News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

TED: Difficult Questions, God and the Tsunami...

Started by Arthur Dent, December 19, 2008, 02:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur Dent

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/112

This is an interesting talk given by a reverend in the wake of the 2004 tsunami. The speaker uses a bit of logic and suggests that in the light of the event, maybe god needs to be redefined. I have a lot of respect for this individual.

As usual, this film was one that had pushed me to think critically about the concept of god before I became an atheist.
"In our tenure of this planet, we have accumulated dangerous, evolutionary baggage -- propensities for aggression and ritual, submission to leaders, hostility to outsiders, all of which puts our survival in some doubt. We have also acquired compassion for others, love for our children, a desire to learn from history and experience, and a great, soa

Will

It's terribly difficult for believers to deal with the truths of god highlighted by Epicurus (and countless people since). It's almost depressing to see attempts to rationalize god.

Oddly enough, I'd say that Rev. Tom may be close to allowing his crisis of faith to bring him to a more rational explanation of the universe.

Edit: Finished the video, he's clearly a pantheist now. Do they have pantheistic reverends?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Arthur Dent

Quote from: "Willravel"Edit: Finished the video, he's clearly a pantheist now. Do they have pantheistic reverends?

I certainly find this view FAR more tolerable than most views of god. If "god is everything, and everything is god" you just have to go with the flow; no conscious being to please or fear, everything just "is".
"In our tenure of this planet, we have accumulated dangerous, evolutionary baggage -- propensities for aggression and ritual, submission to leaders, hostility to outsiders, all of which puts our survival in some doubt. We have also acquired compassion for others, love for our children, a desire to learn from history and experience, and a great, soa

Will

Yes, pantheism is certainly more benign than theism. I can't remember any pantheistic crusades or genocides. And I can't imagine a pantheist scaring children with talk of hell or trying to get fairytales taught in science class.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Santiago

But like Dawkins said, a pantheistic God is much more "emotionally unsatisfying" than a personal God; Praying to the laws of gravity for instance, doesn't sound very gratifying for a believer.

Arthur Dent

Quote from: "Santiago"But like Dawkins said, a pantheistic God is much more "emotionally unsatisfying" than a personal God; Praying to the laws of gravity for instance, doesn't sound very gratifying for a believer.

True, but if they can understand that the universe isn't benign or compassionate, it's a bit easier to be satisfied with less.

Pantheism sounds like the force, haha.