News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Bill Maher - what's the big deal?

Started by McQ, October 08, 2009, 10:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

So I watched Bill Maher last night for the first time (his HBO show, I saw his old show before). Richard Dawkins was on for a few minutes, and Marcy Kaptur, and his panel of celebs/writers.

I have to say that I don't get the big deal with him or his show. His monologue wasn't funny, his panel was so ridiculously biased to the left that is was pathetic (Janeanne Garafalo was a total "lack of facts dipshit"). Marcy Kaptur was fine, actually.

But the whole show seemed like a bunch of self-congratulatory back patting, and serious whining like babies rant. Even Dawkins wasn't very good. He looked uncomfortable and Maher didn't give him much time.

I know lots of folks here might like the show, but I was seriously underwhelmed by it, and felt Maher came off looking like a whiny dick.

What do you folks who like the show see about it that's so great? Do I need to see more episodes or something? I sort of liked Maher before seeing last night's trash.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Will

Most of the time, Maher will have a conservative or two in an attempt at being equal. Those are the episodes you'd probably want to watch.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

I'm still not that happy about Maher recently tweeting (paraphrased) "If you get the swine flue vaccine, you're an idiot."   To me that just shows that he either doesn't do his research and jumps on whatever boat seems nice at the time or that he's an idiot who just happens to be an atheist that is sometimes funny.

Quote from: "Will"Most of the time, Maher will have a conservative or two in an attempt at being equal. Those are the episodes you'd probably want to watch.

Ya, I was actually surprised that they were all liberal when Dawkins was on.

McQ

I know my post/critique was rant-like, and I was obviously venting at my disappointment in the show. So, for the rant, sorry. But I have to say that I try to see a balanced view of shows like his, and it was impossible to find anything redemptive in that one show I saw. Perhaps it's not representative of what he puts out there most of the time. I hope it's not. I'm not conservative by any means (well, maybe fiscally conservative), but he should have had somebody on there that wasn't just there to yuck it up with the lame stuff. I guess Kaptur was that person, but she didn't have as much to say as Garofalo did.

Oh well, I guess it's not gonna be my cup of tea. I don't get HBO at home anyway. Only see it occasionally when I travel.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

We have HBO and I still don't watch his show regularly.  I really didn't even know he had a show till Religiulous came out.  We do record his show, but I think it typically gets deleted unless we have nothing else to watch.  

I think I'd agree that it is always biased towards the left (the libertarian view specifically).  It doesn't necessarily bother me for it to be that way, but if you are going for something that covers two sides of a story his show is not the one for you.  Even when they do have someone from the right on that person is typically an idiot.   I guess it's possible I haven't watched enough shows too...but that's my perception.

hismikeness

Quote from: "McQ"but she didn't have as much to say as Garofalo did.

Not many do. She's an idiot in my opinion. I hated the fact they put her on 24 last year.

Hismikeness
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Ultima22689

I like Bill Maher, some things about him I don't like but for the most part I like what he says but I guess i'm pretty liberal anyway save for a few minor conservatives views I think, now when it comes to his show it's hit or miss. The panel really helps drive the show and when he doesn't have a good one it doesn't do well. I prefer him to have at least one SMART republican/conservative on his show because when he does have them on they often say things that make you consider what they're saying opposed to the crazies that seem so vocal these days. I know it sounds kind of backwards to watch a show that is incredibly liberal leaning but at least Bill does put on occasion actual intellectual conservatives opposed to watching Glenn Beck and hoping to find a smart conservative.  It's a little off topic but I wish there were a lot more atheist conservatives out there,eh, i'm sure there will be as time moves forward.

Ninteen45

The show is hit or miss.

Most conservatives know what they will be in for when they go on, like some people with Penn and Teller.

It's biased, but it's not always like that.
Now I can be re-gognizod!

Big Mac

Maher was never really funny to me. I personally am tired of his political opinings because frankly it tends to have sexual joke somewhere in there. When he talked about gun owners with Ron Paul he made it a point about how buying a lot of guns had to deal with penis size. Really? I am tired of hearing people play that angle. Then they get pissed (Maher does this tactic quite often) when you turn the same joke on them and demand a more "grown-up" debate.

Maher's movie Religoulous or whatever was shit. He just walked around aimlessly fucking with the religious. He then claims he just wanted an honest dialogue. I'm all for trolling teh IRL scenes wit leet skills but it was just bad comedy.

I was waiting for Galvatron to show up and blast him.

Maher is the left's answer to Bill O'Reilly in my opinion. And I hate him just as much.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Big Mac"Maher was never really funny to me. I personally am tired of his political opinings because frankly it tends to have sexual joke somewhere in there. When he talked about gun owners with Ron Paul he made it a point about how buying a lot of guns had to deal with penis size. Really? I am tired of hearing people play that angle. Then they get pissed (Maher does this tactic quite often) when you turn the same joke on them and demand a more "grown-up" debate.

Maher's movie Religoulous or whatever was shit. He just walked around aimlessly fucking with the religious. He then claims he just wanted an honest dialogue. I'm all for trolling teh IRL scenes wit leet skills but it was just bad comedy.

I was waiting for Galvatron to show up and blast him.

Maher is the left's answer to Bill O'Reilly in my opinion. And I hate him just as much.

No, Keith Olberman is Bill O'Reilly. As far as his jokes about people buying guns en masse like China is going to invade or something, yeah, the jokes are warranted. I can't remember someone trying to demand Maher to act more mature, care to give an example. As for Religious I disagree, when he did actually talk to some open minded people he got interesting answers like from the priest at the vatican who seemed surprisingly incredibly great and intelligent. And what did you expect from a person going all around asking people about religion? It could have been Dawkins and he probably would have gotten the same thing.

Will

Due respect, but the left doesn't really have an answer to Bill O'Reilly. Or Glenn Beck. We have strong progressives and people a bit to impassioned for their own good, but there's not really an equivalent on the left for those characters.

Olbermann would be a bit more like a toned down opposite of Hannity.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Ultima22689

Well, yeah, that makes sense with Keith being kinda like Hannity but yeah, you can't really compare any of these celebrities like Bill Maher, Keith or any others out there, I'd name more but there aren't many I can think of that are really vocal and none of them say bat shit insane crazy stuff like the Glenn Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc. Now that I think of it I don't get why people say there are people just as insane on the left, i'm sure there ARE some out there that have some crazy ideas like eco terrorist or something but there doesn't really seem to be any psychos on the left that are notable, correct me if i'm wrong.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Will"Due respect, but the left doesn't really have an answer to Bill O'Reilly. Or Glenn Beck. We have strong progressives and people a bit to impassioned for their own good, but there's not really an equivalent on the left for those characters.

Olbermann would be a bit more like a toned down opposite of Hannity.

The Left is a bunch of hypocritical assholes who do the same shit conservatives do. They attack those who disagree with them. Don't believe me? Go visit a leftist site like AN and if you disagree they'll attack you like you're satan. The left and right are sides of the same coin. I'm in that little group of ridges between the two. This country has yet to have an intelligent news person who can keep it strictly business in a debate. It's all "ZOMG, you disagree!!!" kind of shit.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Will

Quote from: "Big Mac"The Left is a bunch of hypocritical assholes who do the same shit conservatives do. They attack those who disagree with them. Don't believe me? Go visit a leftist site like AN and if you disagree they'll attack you like you're satan. The left and right are sides of the same coin. I'm in that little group of ridges between the two. This country has yet to have an intelligent news person who can keep it strictly business in a debate. It's all "ZOMG, you disagree!!!" kind of shit.
I'm on the left. Do I do that? Do I attack people that disagree with me or do I show them respect?

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Will"
Quote from: "Big Mac"The Left is a bunch of hypocritical assholes who do the same shit conservatives do. They attack those who disagree with them. Don't believe me? Go visit a leftist site like AN and if you disagree they'll attack you like you're satan. The left and right are sides of the same coin. I'm in that little group of ridges between the two. This country has yet to have an intelligent news person who can keep it strictly business in a debate. It's all "ZOMG, you disagree!!!" kind of shit.
I'm on the left. Do I do that? Do I attack people that disagree with me or do I show them respect?

Same here, i'm on the left and I don't go around slinging poo everywhere. You can't make broad generalizations like that.