News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

How?

Started by lmbarre, July 26, 2012, 10:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbarre

Mark 16:8 Then they went out and ran from the tomb, for terror and bewilderment had seized them. And they said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.

If the women said nothing of their experience at the empty tomb, how did the author obtain his "information" regarding it?  ???
puppet

Tank

Presumably they didn't say anything until they had calmed down. Is it explained elsewhere what happened?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

history_geek

QuoteMark 16
New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Has Risen

16 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus' body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3 and they asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"

4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. 5 As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.

6 "Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. 7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter, 'He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.'"

8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.[a]

[The earliest manuscripts and some other ancient witnesses do not have verses 9–20.]

9 When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons. 10 She went and told those who had been with him and who were mourning and weeping. 11 When they heard that Jesus was alive and that she had seen him, they did not believe it.

12 Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country. 13 These returned and reported it to the rest; but they did not believe them either.

14 Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.

15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

19 After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. 20 Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.

[a.] Mark 16:8 Some manuscripts have the following ending between verses 8 and 9, and one manuscript has it after verse 8 (omitting verses 9-20): Then they quickly reported all these instructions to those around Peter. After this, Jesus himself also sent out through them from east to west the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation. Amen.

-Bible Gateway ( http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+16&version=NIV )

...so, yeah. Apologetics, apologetics and apologetics. Even the the early Xtians seemed to love it
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: lmbarre on July 26, 2012, 10:11:55 AM
Mark 16:8 Then they went out and ran from the tomb, for terror and bewilderment had seized them. And they said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.

If the women said nothing of their experience at the empty tomb, how did the author obtain his "information" regarding it?  ???

In Matthew the women tell people.  Also in Luke and John. So, either there were several groups of women, and some spoke and some didn't, and Mark is getting information from the women who (at that time) didn't speak, or the accounts are contradictory.

For the record, the earliest extant account of the resurrection is Paul's account in I Cor. 15, and he mentions nothing at all about the women. He says the first resurrection appearance was to Peter (Cephus).

Stevil

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 26, 2012, 10:20:34 PM
and he mentions nothing at all about the women
This seems to be a consistent theme in the bible.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Stevil on July 27, 2012, 12:56:54 AM

Not really. Women are mentioned multiple times in the Bible, which is fairly remarkable, given their general social status in the day.  They really come to the forefront in the New Testament.  Think Mary, and the various conversations Jesus had with women.  Paul, a Jewish male, did seem to leave them out of the conversation more than the gospel writers (Luke and John give large sections of text to women).  But even he made the relatively enlightened statement that "there is no male or female ..... in Christ Jesus."  Furthermore, he entrusted the delivery of his letter to the Romans to a woman (Phoebe).  So, actually, the Bible gives a pretty substantial place to women, more than the cultural situation would lead one to expect.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 27, 2012, 04:13:21 AM
Quote from: Stevil on July 27, 2012, 12:56:54 AM

Not really. Women are mentioned multiple times in the Bible, which is fairly remarkable, given their general social status in the day.  They really come to the forefront in the New Testament.  Think Mary, and the various conversations Jesus had with women.  Paul, a Jewish male, did seem to leave them out of the conversation more than the gospel writers (Luke and John give large sections of text to women).  But even he made the relatively enlightened statement that "there is no male or female ..... in Christ Jesus."  Furthermore, he entrusted the delivery of his letter to the Romans to a woman (Phoebe).  So, actually, the Bible gives a pretty substantial place to women, more than the cultural situation would lead one to expect.

Oh yes, women are very important canon fodder in the bible.   :-\
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 27, 2012, 06:45:20 AM
Oh yes, women are very important canon fodder in the bible.   :-\
All except The Asmo's demon queen, as Recusant has oh-so-kindly pointed out. Refused to submit to Adam and now where is The Asmo's coffee? Huh? Where?  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

She's probably grinding one of your minions to make it. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 27, 2012, 08:53:12 AM
She's probably grinding one of your minions to make it. ;D
She better be!  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Think Mary
Mary's womb seemed significant, so did her virginity.
Her leadership, intelligence, personality and inner strength seemed unimportant (unless i am mistaken)

But even he made the relatively enlightened statement that "there is no male or female ..... in Christ Jesus."
Did Jesus swing both ways? I understand his romantic feelings didn't make it into the final cut of the book. Maybe he was asexual or bisexual or liked to play the field or was in a long term relationship, we will never know.
Seems strange that his 12 apostles were all men. The Catholics take that to mean women are unworthy of managing men in the Church heirarchy.
If only god could have known the future and the oppression women would have faced, maybe he would have chosen at least one woman apostle otherwise.

Furthermore, he entrusted the delivery of his letter to the Romans to a woman (Phoebe).
So women are worthy as postal workers, just not leaders, that's a big plus for Jesus sense of equality.

xSilverPhinx

It hardly seems progressive. In some other primitive societies women were the rightful property holders and tribal leaders, way before Jesus came along.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

history_geek

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 27, 2012, 09:18:15 PM
It hardly seems progressive. In some other primitive societies women were the rightful property holders and tribal leaders, way before Jesus came along.

...aaand the Greek/Roman "civilization". No wonder really that they accepted this new obscure little cult as their own, seeing as how they already had so much in common, and now the mandate of a "god" to draw upon.

Hmmm, I'm feeling grumpy this week, I wonder why ???

Also, as a side note, there's a gospel of Mary (Magdalena):

QuoteChapter 9

1) When Mary had said this, she fell silent, since it was to this point that the Savior had spoken with her.

2) But Andrew answered and said to the brethren, Say what you wish to say about what she has said. I at least do not believe that the Savior said this. For certainly these teachings are strange ideas.

3) Peter answered and spoke concerning these same things.

4) He questioned them about the Savior: Did He really speak privately with a woman and not openly to us? Are we to turn about and all listen to her? Did He prefer her to us?

5) Then Mary wept and said to Peter, My brother Peter, what do you think? Do you think that I have thought this up myself in my heart, or that I am lying about the Savior?

6) Levi answered and said to Peter, Peter you have always been hot tempered.

7) Now I see you contending against the woman like the adversaries.

8) But if the Savior made her worthy, who are you indeed to reject her? Surely the Savior knows her very well.

9) That is why He loved her more than us. Rather let us be ashamed and put on the perfect Man, and separate as He commanded us and preach the gospel, not laying down any other rule or other law beyond what the Savior said.

10) And when they heard this they began to go forth to proclaim and to preach.

http://www.gnosis.org/library/marygosp.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Mary

Of course, this is one of those books that didn't make the cut to be canon..
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Stevil on July 27, 2012, 09:38:38 AM

Mary's womb seemed significant, so did her virginity.
Her leadership, intelligence, personality and inner strength seemed unimportant (unless i am mistaken)

Luke and John give her words/wisdom a prominent place.

Did Jesus swing both ways? I understand his romantic feelings didn't make it into the final cut of the book. Maybe he was asexual or bisexual or liked to play the field or was in a long term relationship, we will never know.

He comes across more as asexual.

So women are worthy as postal workers, just not leaders, that's a big plus for Jesus sense of equality.

Phoebe (the one who carried the letter to Rome) was a "deacon" (a type of leader) in the local Greek church where she lived. She was also probably a business woman, given the fact that she was traveling to Rome.