't support birth control.

Inevitable Droid

Quote from: "The Article"The Catholic Church is one of the biggest providers of humanitarian aid in Africa, and some Catholic aid workers there have begun to simply ignore the Vatican's rule.

It is typical of Catholics to stay in the Church and simply ignore insane pontifications.*

* I am enjoying the extreme applicability of that sentence's concluding noun. :)
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

legs laney

Quote from: "Inevitable Droid"It is typical of Catholics to stay in the Church and simply ignore insane pontifications.*

* I am enjoying the extreme applicability of that sentence's concluding noun. :)

I'm really enjoying reading your posts, droid!
It really is crazy how some of these people think!
I wonder if it is all a part of some evil plan to eradicate human sheep (dark joke); although, one would think it would be evil to stand idly by during the advocation of so many HIV deaths due to the simple denial of protection.  (I wonder as they are riding bareback if they realize they are trading this life for their next one?)
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
- Autobio

Inevitable Droid

Quote from: "legs laney"(I wonder as they are riding bareback if they realize they are trading this life for their next one?)

Excellent point, since one could argue that what they're doing is suicidal, and suicide is, for them, a mortal sin! :cool:
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Prometheus

Its been said before it really doesn't make any sense for someone who is supposedly celibant to advise/make rules for people who are having sex. I have a theory regarding catholicisms stance on birth control and the fact that they seem to have a disproportionate amount of offspring. I think that early on(perhaps around a few hundred ad and afterwards when there were rival cultures to be displaced and eradicated.) this cultural strategy of "reproduce, reproduce, reproduce" coupled with the religions tendancy to either convert or destroy rival  cultures was a very successful way for the culture to grow. You can clearly see its success throughout history as roman catholicism has dominated most of the western world for many centuries. I dont think so much that this was planned out by anyone. I believe that this culture developed this tendency due to unknowable variables and following the law of natural selection it proliferated greatly due to the coincidental successfulness of its strategy. I'm sure each of you have experienced the generally intolerant nature of this religion. Many of its members see us(And anyone else who happens to not be one of them) as enemies to be converted, destroyed, or kicked out of the country and all the while they are popping out a seemingly above average amount of offspring who are prompty brainwashed into believeing the same old dogma.

I've been saying for years that voluntary and readily available birth control will be the first step to abolishing poverty and warfar(Also education on the subject and the ability for everyone to better themselves in their lifetime). i strongly believe that this is our only option if we hope to escape the cycle of (boom)prosperity and (bust)famine which we've been trapped in since the dawn of man. We're a lot like a bacteria in a petri dish which only has so much food and so much space. Our instincts tell us to grow as fast as possible but this only speads up the death of our culture.
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

legs laney

Quote from: "Prometheus"Its been said before it really doesn't make any sense for someone who is supposedly celibant to advise/make rules for people who are having sex. I have a theory regarding catholicisms stance on birth control and the fact that they seem to have a disproportionate amount of offspring. I think that early on(perhaps around a few hundred ad and afterwards when there were rival cultures to be displaced and eradicated.) this cultural strategy of "reproduce, reproduce, reproduce" coupled with the religions tendancy to either convert or destroy rival  cultures was a very successful way for the culture to grow. You can clearly see its success throughout history as roman catholicism has dominated most of the western world for many centuries. I dont think so much that this was planned out by anyone. I believe that this culture developed this tendency due to unknowable variables and following the law of natural selection it proliferated greatly due to the coincidental successfulness of its strategy. I'm sure each of you have experienced the generally intolerant nature of this religion. Many of its members see us(And anyone else who happens to not be one of them) as enemies to be converted, destroyed, or kicked out of the country and all the while they are popping out a seemingly above average amount of offspring who are prompty brainwashed into believeing the same old dogma.

I've been saying for years that voluntary and readily available birth control will be the first step to abolishing poverty and warfar(Also education on the subject and the ability for everyone to better themselves in their lifetime). i strongly believe that this is our only option if we hope to escape the cycle of (boom)prosperity and (bust)famine which we've been trapped in since the dawn of man. We're a lot like a bacteria in a petri dish which only has so much food and so much space. Our instincts tell us to grow as fast as possible but this only speads up the death of our culture.

yes, i totally agree with you.  that is why the newer religions are so high on promoting large families.  i have a mormon friend i've tried to explain this to, but she just doesn't get it.
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
- Autobio

Sophus

Not so fast!

They've changed their minds. Or maybe they just "misspoke".

QuotePope Benedict XVI's recent comments about condoms do not mark a change in "Catholic moral teaching" or "pastoral practice" on AIDS prevention or contraception, the Vatican said Tuesday (Dec. 21).
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Bubblepot

Well it's obvious why he condones condoms for male prostitutes and not female; he, like most gays and Catholics, has a thing for the little boys.

Recusant

Quote from: "Bubblepot"Well it's obvious why he condones condoms for male prostitutes and not female; he, like most gays and Catholics, has a thing for the little boys.

You've been a very busy little Bubblepot, haven't you?  The common word for nasal mucus comes to mind. I can't think why.

Unless you can back up your implied contention that gays and Catholics have a greater predilection for pedophilia than the population in general, this post is completely indefensible.  It displays contemptible ignorance and prejudice.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Whitney

I would suggest defending your statement about gays being pedophiles.  We don't allow people to say such horrible things around here unless they are true (In this case I know it isn't true).

So, please let us know what led you to think such a horrible thing so we can clear it up.  Otherwise I'm just going to proceed assuming that you are the same troll I banned yesterday using a proxy because he also had a thing for hating gay people.

Sophus

Quote from: "Whitney"I would suggest defending your statement about gays being pedophiles.

I actually advise against it because the result will be drivel.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Whitney"I would suggest defending your statement about gays being pedophiles.

I actually advise against it because the result will be drivel.

Nono... Asmodean is bored, so out with the drivel!  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.