News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Origins of Species on twitter

Started by Parsifal, August 23, 2010, 01:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Hi there,

In response to people tweeting the bible, I've started tweeting the Origins of Species.  I would appreciate it if you could follow my project and spread the word around.  I'm still pretty much at the very beginning and this will be a long term project.

The link is http://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted

Thanks!
Please support follow my mammoth project to tweet the whole of Darwin's On the Origin of Species at https://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cy

Tank

Quote from: "Parsifal"Hi there,

In response to people tweeting the bible, I've started tweeting the Origins of Species.  I would appreciate it if you could follow my project and spread the word around.  I'm still pretty much at the very beginning and this will be a long term project.

The link is http://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted

Thanks!
Basically a reasonable idea, but why are you tweeting the Origin of Species? There are now far better books about evolution and OoS is rather outdated and the language is a little impenetrable for a science n00b.

While it's a bit late now I would also like to point out we do have a rule here about linking in your first post.

Welcome aboard.

Regards
Chris

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How to discuss efficiently and effectively Before entering  into a serious discussion I implore you to read the first post of this thread.
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Parsifal

Thanks Chris,

Didn't know about the rule, where do I find it?

I agree about what you said about OoS, however, there is a lot in it that still surprise me that Darwin could have known in the 1850's.  We often tend to think that everything we know is recent (as in the last few decades).  There is also a lot of ignorance about OoS among religious people (who clearly show that they've never read).
Please support follow my mammoth project to tweet the whole of Darwin's On the Origin of Species at https://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cy

Tank

Quote from: "Parsifal"Thanks Chris,

Didn't know about the rule, where do I find it?
In the forum rules link in my post above  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Hello
Does Parsifal refer to the Opera?
There was a guy on the radio who tried to raise my awareness of opera.
Unfortunately he died after doing the job for 42 years, before I was totally converted.
Not as long a career as Alistair Cooke, he went for 58 years trying to explain America to the rest of us.
Just a couple more years and I might have understood the primary process.

Parsifal

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Hello
Does Parsifal refer to the Opera?
There was a guy on the radio who tried to raise my awareness of opera.
Unfortunately he died after doing the job for 42 years, before I was totally converted.
Not as long a career as Alistair Cooke, he went for 58 years trying to explain America to the rest of us.
Just a couple more years and I might have understood the primary process.

Yes, I'm a big opera fan.  I've deliberately chosen Parsifal for this forum because of the religious undertones in the opera (or sacred musical stage play, as Wagner called it).  It is usually performed over Easter.  The only female character, Kundry, reportedly laughed at Christ on the cross, and was cursed to walk the earth until she was redeemed, which happens about 400 years later when Parsifal redeems her.  The story is truly bizarre, although it has its meanings, but the music is divine.  Many operas require a kind of religious approach, namely the suspension of disbelief (especially the music of Wagner), however, the rewards for doing that at opera are normally immediate and tangible.

Parsifal

Hi Tank, just returning to why I'm tweeting Origins, is because the book is out of copyright.  The later books will need the consent of the author or the holder of the copyright to be tweeted.

Tank

Quote from: "Parsifal"Hi Tank, just returning to why I'm tweeting Origins, is because the book is out of copyright.  The later books will need the consent of the author or the holder of the copyright to be tweeted.
Ah! That's why the bastardised copy produced by Ray Comfort with the 50 page creationist introduction could be produced.

Why not contact Jerry Coyne author of 'Why Evolution is True' and see if he minds, then you could tweet both? Coyne's book is the best of a recent bunch of theistically accessible books on Evolution, I'm sure you'll have read it and if not I would highly recommend it to you.