News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

10 Things About Yourself

Started by Cecilie, May 16, 2010, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitty

ooo i luuuurrve those. used to live with one of those too (ex boyf was a reptile maniac). one day i'll get either a beardie or a water dragon, just have to get over the whole bug thing...
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

Buddy

I breed my own Dudia Roaches. They are the best feeders in my opinion. High in protein and easy to breed. That and they don't chirp or stink like crickets.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 11, 2012, 04:19:56 PM
I breed my own Dudia Roaches. They are the best feeders in my opinion. High in protein and easy to breed. That and they don't chirp or stink like crickets.

Wow. Good for you, being able to breed roaches! That would honestly make me shudder. Why, I don't know, seeing as I have absolutely no problem holding mealworms or crickets -- there is also a spotted leopard gecko in the family, too. I suppose it just comes down to their looks and the stigma associated with roaches being dirty.... which of course doesn't make logical sense if you raise them yourself; they'd be just as clean as anything else, really. But logic doesn't always trump our horrified gut reactions, much as we wish it could.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on May 11, 2012, 06:53:21 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 11, 2012, 04:19:56 PM

Wow. Good for you, being able to breed roaches! That would honestly make me shudder. Why, I don't know, seeing as I have absolutely no problem holding mealworms or crickets -- there is also a spotted leopard gecko in the family, too. I suppose it just comes down to their looks and the stigma associated with roaches being dirty.... which of course doesn't make logical sense if you raise them yourself; they'd be just as clean as anything else, really. But logic doesn't always trump our horrified gut reactions, much as we wish it could.  :D

I honestly found that the roaches are much cleaner than crickets. And they can't climb or fly, don't make noise, and don't smell at all. I'm sure you know how bad crickets smell. Plus Herman likes them much better than crickets. He refuses them now if I give him one. His favorite foods are pinky mice, Dubia roaches, and fish.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

kitty

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 11, 2012, 07:00:56 PM
I honestly found that the roaches are much cleaner than crickets. And they can't climb or fly, don't make noise, and don't smell at all. I'm sure you know how bad crickets smell. Plus Herman likes them much better than crickets. He refuses them now if I give him one. His favorite foods are pinky mice, Dubia roaches, and fish.

wow never thought of that. when you first said roaches, my main concern was them escaping, and then having to have the whole house fumigated, but if they cant escape that easy then thats just a great food source. once had a cricket escape and live behind the radiator. kept us up for three weeks or something crazy (living in a bedsit at the time).
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

Buddy

Quote from: kitty on May 11, 2012, 08:45:57 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 11, 2012, 07:00:56 PM

wow never thought of that. when you first said roaches, my main concern was them escaping, and then having to have the whole house fumigated, but if they cant escape that easy then thats just a great food source. once had a cricket escape and live behind the radiator. kept us up for three weeks or something crazy (living in a bedsit at the time).

I cannot tell you how many times I have had a cricket escape and be chirping all night. It is nice when they are outside, but when they are in your room it is just annoying. I keep mine in a giant rubbermaid container with part of the lid cut out and replaced with wire mesh. I also have an under tank heater for it because these guys can't live under 80 degrees F. Another great thing, because if they escape, they freeze to death.

jumbojak

1. Unlike most of the poster's on this thread I've been in lots of fights. (Those who haven't should count themselves lucky)

2. I room with a large german shepherd mutt. As far as we can tell he's half shepherd, half horse.

3. I'm the first person in my family to not travel overseas as a missionary. At least in my generation.

4. Most of my family are bat-shit crazy baptists.

6. I spend way too much time alone.

7. I spend WAY too much time reading the bible.

8. My hometown is the dog fighting capital of the world.

9. I hate sports.

10. And finally, two years ago I had a pet copperhead snake. We called him Cooper.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

harte.beest

1. I'm afraid of eskimos
2. Favorite sport to watch is congress.
3. Very militant.
4. My biggest wish is that I was King of Siam.
5. Drink too much.
6. Never been high (except for weed).
7. Feel uncomfortable around jews.
8. Fascinated by the religous and how best to abuse them.
9. Haven't killed in about 7-8 years.
10. Own more minds than I need.

OldGit

Yes, I used to be worried that I might develop an irrational fear of Eskimos.  So far, I haven't, and the worry has subsided, but sometimes I harbour the unpleasant thought that I might again begin to worry about developing an irrational fear of Eskimos.

En_Route

Quote from: OldGit on May 13, 2012, 10:39:40 AM
Yes, I used to be worried that I might develop an irrational fear of Eskimos.  So far, I haven't, and the worry has subsided, but sometimes I harbour the unpleasant thought that I might again begin to worry about developing an irrational fear of Eskimos.

There's actually nothing irrational about fearing Eskimos. Once they start moving into a neighbourhood ripping out their  central-heating , converting their windows to single glazing , harpooning the neighbours' pets and playing Bjork  albums at full volume, house prices plummet.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Amicale

Yes, I used to be worried that I might develop an irrational fear of Eskimos.  So far, I haven't, and the worry has subsided, but sometimes I harbour the unpleasant thought that I might again begin to worry about developing an irrational fear of Eskimos.

Oh how I love The Far Side...

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Good on the rest of you for not taking the bait.  I won't either, then.  *furrows brow, looks in another direction.*

harte.beest

Quote from: En_Route on May 13, 2012, 11:12:46 AM

There's actually nothing irrational about fearing Eskimos. Once they start moving into a neighbourhood ripping out their  central-heating , converting their windows to single glazing , harpooning the neighbours' pets and playing Bjork  albums at full volume, house prices plummet.

I just don't trust 'em :-\..... they look like their hiding something, I took a trip to northern Canda and just screamed: WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING OUT HERE?!!!......... they just stared at me ???

they're doing something up there... I just know it :-[

DeterminedJuliet

"Eskimo" is a bit of a misnomer. There's no actual indigenous group with that name. It's just something that white people came up with that stuck.
There's a large Inuit population in Labrador/parts of Northern Newfoundland. I've met a few and there's not much to be afraid of, really. Unless you're a caribou. 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

Quote from: hbthey're doing something up there... I just know it

Yes, they're watching the white men trash their land and destroy their culture.