News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Anyone here have a theist significant other?

Started by sleep_in_on_sunday, July 13, 2010, 08:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihateyoumike

My future Mrs. Ihateyoumike is not religious. She does believe in other just as ridiculous things though, such as the loch ness monster, Bigfoot, and ghosts. I love it about her. It's so cute how she acts when I lovingly mock her for believing such nonsense. She thinks it's cute how I'm so damned scientifically oriented and won't believe anything without evidence.
I would never ask her to change anything about herself in order to suit my needs. If she makes an unwanted lifechoice change for me and resents me for it, then her unhappiness leads to my unhappiness.
I love her for who she is, good and bad and right and wrong.
It doesn't sound like you necessarily have that. In my humble and near worthless opinion, it sounds like since you have standards for her which she has changed herself to meet (has she really? Or will she resent it?) that maybe you don't truly love her for who she is, but who she can be for you. Again, just my thoughts. No offense intended since I really know nothing about you save for what I've read in this thread.
That being said, best of luck to you.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

sleep_in_on_sunday

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "sleep_in_on_sunday"2) Second of all, Phila.....sorry, you just do not get it.  Not flexing on veganism is NOT like forcing religion on them.  When they are of age, I will let them make their own decision.  I do not want them to participate in the torturing and unethical treatment of animals while they are at a age when they do not understand. Seeing as you probably eat hamburgers and pork rinds, you are not in a position to judge me.  You are the one being like the judgemental asshole here.  I'm sorry if you are single and bitter.

I have to disagree with this. You are denying your children essential nutrients which are especially needed for a growing child. You should feed them meat when young and let them make the choice to become vegan as they grow older. There's a reason humans have incisor and canine teeth.

You can get dairy and meat from humane sources. It isn't difficult to find. If you're the sort of vegan who thinks milking a cow is inhumane, then your mind will not be swayed.

That's a common misconception about vegans. I am very healthy and am not being denied any essential nutrients. In fact vegans are healthier than people who eat red meat (the same study also mentioned those who have a vegetarian diet including fish are the healthiest).
Eyes off my sig weirdo.

Tank

Should we consider the vegan issue a Red Herring and get back to the OP.

SioS has anything come up that you have considered interesting regarding the OP?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

sleep_in_on_sunday

Quote from: "Tank"Should we consider the vegan issue a Red Herring and get back to the OP.

SioS has anything come up that you have considered interesting regarding the OP?

Plenty of interesting stuff.....but it was hard to get around the other issue in the OP.  I guess I knew before hand that my gf and I should just get it out in the open and talk about it. I really don't think it will be much of an issue.  I know many of you have dealt with this before, but every relationship is different.

I suppose if it was a big deal to my gf, she would have left by now.  It's not like she goes to church and conducts bible studies in my living room.  I think we will be alright.
Eyes off my sig weirdo.

Tank

Quote from: "sleep_in_on_sunday"
Quote from: "Tank"Should we consider the vegan issue a Red Herring and get back to the OP.

Plenty of interesting stuff.....but it was hard to get around the other issue in the OP.  I guess I knew before hand that my gf and I should just get it out in the open and talk about it. I really don't think it will be much of an issue.  I know many of you have dealt with this before, but every relationship is different.

I suppose if it was a big deal to my gf, she would have left by now.  It's not like she goes to church and conducts bible studies in my living room.  I think we will be alright.
This might sound like a silly question or a trick question, but it isn't. Why do you like your girlfriend? What is it about her that makes you want to spend all your time with her and nobody else? Why do you smile when she walks in the room?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

sleep_in_on_sunday

Quote from: "Tank"

This might sound like a silly question or a trick question, but it isn't. Why do you like your girlfriend? What is it about her that makes you want to spend all your time with her and nobody else? Why do you smile when she walks in the room?

She's beautiful, intelligent, caring, has a great attitude, is a great conversationalist, stable, and awesome cook.  I can't really think of any negatives.

I know I'm not the easiest person to get along with, but she does more than tolerate it....she appreciates me for who I am. She always listens to me, but will challenge me at the same time....which I need.
Eyes off my sig weirdo.

Tank

Quote from: "sleep_in_on_sunday"She's beautiful, intelligent, caring, has a great attitude, is a great conversationalist, stable, and awesome cook.  I can't really think of any negatives.

I know I'm not the easiest person to get along with, but she does more than tolerate it....she appreciates me for who I am. She always listens to me, but will challenge me at the same time....which I need.
Having a spouse that will put up with one is very important, I know that my wife has put up with me for 30 years  :yay:

sleep_in_on_sunday

Quote from: "sleep_in_on_sunday"She's beautiful, intelligent, caring, has a great attitude, is a great conversationalist, stable, and awesome cook.  I can't really think of any negatives.

Having a spouse that will put up with one is very important, I know that my wife has put up with me for 30 years  :yay:

I'm in no hurry to bring any kids into the world.  But someday, I'd love the chance to be a father.

We've actually been together for a while, and have lived together off and on for a couple years (I am out of the country quite a bit).
Eyes off my sig weirdo.

Tank

I'm in no hurry to bring any kids into the world.  But someday, I'd love the chance to be a father.

We've actually been together for a while, and have lived together off and on for a couple years (I am out of the country quite a bit).
I don't think you've got anything significant to worry about. If you can put up with the cultural religious stuff and put on a brave face once all the ceremony is over and the door is shut on the outside world it's just down to you two. Tell you what though, make it a condition of the wedding that your in-laws pay for both it and your honeymoon   :D

karadan

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "sleep_in_on_sunday"2) Second of all, Phila.....sorry, you just do not get it.  Not flexing on veganism is NOT like forcing religion on them.  When they are of age, I will let them make their own decision.  I do not want them to participate in the torturing and unethical treatment of animals while they are at a age when they do not understand. Seeing as you probably eat hamburgers and pork rinds, you are not in a position to judge me.  You are the one being like the judgemental asshole here.  I'm sorry if you are single and bitter.

I have to disagree with this. You are denying your children essential nutrients which are especially needed for a growing child. You should feed them meat when young and let them make the choice to become vegan as they grow older. There's a reason humans have incisor and canine teeth.

You can get dairy and meat from humane sources. It isn't difficult to find. If you're the sort of vegan who thinks milking a cow is inhumane, then your mind will not be swayed.

That's a common misconception about vegans. I am very healthy and am not being denied any essential nutrients. In fact vegans are healthier than people who eat red meat (the same study also mentioned those who have a vegetarian diet including fish are the healthiest).

And was that study conducted with adults or children? I was talking about children.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

sleep_in_on_sunday

[/quote]I have to disagree with this. You are denying your children essential nutrients which are especially needed for a growing child. You should feed them meat when young and let them make the choice to become vegan as they grow older. There's a reason humans have incisor and canine teeth.

And was that study conducted with adults or children? I was talking about children.[/quote]

A simple google search would answer your question.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism
Eyes off my sig weirdo.

McQ

Quote from: "karadan"And was that study conducted with adults or children? I was talking about children.

Ok, we need to keep this on track.  :)   If you'd like to create a topic to discuss diet, go ahead and start one up. It would be interesting, I'm sure.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

sleep_in_on_sunday

Quote from: "McQ"
Quote from: "karadan"And was that study conducted with adults or children? I was talking about children.

Ok, we need to keep this on track.  lol.
Eyes off my sig weirdo.

McQ

It's ok, Sleep-in, my reminder was for Karadan. Anyone who wants to discuss the merits of various human diets is free to do so, but in an appropriate thread so we don't continue to hijack this one.

No problem with any of it.  :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette