News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Any Dog people out there?

Started by ClicheGuevara, March 07, 2010, 06:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClicheGuevara

I have a pup named Dante. He's a 8 month old german shepard/border collie mix, which means a ton of energy. I work 13 hour shifts and I'm starting college soon, my girlfriend also works full time and goes to school. .So Dante has to spend upwards of 10 hours alone some days.

We wanna get another dog, to keep him company and to help him burn some energy on those days I can't take him for a walk or to the dog park. .Any suggestions on some compatible breeds?

Dries

I would suggest a mixed breed which is just as energetic, doesn't have to be the same size though. Different sex is also an advantage, they are normally more compatible, but I would suggest that they be spayed/neutered.

Here's my two mutts, theyr'e inseparable:

Whitney

I would suggest going to the pound and telling them what kind of dog you have and let them help you pick out a companion of about the same age and energy level.  I think they should be close to the same size because odds are they will fight when they are first getting use to each other and dog fights aren't nearly as bad when one can't bite the other's head off.

G-Roll

another shepard or shepard mix maybe? labs are pretty playful too. border collies are hearding dogs right? another heard dog might be a good idea.
if i where you id watch the dog whisperer and see what ceaser says.
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Dries"I would suggest a mixed breed which is just as energetic, doesn't have to be the same size though. Different sex is also an advantage, they are normally more compatible, but I would suggest that they be spayed/neutered.

Here's my two mutts, theyr'e inseparable:

zOMG I just had to go to the doctor after suffering a cute attack.  Dries, you'll be receiving the bill in the mail.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

ClicheGuevara

thanks for the info guys. Dante is such a friendly dog that I think he'll get along with just about any dog. I was looking at the humane society website and we saw a few blue heelers we'd love to adopt.

theTwiz

I hear Blue Heelers are one of the best breeds you will ever own.  They are cattle dogs, though, which means it will need a job to do or else it'll get bored.  Having an energetic playmate might be enough.

P.S. cattle dogs will herd small children by nipping at their heels.  While this may not be a positive characteristic to some people, I find it to be hilariously awesome.

Also this thread is now about cute dog pictures.
[attachment=0:345106ph]dogbox.jpg[/attachment:345106ph]

When I get sad my favorite thing to do is Google Image Search the phrase "box of puppies". Goodbye, productivity
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

karadan

I quite like most dogs (I can't stand little yappy fashion accessories or huge hulking bark machines) but I prefer cats. Cats are just so much more awesome than dogs....In my opinion of course :)

Having said that, my friend has the most adorable black lab collie cross. It is super intelligent but seems to have retained 100% of the lovely Labrador temperament. I don't go there to see my friends anymore, i go there to see 'Dave' the dog.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

ClicheGuevara

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Will

I've been very, very happy with my beagle, Jack.

So long as you take the initial time to train them (especially not to bark in the case of beagles), they make great companions.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

pinkocommie

Here's the puppy I bought for my dad a few years ago, Sam.  He's pretty effing adorable, for a little rat dog.

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

MommaSquid

I love other people's dogs!  All the fun and furriness without the annoyance of picking up poop.   :)

Whitney

This is my dog growling at the camera because she thought it might steal her raw hide....

This is my dog stealing my pillow...

This is my dog part way through the [strike:1jnbsn0s]torture[/strike:1jnbsn0s] shaving process.

dogsmycopilot

Quote from: "ClicheGuevara"I have a pup named Dante. He's a 8 month old german shepard/border collie mix, which means a ton of energy. I work 13 hour shifts and I'm starting college soon, my girlfriend also works full time and goes to school. .So Dante has to spend upwards of 10 hours alone some days.

We wanna get another dog, to keep him company and to help him burn some energy on those days I can't take him for a walk or to the dog park. .Any suggestions on some compatible breeds?
Every dog has to let off steam somehow.  I would be very wary of the sporting breeds like labs and hunting dogs like the setters. Already you went a bit far getting a dog that needs good exercise and training when you admit you don't have the time. Greys, in spite of their running ability are couch potatoes. Danes too, for that matter. I would really think about this though. I have had to rehome so many dogs that started out like this. People had good intentions, but no time.

What do you have? Is there land where a dog can run even if it's only once a week? Do you have access to a pool or lake for swimming? Anything?  How does Dante get his exercise now? And not to be rude, but there needs to be no days you can't walk him. I mean, it's just expecting too much from him. Even a 15 minute around the block before bed is better than nothing.