News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Why not make everything perfect from the beginning?

Started by EaglesFanPhila, June 30, 2010, 01:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EaglesFanPhila

If there truly is a God, why wasn't the world designed as a utopia from the beginning? Why let humans suffer hundreds, even thousands of years of sickness, famine, war, rape, taxes, child molestation, kidnapping, murder, torture, thievery, adultery, politicians, welfare, loneliness, Britney Spears, Dick Cheyney, George Bush, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, The Dallas Cowboys, Chad Johnson, John McEnroe, Osama Bin Laden, The Unibomber, skateboarders, and last but not least - Polka.

If I were an all powerful being, I surely would have made everything perfect from day one. I'm still baffled by the biblical story that the biting of an apple is what has lead to so much scum and villainy.

I would like to hear a Christian's answer on this as well.

Tank

QuoteIf there truly is a God, why wasn't the world designed as a utopia from the beginning?

How do you know this isn't God's idea of utopia?

Just kidding

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

EaglesFanPhila

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Because he loves us.
I've heard this before. But if you don't believe in him, you may be subject to a steaming hot resort where snakes and insects ooze through your eyeballs, and dance on your kidneys?  I don't get it.  :hmm:

karadan

Well, according to the Matrix, entire batches of people were lost because they rejected the utopian society created for them by the machines. Maybe god thought the same thing. Either that or he's a barbaric lunatic with a personality disorder.  :D
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

EaglesFanPhila

Quote from: "karadan"Well, according to the Matrix, entire batches of people were lost because they rejected the utopian society created for them by the machines. Maybe god thought the same thing. Either that or he's a barbaric lunatic with a personality disorder.  :D
Well, according to Bill Maher - "God, in the Old Testemant, was a psychopath. He just wants to kill, kill, kill!"

Asmodean

"A" personality disorder..? My guess is he has at least five...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "EaglesFanPhila"
I've heard this before. But if you don't believe in him, you may be subject to a steaming hot resort where snakes and insects ooze through your eyeballs, and dance on your kidneys?  I don't get it.  :hmm:

Sorry, I was just echoing Carlin's classic routine (warning: foul language in this clip):

[youtube:1zcs0em8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo[/youtube:1zcs0em8]

KDbeads

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

EaglesFanPhila

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "EaglesFanPhila"

Sorry, I was just echoing Carlin's classic routine (warning: foul language in this clip):

[youtube:2380vo5i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo[/youtube:2380vo5i]
I saw that Carlin stand up.  Good stuff.

LoneMateria

If you buy into the whole god concept you have to believe he did this for a reason.  However if you think about it the all knowing god knew this would happen and if you are a Christian you must think that this is a good thing because the Christian god is good.  So as a Christian you have to believe that your god wanted to do all of this for a reason because he knew about it from the start and it is going on now.  Meaning that all the suffering in the world, all the "false religions", all of the people being tortured in hell is 1: planned it that way and 2: since he planned it this way it must be a good thing.  Since he planned it that way he obviously wanted it that way because if he didn't he could change it after all the god is all powerful.  So not only did the god of the bible not want a perfect utopia but he enjoys the suffering of the world because that is the way he wanted to create it from the get go otherwise he would have devised a plan that did not include suffering ... obviously he wanted it.

Or we can take Occam's Razor to this mess and say there is no god and the universe doesn't give a shit about humans.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

EaglesFanPhila

Quote from: "LoneMateria"If you buy into the whole god concept you have to believe he did this for a reason.  However if you think about it the all knowing god knew this would happen and if you are a Christian you must think that this is a good thing because the Christian god is good.  So as a Christian you have to believe that your god wanted to do all of this for a reason because he knew about it from the start and it is going on now.  Meaning that all the suffering in the world, all the "false religions", all of the people being tortured in hell is 1: planned it that way and 2: since he planned it this way it must be a good thing.  Since he planned it that way he obviously wanted it that way because if he didn't he could change it after all the god is all powerful.  So not only did the god of the bible not want a perfect utopia but he enjoys the suffering of the world because that is the way he wanted to create it from the get go otherwise he would have devised a plan that did not include suffering ... obviously he wanted it.

Or we can take Occam's Razor to this mess and say there is no god and the universe doesn't give a shit about humans.
You've pretty much summed up the discussion here. Good post! roflol

pinkocommie

Quote from: "EaglesFanPhila"If there truly is a God, why wasn't the world designed as a utopia from the beginning? Why let humans suffer hundreds, even thousands of years of sickness, famine, war, rape, taxes, child molestation, kidnapping, murder, torture, thievery, adultery, politicians, welfare, loneliness, Britney Spears, Dick Cheyney, George Bush, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, The Dallas Cowboys, Chad Johnson, John McEnroe, Osama Bin Laden, The Unibomber, skateboarders, and last but not least - Polka.

If I were an all powerful being, I surely would have made everything perfect from day one. I'm still baffled by the biblical story that the biting of an apple is what has lead to so much scum and villainy.

I would like to hear a Christian's answer on this as well.

I think it would make more sense to ask this on a religious forum if you're honestly interested in the theist perspective on this.  As an atheist raised in a non religious home, my guess would be some trite bs about it being part of an unknowable plan or something.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Thumpalumpacus

Put shortly, Omniscience and Omnibenevolence are contradictory claims.  They cannot logically coexist in the same being, given the state of the world.

freeservant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Plan ... ll_defense

QuoteA world containing creatures who are significantly free (and freely perform more good than evil actions) is more valuable, all else being equal, than a world containing no free creatures at all. Now God can create free creatures, but He can't cause or determine them to do only what is right. For if He does so, then they aren't significantly free after all; they do not do what is right freely. To create creatures capable of moral good, therefore, He must create creatures capable of moral evil; and He can't give these creatures the freedom to perform evil and at the same time prevent them from doing so. As it turned out, sadly enough, some of the free creatures God created went wrong in the exercise of their freedom; this is the source of moral evil. The fact that free creatures sometimes go wrong, however, counts neither against God's omnipotence nor against His goodness; for He could have forestalled the occurrence of moral evil only by removing the possibility of moral good.
Theism is neither true or false. It is simply that a person lacks a belief in naturalism.  Unbeatable Tautology!!! amiright?