News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Tea Party Predictions

Started by Sophus, September 16, 2010, 05:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Okay, we've talked about this before but since we've just had the last big primary in the country let's make some bets.  :D

Will the whacky Tea Party win the majority of their elections?

I am predicting that despite how terrifyingly stupid they are they will do well because they have enthusiasm on their side. Progressives and their voters are a little too cocky to win.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Martin TK

I think they will do a lot like the movement that got Nixon elected back in the late 60's, but the mainstream of America will soon tire of the "Grassroots" thing and it'll never last.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Sophus

Quote from: "Martin TK"I think they will do a lot like the movement that got Nixon elected back in the late 60's, but the mainstream of America will soon tire of the "Grassroots" thing and it'll never last.
I have no doubt it's a fad. I just think it'll be after they are elected people will go "what the hell did we just do?"
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

tymygy

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Martin TK"I think they will do a lot like the movement that got Nixon elected back in the late 60's, but the mainstream of America will soon tire of the "Grassroots" thing and it'll never last.
I have no doubt it's a fad. I just think it'll be after they are elected people will go "what the hell did we just do?"

True, but isn't that the same after every election??
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Tank

Watching and laughing from the sidelines  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

karadan

I heard that Palin was going to run for the next election. Is this true?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "karadan"I heard that Palin was going to run for the next election. Is this true?
I hope not.  I'd like to think the person running against Obama would be somebody BETTER.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "karadan"I heard that Palin was going to run for the next election. Is this true?
Ye, isn't she their intellectual leader? :hmm:

Tanker

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
I hope not.  I'd like to think the person running against Obama would be somebody BETTER.

Counting your chickens before they hatch aren't you. While the lase few presidents have run for multiple terms it's not a pre-decided thing. In fact I think most presidents have only run for 1 term so I don't think it's even a "usually" thing. Not to mention Obama is starting to piss alot of Democrates off, let alone Republicans. Of course I was trully shocked when Bush not only ran for a second term but won. So you never know.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Ye, isn't she their intellectual leader? :hmm:

Insofar as you can use "intellectual" in referring to Palin, I suppose so.  Of course, that's like referring to a brick as "cuddly."
Illegitimi non carborundum.

joeactor

tymygy

STEPHEN COLBERT FOR PRESIDENT ANYONE!?

:) No joke, I'd vote for him.
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Tanker"Counting your chickens before they hatch aren't you.
Not really, as that implies the potential for my assumption to even slightly affect the actual outcome.

QuoteIn fact I think most presidents have only run for 1 term so I don't think it's even a "usually" thing.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pr ... _in_office , 23 presidents have served two terms (Franklin Roosevelt actually served three and part of a fourth), 16 of those ran for both of their terms, an additional 8 ran twice but were not reelected, 2 were denied nomination for a second, 5 chose not to run again, the remainder were assassinated in their first term.  Feel free to double check my figures, but running for a second term seems to be more of the norm rather than an oddity.

QuoteNot to mention Obama is starting to piss alot of Democrates off, let alone Republicans. Of course I was trully shocked when Bush not only ran for a second term but won. So you never know.
He might not get the nomination, but I think that relies partly on who is likely to run against him as well as who the alternate nominee will be.  Aside from that, he still has a bit of time left to fix his reputation (even if that's unlikely).
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "PoopShoot"He might not get the nomination, but I think that relies partly on who is likely to run against him as well as who the alternate nominee will be.  Aside from that, he still has a bit of time left to fix his reputation (even if that's unlikely).

He will get the nomination.  Because he's seen as the de facto party leader, refusing a sitting President the nomination is a tacit admission that one's policies are failure.  And no group of politicians has the corporate will to admit failure.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tanker

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "Tanker"Counting your chickens before they hatch aren't you.
Not really, as that implies the potential for my assumption to even slightly affect the actual outcome.

new: No that coloqlialism means to assmume an outcome before all data is recieved. That is what you've done. So it's apt.

QuoteIn fact I think most presidents have only run for 1 term so I don't think it's even a "usually" thing.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pr ... _in_office , 23 presidents have served two terms (Franklin Roosevelt actually served three and part of a fourth), 16 of those ran for both of their terms, an additional 8 ran twice but were not reelected, 2 were denied nomination for a second, 5 chose not to run again, the remainder were assassinated in their first term.  Feel free to double check my figures, but running for a second term seems to be more of the norm rather than an oddity.

new: No need I wasn't sure hence the qualifiers "I think". No need to get defensive.

QuoteNot to mention Obama is starting to piss alot of Democrates off, let alone Republicans. Of course I was trully shocked when Bush not only ran for a second term but won. So you never know.
He might not get the nomination, but I think that relies partly on who is likely to run against him as well as who the alternate nominee will be.  Aside from that, he still has a bit of time left to fix his reputation (even if that's unlikely).

That's why I said you're counting your chickens before they hatch. Not all the data is in. It wasn't an attack just a cation not to make to many assumptions about an event years in the future that has many many variables.

(Wow I messed the quotes up on this one if anyone needs clarification I'll tryto fix it but frankly it's not that big a deal to me.I did mark and bold my responses though.)
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.