News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What makes people continue to believe?

Started by hismikeness, September 12, 2010, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

There's come a time in many people's life, I would imagine, where they question something about themselves, especially when it comes to God and spirituality. I know I did in mine, and I believe, for some reason, I saw through the bullshit that is religion and faith in gods and all the things that come with it.

So if this is happening on a large scale, yet people are still- for lack of a better term- remaining religious, what is causing them to continue to believe?

Is it different for different personalities? Which religion it is? Geographic location? IQ? EQ?

What was it for you, if you experienced it? Namely, if you weren't raised secularly.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

PoopShoot

I can't really speak for people who remained in their beliefs, but for me, the biggest hurdle I had to rational thinking was fear of hell.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Jac3510

I don't think there is a single reason. I think for many, religion is a part of cultural identity, and not just religion, but worldviews generally. Why is it is whole families have a tendency to be of a particular political persuasion, for instance?

Another reason is that people don't like to look at ideas that contradict their own worldviews. They would rather listen to people tell them they are right than they are wrong. That's just simple human nature, so even those who begin to question their faith (which is natural during the teenage years) are typically more open to arguments in favor of their faith rather than against it.

For others, I think there is a lot of emotional issues involved. Life is hard for many. Religion and spirituality provide a context for looking at life. It's been argued on this very board that atheism naturally produces more existential angst than theism precisely because it doesn't allow us to posit any divine purpose or ultimate meaning for anything. In many ways, then, belief may be psychologically motivated. How many people have turned to God when things have gotten hard?

A few even find the arguments in favor of belief compelling. It is almost universally held among atheists that they simply lack belief, precisely because they have seen no reason to believe. Yet many people do see reason to believe, whether those reasons are abstract philosophical reasons, implications drawn from modern science, or maybe just something as simple as an experience they had.

And for most, it's probably a combination of all of these things, and probably still others.
"I want to believe there's a heaven. But I can't not believe there's a hell." ~  Vince Gilligan

elliebean

Easy, I wasn't 'allowed' to think about it.

I still did, but my guilt always stopped me just short of accepting the possible veracity of those inevitable, rational conclusions staring me in the face all my life. Once I was pushed to the point at which guilt was overcome by such an overwhelming sense of dissonance, I finally considered the possibility that I had been wrong and realized that I clearly was. my reaction was something like, "Hmmph. Good to know." I moved on and haven't looked back.

Now my guilt is reserved for things that are bad, and is an extremely rare occurance.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Thumpalumpacus

Also, in the case of many adults, simple habit is the culprit.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

The Magic Pudding

You don't seem to be inviting the opinions of the never believers, but anyway here I am.
I'd say because it's easier.
A quote from a new member WhichWayDidHeGo   's first post.

QuoteWhile I do not believe in a god or any spiritual force, I have a strong moral base as I feel most humans do. I believe there is a right and wrong we should live by and my overall goal is to improve the world around us for my children and my neighbor.

Being atheist does have a big negative as I feel I am missing out o the fellowship available through religion. While I always disagreed with the religious concepts, the fellowship aspects of church always appealed to me and still does. I always respected my paster growing up and while his council was always religiously based, he was also a good source of secular wisdom. The friendships established in church were deep and long lasting often crossing the typical social divides. It was also a pleasant environment to share day-to-day issues with each other. Additionally, I always enjoyed the community outreach where we helped those less fortunate or just helped each other out (helping someone move, paint their house, helping provide food to the homeless, etc.). One of my fondest memories as a teenager was helping my dad with electrical work in a YWAM (Youth With A Mission) base in Mexico. Again, while I didn't agree with the religious outreach, they also helped the local community with a number of different work efforts.

I guess what I am looking for is a church without the religious aspects. A place possibly where speakers talk on different aspects of life such as raising a family, marriage, interpersonal relationships, etc. A place where I can take my family and my children have a place to feel secure with those around them and a place to help them grow into strong moral adults. I want a place where others are looking for fellowship, where people can discuss the day-to-day joys and pains of living on this wonderful and at times scary world. A place where a strong goal is to help the local community improve through regular charity efforts, both financial and with work efforts.

I have thought of attending a typical religious church and pretending to be a typical Christian. It would be easy for me to pretend to be a Christian with all the years of church experience I have, however I feel this would be a waste of my time, other's time and I would be lying to receive the benefits of church. This is contrary to the deep relationships I am looking to forge and a violation of my code of ethics.

Sorry Dave if you don't like me quoting this post, but it is such a good post.

Reginus

"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Reginus"It makes them happy.

Some, sure.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

lundberg500

Religion creates easy to understand explanations for most people. God did it. Mostly uneducated, but many educated people too, like answers that are easy to understand and that make them feel good like going to heaven after death. Most Americans will not even attempt to read about and truly understand evolution. Why would they when the preacher is telling them "God did it"? Most people don't like going against the common most prevalent answer that God did it either. They don't want to remove themselves from the comfort of the church communities that they are in and break away from the masses. Us atheists are wired a little differently. I could never accept anything that went against common sense, logic, reason, and sound knowledge.

As Napoleon said "Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."

Asmodean

I tend to answer the original question with "Hope and fear"

However, for some, continued belief is probably the result of momentum, for the lack of a more accurate word.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

ScaryBadReligion

Many people do not spend a lot of time thinking about it. It's a social thing. If your neighbours believe, and your family believes then it's simply more comfortable to continue believing.

Martin TK

I think for MOST of the people under 40, particularly in the South, church is nothing more than a social club.  At least it was that way in my old hometown, and appears to be the case in England.

I think that there would be more atheists, open atheists, IF there was some way to take away the stimatism attached to being an atheist.  I know when I first said to those who know me, "I do not believe in god, I am openly announcing that I am an atheist."  It was amazing to watch some of them, that I know NEVER go to church, run away from me so fast and distance themselves from me out of fear that someone MIGHT think the same of them.

So, I don't know the answer, I can guess, but I know organizations like the Freedom from Religion Foundation is making a difference.  If you go to their website, you can ask for a free copy of their Freethought Today newspaper, it is AWESOME.  www.ffrf.org
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

tymygy

Alot of it is, it's a lifestyle. They've grown up going to church, they've grown up being forced to be a certain religion.

And for other its hope. Any human will do anything for a price. If you tell someone, that if you believe in Jesus then you will spend eternity in happiness and joy. but if you don't you will burn in hell forever and ever. Most people are scared, I know I was. I was terrified...

I was a mindless zombie, doing whatever I was told just so I would burn in hell.

but Intelligence and open mindness got the better of me. Thank god I'm an athesit!  :D
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Being_Brave

Quote from: "hismikeness"There's come a time in many people's life, I would imagine, where they question something about themselves, especially when it comes to God and spirituality. I know I did in mine, and I believe, for some reason, I saw through the bullshit that is religion and faith in gods and all the things that come with it.

So if this is happening on a large scale, yet people are still- for lack of a better term- remaining religious, what is causing them to continue to believe?

Is it different for different personalities? Which religion it is? Geographic location? IQ? EQ?

What was it for you, if you experienced it? Namely, if you weren't raised secularly.

I'm not exactly sure what one particular thing it is that keeps people believing in God. There are some people who do it for the social interaction. I've heard some people say they feel comforted by the sounds of the songs (sounds affect brainwaves, so it's possible they do it for the same reason druids chanted?). I think you might be on to something with the personalities thing. Some religions, or no religion, appeals to people based on what they percieve to be right, or logical. I've got a decent IQ/EQ, live in middle-america, was raised Southern Baptist, lived agnostically, and teetered on athiesm until I started learning about how science interacts with faith..then joined the Catholic Church because of it. I don't think it was because I'm dumb, and it certainly wasn't because of my upbringing (most Baptists despise Catholics).
 :hmm: ....the world may never know.

Tank

Quote from: "Being_Brave"
Quote from: "hismikeness"There's come a time in many people's life, I would imagine, where they question something about themselves, especially when it comes to God and spirituality. I know I did in mine, and I believe, for some reason, I saw through the bullshit that is religion and faith in gods and all the things that come with it.

I'm not exactly sure what one particular thing it is that keeps people believing in God. There are some people who do it for the social interaction. I've heard some people say they feel comforted by the sounds of the songs (sounds affect brainwaves, so it's possible they do it for the same reason druids chanted?). I think you might be on to something with the personalities thing. Some religions, or no religion, appeals to people based on what they percieve to be right, or logical. I've got a decent IQ/EQ, live in middle-america, was raised Southern Baptist, lived agnostically, and teetered on athiesm until I started learning about how science interacts with faith..then joined the Catholic Church because of it. I don't think it was because I'm dumb, and it certainly wasn't because of my upbringing (most Baptists despise Catholics).
 :hmm: ....the world may never know.
I can't wait till you bump into Velma, her life story mirrors yours but for her the science issue pushed her the other way. It'll be interesting to see you discussing this.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.