News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

10 Things About Yourself

Started by Cecilie, May 16, 2010, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: Tank on January 26, 2012, 04:43:28 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 26, 2012, 04:40:29 PM
I suck at anything music related. :D
Not as much as I do! There were two grades of exames when I was 15. GCSE and CSE. The poor performers in a particular subject did the CSE. I did a CSE in music and got an 'F'! I actually have a certificate that shows I have no musical competence whatsoever!  ;D

That would have been 'O' Levels or CSE wouldn't it? I was the first year to do GCSEs.

...Anyway, it's the examiners problem if they can't appreciate your interpretation ;D Send us a tape...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Guardian85

Quote from: Radiant on January 26, 2012, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on January 26, 2012, 07:41:07 AM
Quote from: Radiant on January 25, 2012, 10:15:50 PM
1. I play the bassoon (You're awesome if you actually know what that is.  :P).

Woodwind instrument in the bass-tenor range. Common in orchestral and chamber music styles.
Doesn't everyone know that?

Sure. After they look it up on Wikipedia, that is.

I have been a percussionist for 15 years now. I have played in marching bands, brass bands and orchestra, in adition to a few garage bands. I did not need wikipedia to know what a bassoon is and I resent the accusation.  :P

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Harmonie

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 26, 2012, 08:25:48 PM
Quote from: Radiant on January 26, 2012, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on January 26, 2012, 07:41:07 AM
Quote from: Radiant on January 25, 2012, 10:15:50 PM
1. I play the bassoon (You're awesome if you actually know what that is.  :P).

Woodwind instrument in the bass-tenor range. Common in orchestral and chamber music styles.
Doesn't everyone know that?

Sure. After they look it up on Wikipedia, that is.

I have been a percussionist for 15 years now. I have played in marching bands, brass bands and orchestra, in adition to a few garage bands. I did not need wikipedia to know what a bassoon is and I resent the accusation.  :P

Sorry, just the way you worded it sounded a lot like the Wikipedia article.

I know the instruments are common knowledge to those of us who are interested in them, have played in ensembles, etc. However, to the general public they are not. Most people don't actually know what a bassoon is. People take a look at my case and ask what the instrument I play is and I tell them and they're like "Huh? What is that?". They probably recognize the sound, but they don't know what is actually producing it.

I have to assume the internet is no different.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Asmodean

You are actually a drummer, not a general percussionist, are you not?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

I played the cymbals for like a week one time in high school.

Hence my excellent grasp of cymbalism.   ;D

Asmodean

The Asmo is a sound engineer (Samplers, etc), semi-competent turntablist, a rather incompetent bassist and a competent general keyboardist.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on January 26, 2012, 09:07:02 PM

Hey, if it can be hit I'm gonna hit it...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 26, 2012, 09:19:57 PM

Xylophones, dulcimers... Pianos, for that matter..?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 26, 2012, 09:19:57 PM

That's what she said.  Hehehehehe

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on January 26, 2012, 09:09:35 PM

Hence my excellent grasp of cymbalism.   ;D

To quote the great percussionist Animal:
QuoteBAD PUN!
;D

-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on January 26, 2012, 09:09:35 PM

Hence my excellent grasp of cymbalism.   ;D

*snort, groan* OK Ali, you and I also seem to have a fondness for cheesy puns. I don't know where you got yours from, but my sense of humour is my dad's -- we both love wordplay, puns, and any other humour of that sort.

I guess I'll do a few more of these, just for fun....

1. One of my favourite fictional books of all time is Colleen McCullough's "The Thorn Birds". It's a beautiful saga following a family across 54 (1915-1969) years and 3 generations, set in Australia and New Zealand. Oddly, my middle name was given to me because my mother loved one of the main characters in the book. I guess you could say the story (692 pages long) grew on me, and I've re-read the book at least a dozen times over my life.

2. One of my favourite non-fictional books of all time is "The Canadian Home Cookbook", originally published in 1877 -- it lists housekeeping, table talk, dinner etiquette, social observances, the little housekeepers' roles (children), utensils, a TON of recipes for food, and another ton of recipes for everything from medicine to household cleaners. It's a fascinating book and I find myself dipping into it again and again, just to see what life was like here, back then.

3. If you can't tell already, I'm a total nerd.  ;D

4. My 3 and a half year old daughter calls asparagus "aspa-gwass", bananas "bandanas" (adding a D in there, LOL), and bagels "buggles".  :D

5. I found a barbie dress attached to my cat's leg. I have a sneaking suspicion I know who put it there...

I think that's good for now.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Mocha Chief

1: I'm 17 but have been mistaken for being as old as 25
2: Math is second hand nature to me
3: I'm 6'2
4: I love Construction work and Technology.
5: After highschool I plan on going into the military
6: At school I really don't have a crowd of good friends. really I'm usually the guy hanging by the side.
7: Ususally, I found something about everyone I know that annoys me... This is probably why I don't have many friends
8: I get a little claustrophobic when I am around alot of people
9: I have an extremely hard time touching people... When I bump into someone I automatically yank away. Even when I have a girlfriend and she grabs my hand or something, I pull away by instinct.
10: I hate highschool

Tank

Looks like you'd make a good engineer in the military?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Minime! Here is the proof by comparison:

Quote from: Mocha Chief on January 30, 2012, 08:56:40 AM
1: I'm 17 but have been mistaken for being as old as 25
26, going on 40

Quote2: Math is second hand nature to me
Sounds about right.

Quote3: I'm 6'2
Check. Or, pretty damned close.

Quote4: I love Construction work and Technology.
Check

Quote5: After highschool I plan on going into the military
Uncheck, but I did want to be a merc at one point

Quote6: At school I really don't have a crowd of good friends. really I'm usually the guy hanging by the side.
Yup. That sounds like Asmo

Quote7: Ususally, I found something about everyone I know that annoys me... This is probably why I don't have many friends
Ooh, yes.

Quote8: I get a little claustrophobic when I am around alot of people
The Asmo gets paranoid. close enough.

Quote9: I have an extremely hard time touching people... When I bump into someone I automatically yank away. Even when I have a girlfriend and she grabs my hand or something, I pull away by instinct.
The Asmo doesn't like any unnecessary physical contact except with those in his innermost circles.

Quote10: I hate highschool
Asmos are curious. They like learning. However, The Asmo disliked the school, mostly because of other asshole kids and a few overly arrogant teachers.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.